Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Subterra design question... (An object I'm not familiar with.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
B.J.Earles
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 18
IP: Logged
icon Subterra design question... (0)  
More than once I have seen levels that include what seem to be invisible walls. A good example is Invisible Maze by The Stew Boy in one of the level expansions. These are home brew levels, so I know that it was not hard coded. Could anyone please explain how this is done?
08-06-2009 at 01:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Danjen02
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
icon Re: Subterra design question... (0)  
I'm not sure of the process, myself, but I believe it's caused by some bug in the editor to generate said tile. :unsure

08-06-2009 at 05:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The Stew Boy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 247
It's a bug exploit. Basically, if (from the editor) you mess around with enough cloning machines/buttons, you might see an explosion in the top left hand corner. If you then exit and go to the editor, you might see some random objects at the extreme corners of the level. Invisible walls, or 'level border' tiles, can appear here. Then, just copy + paste them!
See this type of level for more info.

Other tiles that appear are 'unknown object' ones (IIRC). They don't seem to do anything.

[Last edited by The Stew Boy at 08-06-2009 06:09 AM]
08-06-2009 at 06:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
B.J.Earles
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 18
Thanks guys. Since it's a bug, it's probably not something I'm going to mess around with much, but it's nice to know.
08-06-2009 at 10:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
The Stew Boy wrote:
Basically, if (from the editor) you mess around with enough cloning machines/buttons, you might see an explosion in the top left hand corner.
Yes, except that this should no longer occur in the latest version.

Other tiles that appear are 'unknown object' ones (IIRC). They don't seem to do anything.
They don't. Invalid values for tiles are treated as blanks in-game.

Basically, invisible walls violate one of the design principles of SubTerra. Although some levels do play around with those design principles anyway, this is why they're not available in the editor.

08-10-2009 at 02:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Subterra design question... (An object I'm not familiar with.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com