Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : When monsters attack Munarvagir ((Possible Bug?))
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Stranger of Hope
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
IP: Logged
icon When monsters attack Munarvagir (0)  
Hi, guys. First off, I want to say that this game is unbelievable. I've honestly not enjoyed a game like this in years. (Only after years of going without them, does one fully realize just how relaxing the format of 2-D puzzle gaming is. It automatically relaxes you, stimulates your imagination. Like reading a good book. A feeling I've never gotten from modern 3D games.) The story is unbelievably satisfying (surely 2 or 3 times larger in scope than any of the original QFG games). The voice acting is as good or better than the classic Sierra-voiced games, and the music is wonderful. I love that characters sometimes say different responses depending on the people present, giving the story an alive feeling. I also love that there seems to be dramatic delineation between the character classes. (Yes, in the original QFG, there were alternate solutions, but they felt a little arbitrary, since it seemed that most of the time any class could use the solution of a different class. But in Heroine's Quest there seems to be constant distinction in puzzle solving.)

Anyway... I'm not sure if I encountered a bug or not, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing any vital parts of the story.

To set the scene: Version 1.1. I'm playing as a thief. Chapter 3. I had already been told by Aurvandel and Sigurd that they would give me their Eye of Thiassi if I could get enough people to vouch for me. (Although I'd yet to follow through on that.) I had JUST freed Kraka from jail (so it's late evening) and she said she would walk back to Munarvagir by herself. Wanting to see if she would be okay (or had anything new to say) I immediately used the magic horse statue to transport to Munarvagir.

There was a brief moment when I saw the Heroine standing inside the Munarvagir town gates with Kraka also there, and then the game immediately showed a cutscene of all the monsters crossing the bridge to attack the town. After that, the cast of Munarvagir gathered outside the library preparing to fight them off.

Worried that I'd triggered the game to move forward and I might not get another chance to do certain tasks(such as get the eyes of Thiassi), I immediately went to a previously saved game. This time after freeing Kraka, I just went to sleep in the Adventurer's Guild.

The next day when I visited Munarvagir, none of that bridge/attack stuff happened. I did various new things, like finding out that Sigrun had a husband, Helgi. I finally realized what to do with the odd-looking pile of rocks on the right side of the map. And I also got both eyes of Thiassi. Throughout this, I ended up seeing two new cutscenes: Trivaldi talking to himself about eating the Heroine in the toadstool cave. (That sounded so wrong.) And also Egther the Giant talking to the Norns--after which the game cut to Chapter four.

I did NOT see the cutscene again of the monsters coming to attack Munavagir.

My concern is, did I originally see that monster attack cutscene prematurely? (In which case, I guess this is a new bug to report.)

My other concern is: by rewinding the game and entering Chapter four without ever seeing that bridge-crossing cutscene again, will it never be repeated? Did I miss out on a vital part of the story?

[Last edited by Stranger of Hope at 03-21-2014 08:52 PM]
03-21-2014 at 08:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Fizzii
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
icon Re: When monsters attack Munarvagir (0)  
The Munarvagir attack is slightly random. You need to spend some evenings there and walk around the village.
03-21-2014 at 09:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stranger of Hope
Fizzii wrote:
The Munarvagir attack is slightly random. You need to spend some evenings there and walk around the village.

If I keep playing my current game (now in Chapter 4, with the face of Egther blinking on the map) will I eventually get the attack scene?
03-21-2014 at 10:06 PM
Fizzii
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
No, I believe it only triggers in Chapter 3.

It's not game breaking, it just means you don't get points.
03-21-2014 at 10:08 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stranger of Hope
Fizzii wrote:
No, I believe it only triggers in Chapter 3.

It's not game breaking, it just means you don't get points.

Thanks for the info. I definitely don't want to miss any cool storylines if I can help it, so I'll just restore a previous game.
03-21-2014 at 10:49 PM
Jack Stryker
Rank Points: 13
Yeah, if you've already gotten the eye from Sigurd, the trolls won't attack. That's the reason they do so, after all.
03-22-2014 at 12:43 AM
Corby
I believe getting at least one Eye of Thiassi negates that battle of Munarvagir scene, otherwise it will occur in the evening sometime. I tend to hold off the battle until all my companions are available to fight with me. :)

EDIT: Oh, good call Jack Stryker, it must only be Sigurd's eye. Didn't even think of that!

[Last edited by Corby at 03-22-2014 02:11 PM]
03-22-2014 at 02:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ConjurerDragon
Jack Stryker wrote:
Yeah, if you've already gotten the eye from Sigurd, the trolls won't attack. That's the reason they do so, after all.

Well
first - AAARGH! I strolled through Munarvagir at evening now up to the 29th day waiting for those trolls to finally come out so that I could go on with the final assault on the frost giants castle and they won’t come because I already got Sigurd’s eye... :surprise
and
second - who actually TOLD them that Sigurd no longer has the eye? He is not exactly talkative about even having the eye or what the eye is at the start. Is Brynhild actually Mata Hari and passed the news to Egbert?
10-04-2017 at 05:25 PM
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
ConjurerDragon wrote: who actually TOLD them that Sigurd no longer has the eye?

Egther has access to divination magic. That's how he knows the Eye was with Sigurd in the first place.

10-04-2017 at 06:00 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : When monsters attack Munarvagir ((Possible Bug?))
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com