Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Subterra bugs, speed+ multiple monitors.
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Irashtar
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 41
IP: Logged
icon Subterra bugs, speed+ multiple monitors. (0)  
Subterra's an awesome game, well, for me, in theory.
The speed just won't stay consistant, and even set to speed one it's sometimes so fast I can't humanly move only one square...
Also, strangly, when it's moved to my secondary monitor, it just freezes up. :?
12-22-2008 at 12:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
icon Re: Subterra bugs, speed+ multiple monitors. (0)  
The monitor thing is probably because SubTerra uses an old version of DirectX which doesn't support multiple monitors.

The speed issue is troubling, though. Does anyone else have this problem? I may be able to fix that in the near future, thinking about it.

12-22-2008 at 11:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The Mystic
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 18
I play on the lowest speed setting available, and sometimes even that's a bit too fast for the level I'm playing; then again, my computer is very fast to begin with (dual-core processor, 1GB RAM, etc.). Normally, the only time the speed is inconsistent is when I have a lot of programs working in the background at the same time.

This is true for both ST1 and ST2.

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by The Mystic at 12-22-2008 07:15 PM]
12-22-2008 at 07:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The Stew Boy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 247
I get the speed problem sometimes too. Usually it's fine, but sometimes when I run a level it'll suddenly play faster or slower than the speed that I set. Just now, for example, it played a whole lot slower, and only speed 9 was bearable (I usually use 6). Then, all of a sudden it snapped back to normal, and 9 was suddenly too fast.

[Last edited by The Stew Boy at 12-22-2008 10:34 PM]
12-22-2008 at 10:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
Hm. I'll have to think of a speed fix then, over christmas break. The SubTerra timer was written based on the assumption that re-drawing the screen takes a non-trivial amount of time, which doesn't appear to be the case on modern systems.

12-22-2008 at 11:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The Stew Boy
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 247
It seems to me that the game runs slower on larger levels with many moving/animated objects, and faster on smaller ones. Since I don't remember having this problem on other computers, it could just be that this computer is very slow. Turning details off improves the speed problem slightly, but it's still there.
12-22-2008 at 11:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
wonkyth
Rank Points: 15
I often find that when I test a level in the level editor in either ST or ST2(can't remember which) it goes really fast, but then sometimes if I save it first, the it goes a normal speed.

also one of my computers, My newer and faster one , just plays really slow all the time.

But Nonsense Transforms it"
- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
12-23-2008 at 08:50 AM
The Mystic
Rank Points: 18
I noticed another speed bug, though it's more of a minor nuisance to me. I have ST set up so that double-clicking a level opens the program. Then when I open the level in the editor, it replays at twice the speed setting. Also, if I then exit the editor and play a level normally, it too moves at double speed.

Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by The Mystic at 12-23-2008 04:14 PM]
12-23-2008 at 04:13 PM
Danjen02
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 11
I too have a speed problem, especially when I am testing custom levels. On a medium game speed (6-ish) adding just one new type (depending on how many are already there) of object could cause the game to go hyperspeed. Adding a second type, or removing the first seems to fix it. :unsure

12-26-2008 at 11:05 PM
wonkyth
Rank Points: 15
The Mystic wrote:
I have ST set up so that double-clicking a level opens the program. Then when I open the level in the editor, it replays at twice the speed setting. Also, if I then exit the editor and play a level normally, it too moves at double speed.

exactly my problem, didn't think about it like that.

But Nonsense Transforms it"
- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
12-31-2008 at 10:39 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : Subterra bugs, speed+ multiple monitors.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com