Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Little Shop of Wonders (oddities in DROD RPG)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Zaratustra
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 55
IP: Logged

File: Little Shop Of Wonders.drh (3.3 KB)
Downloaded 136 times.
License: Other
icon Little Shop of Wonders (0)  
The embryo to a hold that will feature many and various special items.

Some fun things to try (and break) on this unfinished hold:

1) Grab the Exploding Fist or Erratic Blade and leave the room. Notice how you lose all special abilities.

2) Exchange the Erratic Blade for another weapon, leave the room and re-enter. It's gone!

3) Exchange the Exploding Fist for another weapon, leave the room and re-enter. Extra-weird!

[Last edited by Zaratustra at 09-13-2008 07:48 AM]
09-13-2008 at 07:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Someone Else
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1306
icon Re: Little Shop of Wonders (+1)  
For 1), you can't have "End" in your scripts. If you do, then the ability disappears.
09-13-2008 at 07:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5064
icon Re: Little Shop of Wonders (0)  
Zaratustra wrote:
2) Exchange the Erratic Blade for another weapon, leave the room and re-enter. It's gone!

3) Exchange the Exploding Fist for another weapon, leave the room and re-enter. Extra-weird!
These are bugs that will be fixed in the first patch.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
09-13-2008 at 10:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pekka
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 302
There is a very interesting feature here. If you take the rusty sword and go fight the rock golem, the right lasts until the sword becomes too weak to harm the golem. Then it just stops and you can do something else.

I'm thinking you could probably use this to script fights that last a set amount of time and then stop. This could be done by setting the monster's DEF very high temporarily (to stop the fight). I haven't worked out the details yet, like how to conveniently set the DEF back to normal so the player can attack the monster again.

It might be rather pointless (normally when you decide to kill a monster, you want to finish the job anyway, right?), but it might turn out to be a fun idea to try in some kind of scripted variant of the game. Just thinking out loud here :)

(It's also possible to have the monster orNPC do something else after it is defeated, like is done in the demo with the goblin king. This is explained in the scripting guide in the Help.)

[Last edited by Pekka at 09-15-2008 05:50 AM]
09-15-2008 at 05:50 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5064
Pekka wrote:
There is a very interesting feature here. If you take the rusty sword and go fight the rock golem, the right lasts until the sword becomes too weak to harm the golem. Then it just stops and you can do something else.
Yes, if you can't hurt your enemy on a combat round, the fight will be halted. Otherwise, there would either be an infinite loop of no-damage hits, or you'd die and just have to undo the turn anyway. Either way, the enemy doesn't get killed.

I've thought up several monster variants related to this that I'd like to see/design in various encounters in an expansion or sequel.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 09-16-2008 06:08 AM]
09-16-2008 at 06:00 AM
Sillyman
Rank Points: 339
Y'know, that gives me an idea: Make a normal RPG out of DROD RPG! Hehehe.

09-16-2008 at 08:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Fafnir
Rank Points: 315
I like the idea of a hold based on weapon degradation, myself...

09-16-2008 at 08:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Zaratustra
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 55
Feel free to use the ideas therein. Also: For items with variable ATK, make sure to use a var to store the value, otherwise they can reset when dropped and reacquired.
09-16-2008 at 11:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD RPG Boards : RPG Architecture : Little Shop of Wonders (oddities in DROD RPG)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com