Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : A couple questions for Schik
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Malarame
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
IP: Logged
icon A couple questions for Schik (0)  
You seem to know a lot about these forums, so I figured you might know the answers to these two problems.

In my profile, I used to just have "s around that quote. Now it looks all messed up. I tried adjusting it but I can't get it to look normal. You know what's wrong?

Also, it says there were 3 replies to my thread titled "That +1000 Thing", but I only see two replies. Am I just not seeing something?

Edit: I just posted this, and it already says there's one reply. Does it now count the original post as a reply?

[Edited by Malarame on 04-25-2003 at 05:43 PM]

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
04-25-2003 at 06:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
icon Re: A couple questions for Schik (0)  
I'll have to look into the quote thing - I'm sure it's just a change in how the sig is processed.

As for the # of replies - I noticed that as well, it does seem to count the original post as a reply. I'll see if I can fix that.

04-25-2003 at 06:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Schik
Okay, both issues are fixed, or so I'd like to think.

Let me know if you find anything else.

04-25-2003 at 08:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
For The "A Very Complex DROD Puzzle" thread, the link to page 3 from the board has disappeared. However, it's still accessible once you go into the thread itself.

04-25-2003 at 11:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
icon Re: Re: A couple questions for Schik (0)  
agaricus5 wrote:
For The "A Very Complex DROD Puzzle" thread, the link to page 3 from the board has disappeared. However, it's still accessible once you go into the thread itself.
Thanks. Fixed. Off-by-one error.

04-26-2003 at 03:11 AM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Also, I am on the West Coast, so in my profile I set my time zone as GMT -8, which I think is correct. But I just posted at 11:30 my time and it says 10:30 instead. Is there a daylight savings time switch that needs to be thrown, or do I need to account for that myself?

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-28-2003 at 07:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
MAN you guys are picky. :)

Okay - since not everyone uses daylight savings time, I added a new field to the Profile, so you can set it to use daylight savings time or not. The forum will (read: should) detect when it actually IS daylight savings time or not, you just need to decide if your location USES daylight savings time.

I made the default YES, as most people do use daylight savings time. Correct me if I'm wrong.

So basically - it should work now, unless your location doesn't use DST, in which case the times are now broken, and you need to uncheck "Use Daylight Savings Time" in your profile.

04-28-2003 at 09:51 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
Since we're asking Schik...is there any way to bring a poll up to the top without commenting on it, but voting on it? It seems strange in that there's new info, but no new post notification.

04-28-2003 at 09:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
zex20913 wrote:
Since we're asking Schik...is there any way to bring a poll up to the top without commenting on it, but voting on it? It seems strange in that there's new info, but no new post notification.

Instead, is it possible for the polls to be separate from the messages, for example, you could have two sections to each board, one for messages and one for polls, which are easily accessible from the other. This way they stay visible for longer, can be found more easily, and look neater, which should make sure that they are active for a very long time.

What do you think?

04-28-2003 at 11:35 PM
mrimer
Rank Points: 5064
Schik wrote:The forum will (read: should) detect when it actually IS daylight savings time or not, you just need to decide if your location USES daylight savings time.
Heh. Now we can wait about six more months before this issue raises its ugly head again :D
04-29-2003 at 12:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Malarame
icon Re: Re: Re: A couple questions for Schik (0)  
agaricus5 wrote:
Instead, is it possible for the polls to be separate from the messages, for example, you could have two sections to each board, one for messages and one for polls, which are easily accessible from the other. This way they stay visible for longer, can be found more easily, and look neater, which should make sure that they are active for a very long time.

What do you think?
How would you feel about a whole new section dedicated to polls?

-Groucho Marx
04-29-2003 at 01:58 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
zex20913 wrote:
is there any way to bring a poll up to the top without commenting on it, but voting on it? It seems strange in that there's new info, but no new post notification.
agaricus5 wrote:
Instead, is it possible for the polls to be separate from the messages, for example, you could have two sections to each board, one for messages and one for polls
Malarame wrote:
How would you feel about a whole new section dedicated to polls?

I must say, of the three of these, I like zex20913's idea. It would take a little bit of coding, but it should be very easy. Also, when the discussion/voting ends, it goes away like a normal topic.

agaricus5's idea would be a bit more difficult to code (but still not that hard). But personally, I prefer the polls to be mixed together with other topics.

Malarame's idea would need no coding (as I see it) but again, I think I like the polls mixed in with other posts on the various forums.

04-29-2003 at 03:40 AM
Oneiromancer
One more thing, Schik: I notice that people are starting to add avatars...well, the avatar I like to use I forget where to find it online, and I would like to upload it to the BB server. Usually BBs that allow this only accept files that are < 1 KB or so in size, in case you were worried about that. Is this possible to enable, or do I need to find an URL for the avatar box?

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-29-2003 at 09:52 PM
Schik
Oneiromancer wrote:
One more thing, Schik: I notice that people are starting to add avatars...well, the avatar I like to use I forget where to find it online, and I would like to upload it to the BB server. Usually BBs that allow this only accept files that are < 1 KB or so in size, in case you were worried about that. Is this possible to enable, or do I need to find an URL for the avatar box?
Right now, you need to find a URL. Uploading is probably not out of the question, but no code for that exists at this time.

04-29-2003 at 09:56 PM
Oneiromancer
Well, I found a link, although I like the quality of the one that I downloaded better for some reason. Anyway, perhaps I will find a better one at some point.

Game on,

04-29-2003 at 11:08 PM
Malarame
When a person posts a poll, that person can't see the results unless they vote. Can you make it so that they have the ability to see the results without having to vote? For instance, I just put a new poll up and I'd like to see how people are voting, but I don't want to vote myself.

-Groucho Marx
04-30-2003 at 02:37 AM
Schik
Malarame wrote:
When a person posts a poll, that person can't see the results unless they vote. Can you make it so that they have the ability to see the results without having to vote? For instance, I just put a new poll up and I'd like to see how people are voting, but I don't want to vote myself.
The only problem with that is, then the poster of a poll won't be able to vote. Unless I make it cleverly show both the options and the results. But that's more work than I'm awake enough to do at the moment.

04-30-2003 at 04:25 AM
Zmann
Rank Points: 241
You should do it like some forums do it. Make a vote button and a show results button. If you press show results you can no longer vote for that poll, just like you already voted.
05-01-2003 at 02:42 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Malarame
Schik, it appears that the smilies aren't hidden by secret text:

Click here to view the secret text

Is there any way to fix this?

-Groucho Marx
05-19-2003 at 09:56 PM
Schik
Malarame wrote:
Is there any way to fix this?
Since they're images, not really. If you add links to hidden text, they also show up:
Click here to view the secret text

Since the [secret] tag simply makes the background and text the same color, it's easy to fool it. I have an idea that could work better, but would be a lot more work.

05-19-2003 at 10:01 PM
Schik
Malarame wrote:
This is implemented at the new server (I know, I know, a little late, but.... hey)

09-27-2003 at 08:21 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : A couple questions for Schik
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com