Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Totally unrealistic but fun hypotesis about DROD (Fallout 2 -> Fallout 3 ... Same for DROD?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
vittro
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 482
IP: Logged
icon Totally unrealistic but fun hypotesis about DROD (+1)  
Let's start with Fallout. Awesome games. Epicly awesome games. I didn't really enjoy the turn-based RPGs, but I love Fallout 3 and the story. Living in a post-apocalyptic future... sounds un-original, but Fallout's elements, like Vaults, Supermutants, Raiders and many other factions/buildings/weird stuff that makes it awesome. Anyway, we can see that Fallout 1 and 2 were turn-based RPGs, while Fallout 3 changed completely the gameplay, in a RPG with FPS elements. Not a FPS. Fallout 3's gameplay is a RPG with FPS elements, but this can be quickly changed by downloading the "Stranger" Fallout mod, which turns it in a FPS with RPG elements.

What about DROD?

Every DROD game has been a puzzle game, except the newest one, which is a puzzle-RPG hybrid. Actually, forget that, DROD RPG hasn't got almost any element from an RPG. It's more a maths game, a logic game, where you have to take wise choices to be able to finish the hold/quest.

This has been a radical change in the gameplay from the previous versions of DROD but was still a really small change compared to the fallout series' change.

What if in the future, the next DROD becomes a free roaming puzzle game with FPS elements? I don't really know, but I've had this idea from a long time.

Something like Oblivion, DROD RPG and The City Beneath. Obviously 35% a FPS and the rest a puzzle game. I don't really know how this would work, but I suppose it would have free roaming around the Eighth, dynamic factions (you can join factions, create factions, kill all the members of a faction (thus destroying the faction) or become friend/foe of a faction). Another thing that I would like in this game is a combat system like Mount&Blade, but still with puzzle elements. Or maybe the combat won't have puzzle games, while the environment would be full of them. Fuses, bombs... Let's say you have to kill a very strong enemy. You drop a bomb from your inventory and connect a fuse to it. Everything is in realtime, so you have to use timing correctly to succefully defeat the enemy by making the bomb explode. This is a puzzle, in my opinion. But the 35% FPS elements would make the enemy defeatable if the player is really skilled with the combat system. This would be a really nice gameplay, in my eyes.

Ever used the option "bot_mimic" in valve games? We could have something like that for the Mimic potions. (If you never played any of those games, or never used that console command, it makes the bots mimic your own movements, like the "mimic" in DROD.)

We could have the Invisibility potions that work like the "Stealth-Boy" in Fallout 3 or the "Chameleon" effect in Oblivion.

I know a game like this will never exist or be created, just because I think DROD and its universe would have to be well known around all the world, and Caravel would have to be a 40-man famous company.

But it's still fun to imagine how a game like this would work.

What are your thoughts?

11-25-2008 at 06:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
icon Re: Totally unrealistic but fun hypotesis about DROD (0)  
ROACH CART NOT PUSH SELF
11-25-2008 at 09:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
vittro
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 482
icon Re: Totally unrealistic but fun hypotesis about DROD (0)  
Banjooie wrote:
ROACH CART NOT PUSH SELF

WE MUST PUSH LITTLE umm... Mirror?

11-26-2008 at 12:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Totally unrealistic but fun hypotesis about DROD (Fallout 2 -> Fallout 3 ... Same for DROD?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com