Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Statistics Page Modifications (cuz I'm a statistics junkie)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Drizzo
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 179
IP: Logged
icon Statistics Page Modifications (+1)  
So, I know it's already been requested to change the heading on the top 20 posters list to being the top 20 rank points list and having rank points per day and what not on there, but I would be interested in seeing a top 20 posters list as well, that had the list of who had the most posts as opposed to the most rank points... I imagine my lack of anything better to do as of late will put me on that list in all too short of a time (I've only been registered here 3 weeks and have 150ish posts :blush) I just discovered today the forum/topics and general statistics too, they were fun, and I was amazed that the puzzle tag has over 75 views a day... so if you find yourself with extra time (HA!), I would sure appreciate this

03-23-2004 at 05:54 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 783
icon Re: Statistics Page Modifications (+1)  
That's what we had before, and it was scrapped because of the very reason we have the new system because it encouraged people to go for quantity rather than quality. I asked on another thread, and was refused.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
03-23-2004 at 01:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Drizzo
icon Re: Statistics Page Modifications (0)  
I know that's how the rating was before, I don't really care about the ranks, I was just talking about the statistics page, which currently has weird data that isn't cohesive under the top 20 list and a division into two lists could only be better... and then they could advertise "NOW with 25% more Statistics!"
:P

03-23-2004 at 04:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Rank Points: 783
That's what I said. The mods want to break *all* ties with the old system and will not be keeping the number of posts, and Schik has stated this explicitly.

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
03-23-2004 at 06:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Drizzo
Doesn't make for very good statistics, then... oh well, one can easily extrapolate the posts by looking at the % of total posts up there, or just checking the profiles of the members who post way too much... I'm just a stats junkie like I said... It's what I like about sports, there is something to be said for the aesthetics of the game in play, but I really dig all the stats, and records, and trivia that goes along with it... I don't know why, but my brain hungers for trivia like I hunger for pizza bagels..

03-23-2004 at 07:01 PM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
icon Re: Statistics Page Modifications (-2)  
Drizzo, being a stats junkie in here is dangerous. Last time I showed off my talent for statistics, I ended up losing 7 rank points in one post (though I did prove conclusively that the second method for rank point adjustment works properly, so some good did come out of it :)).

03-24-2004 at 02:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Drizzo
*shrug* I can afford to lose 7 rank points... All these are earned baby! I woulda given you a + on that post btw, after seeing that it made TRH laugh, since that means it's not too mean, but the increasing scale woulda made that too expensive...

Of course, the big -4 makes me laugh too, sooooo... I'm just in this forum for the humor I think, that and the masochism of course... speaking of which, I got 3rice down to work on after this... mmm yes...

03-24-2004 at 04:29 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
DiMono wrote:
Drizzo, being a stats junkie in here is dangerous. Last time I showed off my talent for statistics, I ended up losing 7 rank points in one post (though I did prove conclusively that the second method for rank point adjustment works properly, so some good did come out of it :)).

You didn't get modded down for being a stats junkie, you got modded down for making a rather rude joke at someone else's expense. At least that's what I think (and no, I didn't mod you down, I decided to wait until Hawk's reaction and since he didn't care I don't either, but it seems others didn't wait).

Anyway, I don't think Drizzo has to worry about being modded down for bringing this up - though I don't think he'll be able to convince Schik either.

03-24-2004 at 04:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
I think the funniest thing about that post is that Hawk, the one person it pretended to slight, said he finds it funny, but four other people who it didn't mention at all spent a total of 14 mod points on it.

03-24-2004 at 04:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
eytanz wrote:
Anyway, I don't think Drizzo has to worry about being modded down for bringing this up - though I don't think he'll be able to convince Schik either.
I certainly wouldn't mod him down for asking. About the convincing part, it's not just convincing me. While I've written 99% of the modifications to the forum, all of the decision-making power does not rest in my hands. Several of us discussed the obsession over post counts and tried to come up with a way to divert everyones efforts into making quality posts, instead of just large quantities of posts. It seems to me that re-adding a big list of people sorted by post count is just going to make people strive to hit the top of the list again.

If the other Caravel people convince me otherwise, I'd change it back. At this point none of the team has even mentioned changing back to the old system to me.

03-24-2004 at 05:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
(note - this is a reply to DiMono, Schik got in while I was writing it)

True - but at least some of them may have been mods who have unlimited rank points...

Anyway, that's not very important - I just didn't want people reading this who didn't know what you're talking about to actually think you can get modded down by showing an interest in posting statistics.

[Edited by eytanz on 03-24-2004 at 05:10 AM GMT]

03-24-2004 at 05:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : The Site : Statistics Page Modifications (cuz I'm a statistics junkie)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com