Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Alert Monster 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Didouneto
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 79
IP: Logged

File: Alert monster 2.hold (9.4 KB)
Downloaded 107 times.
License: Other
icon Alert Monster 2 (+1)  
This is my new hold: Alert monster 2 !!!!! :D

[Edited by Didouneto on 04-06-2004 at 11:04 AM GMT]

[Edited by Didouneto on 04-07-2004 at 12:39 PM GMT]
04-06-2004 at 12:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: Alert Monster 2 (0)  
Apologies in advance, but the comments I have are not very positive. I'll try to keep them as un-offensive as I can.

I've had a look at about half of it (the north and east sections) and all the puzzles I've seen so far have been hack and slash, or variations on this theme. While one or two rooms like this are alright, having to complete half a level of them can actually be very tiring and trying on the patience, and after looking at 1S, without checkpoints, I just gave up.

What I'd suggest is to downgrade rooms like 1N, 2N 1W, 1N 1E, 1S and other rooms that I haven't seen that are similar (If there are any) to make them contain fewer monsters, thus keeping the hack and slash idea, but perhaps not being so tiring for players to complete. Also, rooms like these are not very interesting or inventive either, for the solutions basically require not much more than mindless killing.

For example, 2N 1W. Although there are roach queens in compartments in the mass of eyes, the fact the eyes are all facing the same way means that you can easily make incursions into the mass to get rid of the queens individually, and killing off the horde of eyes after really doesn't require much except a lot of patience. I'd suggest making the horde smaller -reduce the number of eyes (You could easily create the same sort of effect in a mass about half the size, and perhaps add a bit more in the way of tactical killing - make some of the eyes face different directions, or make sure there is a preset way to kill each queen, using force arrows and doors perhaps. Oh, and put checkpoints in the room.

From what I've seen, the hold is basically not very interesting or innovative. It's hard, but not because you need lots of cunning, but merely because you need lots of patience, and after a while, it gets a bit boring.

04-06-2004 at 01:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1181
icon Re: Alert Monster 2 (0)  
I don't have time to play the hold, but I might suggest that you stop putting your email address in the filename. All it does is make the filename long, and subsequently the name of the hold when it's uploaded to the holds forum becomes very long, and it's really quite annoying. If you want people to get your email address with the hold, put it in the ending text.

04-06-2004 at 03:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Alert Monster 2
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com