Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Need some help. not concerning drod
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
alpha-1
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
IP: Logged
icon Need some help. not concerning drod (0)  
I'm programming my own puzzle game.
But my game is a bit quiet and i don't know where to get some good wav- or midi-files.
Would be great if someone would help me out. :~)
05-03-2003 at 05:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: Need some help. not concerning drod (0)  
What sort of game is it, and what sort of music/sound files do you need?

05-03-2003 at 09:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
alpha-1 wrote:
I'm programming my own puzzle game.
But my game is a bit quiet and i don't know where to get some good wav- or midi-files.
Would be great if someone would help me out. :~)
One thing about the sound effects--it can be a lot of fun and not so hard to make your own. Get a nicer microphone (spend about $30) and get some sample editing software (trial version of CoolEdit works well enough). Most of the sounds in Caravel DROD were made by me in the basement of my old house. The sword swinging is a pair of old shears closing, with echo and pitch changes applied. The sound of a monster dieing was made by dropping an aluminum curtain rod on its springy end. Fun!

Please, don't rip off copyrighted material. If you see a sample that doesn't have any information about where it came from, then probably it is just a cheap rip and you shouldn't use it. Mike Rimer found a good site for samples. Maybe he will mention it here if he reads this.

For music, there is a vast array of MIDI files out there. Google, and you shall receive. You'll probably have to spend a tremendous amount of time listening before you find something you like, but when you find it, just contact the author and ask him if you can use it for your game. Probably, he says "yes" especially if your game is free, and if not, ask somebody else.

-Erik

05-07-2003 at 09:27 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sokko
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 336
Trial versions normally suck, but go for GoldWave! It's almost completely functional (in fact, I have yet to find a nonfunctional thing in it), and it's extremely flexible. I like using it to make my voice sound like a chipmunk. (very entertaining) The only limitation is that you're limited to 150 button clicks per session; after that, you get a nag message every 2 clicks until you restart the program, which will take about 2 seconds if you have a desktop shortcut. Usually 150 clicks is more than enough for me, and if it isn't, I just save my work and restart it. Also, for pitch bends, use the Doppler instead of the Pitch tool, it sounds much better. The only thing that's hard to get used to is the selection system; you have to drag with the left mouse button to set the start point of the selection, and dragging with the right button sets the end point.

05-08-2003 at 08:39 PM
Sokko
Wow, that CoolEdit thing looks... Cool! But the link to buy it says it's been discontinued, oh well. What are the limitations of that trial version?

05-08-2003 at 08:42 PM
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Re: Need some help. not concerning drod (0)  
Sokko wrote:
Wow, that CoolEdit thing looks... Cool! But the link to buy it says it's been discontinued, oh well. What are the limitations of that trial version?
Well, it's been awhile since I had it, but there used to be a dialog at the start that would allow you to pick any 2 (or was it three) sets of features you wanted to see. You'd have to restart the program to switch featuresets. Annoying, but still pretty useful.

Google for "syntrillium" (CoolEdit publisher) if you haven't already.

-Erik

05-08-2003 at 09:39 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Sokko
I believe that it has a time limit of 21 days to use it for. Then you must buy an activation key. Unfortunately for Syntrillium, the key is based on the name you enter at registration, so it's the easiest thing in the world to use a key generator to "buy" your way in.

05-10-2003 at 09:43 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Anything : Need some help. not concerning drod
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No