Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : "Compass" Hold (A short JTRH hold featuring no-rotation room clearing.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
brian_s
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 587
IP: Logged

File: Compass.hold (8.8 KB)
Downloaded 76 times.
License: Public Domain
icon "Compass" Hold (+2)  
This is a short hold, only 9 rooms (no secrets). The theme is that each of the eight rooms around the entrance needs to be cleared without rotating your sword, and each room has different monsters and uses a different sword orientation.
08-03-2008 at 10:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bdwing
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 288
icon Re: "Compass" Hold (0)  
An enjoyable little hold. All rooms work as advertised. Not as challenging as some holds but still enjoyable.

"Until it ends, there is no end."
08-04-2008 at 06:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
Just so you know, there is already a published hold named "Compass Point" so it might be a little confusing if you publish this with the title "Compass".

I'm not saying you can't use the name, just letting ya know. :)
08-04-2008 at 12:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
I've played through this too. Everything works. Nice hold.

The wraithwing room has no checkpoints, and I had to start over many times.

The goblin room is cool! Since TCB came out, we've seen fewer and fewer good goblin manipulation puzzles, but this is a nice one. A checkpoint that I could use in the middle of the last section would be nice. (After putting two goblins on the force arrows, but before putting them in the the snakes.)
08-05-2008 at 12:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
I've played through, too(haven't solved everything yet, but already solved five rooms). I like the idea.

My favourite room is tar one. Mostly because I was stuck there in an hour and because it has quite clever solution. Good job!

Wraithwing room didn't take me much time - I even hadn't restart room and solved it with first attempt.

Guard/eye room has quite good idea, too. To solve it, player needs to know at least how does he kill guards using diagonal sowrd position and without taking much time killing them.

Brained roach room has a good solution, too. The main thing is
Click here to view the secret text
and then
. Nice room.

Seep/brained serpent room is my second favourite. I truly like the idea of it. Good job!

Well, now the rooms remaining:

Goblin room seems too difficult for me - I better keep wraithwings from killing me than goblins... and manipulating goblin with sword always facing west... I'll keep trying anyway.

Golem/serpent room: just haven't tried yet.

Roach queen/roach room: Oh, seems too difficult for me, too. I can't kill all roaches before queens again spawn... I must find good position of killing roaches.

Well, good hold, brian_s!
08-05-2008 at 12:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
mxvladi
Rank Points: 2505
Solved golem/serpent room. It's nice, well-designed and requires player to be observant. Good job!
08-05-2008 at 01:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: "Cursed grounds" Hold (0)  
Vike91 wrote:
And, there should be a character who kills some "critical hero" character when player turns a sword instead closing the door.
Er, no there shouldn't. I haven't played this hold, but (a) the architect should do whatever works for them (and there are lots and lots of holds that enforce not turning your sword via door-closing) and (b) I myself prefer a door closing to an irritating death scene.
08-05-2008 at 11:53 PM
brian_s

File: Directions_of_the_Compass.hold (8.8 KB)
Downloaded 51 times.
I have a new version of my hold. It has a new name "Directions of the Compass" and I modified the three northern rooms by adding/moving checkpoints.
08-10-2008 at 02:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
noma
Rank Points: 1594
icon Re: "Compass" Hold (+1)  
Found a bug:
Enter a room. Point your sword in the correct direction. Door opens. Turn sword without stepping into the room. Door closes. Make another move, such as turning your sword or bouncing off a wall or door. Exit room and re-enter. The "judge" does not re-appear to open door. You have to restart the hold or restore to a point where you used a checkpoint. You could say, "well don't do that" but it's something you might do accidentally after completing a bunch of rooms where you didn't step on a checkpoint. And take my word for it: that's pretty annoying.

08-11-2008 at 02:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
brian_s

File: Directions_of_the_Compass_v3.hold (9.2 KB)
Downloaded 44 times.
Third version of the hold. The bug noma found should be fixed.
08-13-2008 at 04:33 AM
Someone Else
Rank Points: 1304
In 1S, you can kill the lower block of 6 seep by standing on the arrows and moving up and down.
08-13-2008 at 04:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
brian_s

File: Directions_of_the_Compass_v4.hold (9.2 KB)
Downloaded 50 times.
Fourth version. Force arrows in the south room moved and a chackpoint added to the southeast room.
08-14-2008 at 06:34 PM
DanielFishman
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 159
A very nice hold - some interesting and challenging, but not horribly difficult, puzzles.
Some comments on individual rooms:

[Last edited by DanielFishman at 08-20-2008 09:16 AM]
08-20-2008 at 01:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : "Compass" Hold (A short JTRH hold featuring no-rotation room clearing.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com