Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Tribes: Ascend (From a slow, thoughtful game to the World's Fastest Shooter!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Keiya
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 73
IP: Logged
icon Tribes: Ascend (0)  
Is anyone else playing Tribes: Ascend? It's about the opposite of DROD speed-wise, but I figured I'd ask about and see if there's any friends I can hook up with for a match :lol

Edit: It's free to play, by the way! And since I have the top post in this thread, I might was well abuse it to post my referral link. :P

Official Hold Progress:
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by Keiya at 04-27-2012 11:40 AM]
04-26-2012 at 10:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Snacko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 448
icon Re: Tribes: Ascend (0)  
I was just about to post about this! I've been playing a lot of this recently between working on final papers. I've just unlocked Infiltrator and have been jumping between that and Pathfinder (with some occasional Sentinel should the match call for it); they both just play so delightfully differently from any other first person shooter class outside of the franchise.

I really like the increased focus on base operations as well. Sometimes it feels like an RTS, and setting up complex traps to protect the flag or generator is almost satisfying as finding ways to stealthily dismantle the enemy's setup. And grabbing the flag as 200 km/h is always exhilarating.

Username: Snacko.

EDIT: If your interest has been piqued about this game, it's free-to-play with some surprisingly balanced paid benefits. You can also feel free to list me as a reference if you give it a try.

[Last edited by Snacko at 04-27-2012 07:55 AM]
04-27-2012 at 07:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Keiya
I find it amusing you say "surprisingly balanced" while the plasma gun is as broken as it is. At least HiRez has acknowledged that...

It's a ridiculously fun game though. I'm 'keiyakins' over there.

Official Hold Progress:

04-27-2012 at 11:01 AM
Snacko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 448
Plasma gun is totally BS, but as for everything else, they seem to be on a level playing field. I would expect a free-to-play game to have premium weapons that always destroy anything else.

04-29-2012 at 06:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
Really? Cause I'd expect the opposite.

See: Team Fortress 2, Maple Story, Super Monday Night Combat, City of Heroes, almost every F2P game that isn't awful
04-29-2012 at 10:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Keiya
Snacko wrote:
Plasma gun is totally BS, but as for everything else, they seem to be on a level playing field. I would expect a free-to-play game to have premium weapons that always destroy anything else.

Yeah. One of the HiRez employees actually said that the plasma gun was OP because they, and I quote, "f***** up" on their forums... they seem to have tweaked it a little bit now, is it better?

Official Hold Progress:

04-29-2012 at 07:37 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
Banjooie wrote: See: Team Fortress 2, Maple Story, Super Monday Night Combat, City of Heroes, almost every F2P game that isn't awful
Good ol' SMNC. I've put in about 450 hours into that since the beta. And, sadly, spent about $150 on it, though I'm a fan of the devs and support their work.

Pay2Pretty is certainly the best model. If people like the game (Like I do), spending money on costumes is essentially rewarding the devs for your playtime.

04-30-2012 at 07:17 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Tribes: Ascend (From a slow, thoughtful game to the World's Fastest Shooter!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com