Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Barleytown (Roleplay)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

3.3/10 (32 votes)
σ 2.52
Author Name:Felix
Submitted By:The-Ultimate-Shyguy
Hold Name:Barleytown
Theme:Roleplay
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:4
Number of Rooms:20
Number of Monsters:290
Version:DROD: The City Beneath (3.2)
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:-1 (+1 / -2)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Barleytown.hold (9.5 KB)
Downloaded 1118 times.
License: Other
icon Barleytown  
You're excited when entering Barleytown.
You approach the main bridge.
07-19-2008 at 06:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mxvladi
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2505
icon Re: Barleytown (+1)  
Congrats to Ultimate_Shyguy with his first promoted hold! :D

Well, there're only very few things to comment actually.
Puzzles are very simple. The point is certainly the city, but it's too small.

Well, Shyguy, next time try to create puzzle-based hold with weaponed player role.

EDIT: 1 fun and 1 brain.

[Last edited by mxvladi at 10-26-2008 05:04 PM]
07-19-2008 at 07:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: Barleytown (+2)  
This wasn't bad for what it was; but what it was wasn't very good. RPG-like exploration holds could be interesting, but in this case (as Gertrude Stein said of Oakland) there's no there there. The rooms are littered with NPCs, but you can't interact with them; there are places to explore, but very few, and really it's just a whole lot of walking through places (with some bad uses of cutscenes). I gave it a 3, though I also gave it a +1 on Karma, for putting it out there.
07-20-2008 at 12:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
Well, although I'm not listed on the credits, I did beta test this hold. Among other things, I provided a complete list of spelling and grammar corrections. The architect then deleted the thread and started a new thread for the hold, ignoring the corrections and my other comments.
(I'm not sure what they may have ignored from others, as I can't look at the deleted thread to find out.)

I've chosen not to rate this hold or give any (negative) karma, but thought this should at least be mentioned.

07-20-2008 at 05:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
icon Re: Barleytown (0)  
...What's the point of having negative karma if you're not going to use it?

What's the point of having a potential score of less than 5 if nobody will use it?

Sometimes criticism is necessary...and if it's not heard (because somebody deleted the thread) at first, I wouldn't be afraid to speak a little bit louder. And by speaking louder, I mean either negative karma or poor rating.

Note: I haven't played the hold yet, so this is just going off of Beef Row's previous statement.

07-20-2008 at 05:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Beef Row
zex20913 wrote:
...What's the point of having negative karma if you're not going to use it?

What's the point of having a potential score of less than 5 if nobody will use it?

Sometimes criticism is necessary...and if it's not heard (because somebody deleted the thread) at first, I wouldn't be afraid to speak a little bit louder. And by speaking louder, I mean either negative karma or poor rating.

Note: I haven't played the hold yet, so this is just going off of Beef Row's previous statement.

The hold is already getting very low ratings, so I didn't see the point of rating it based on my experience with the architect rather than the hold. If it had been getting 10s for fun instead, I would have felt more inclined to chime in as a voice of dissent. As is, I just feel like mentioning the issue in the thread is more likely to correct it in the future than an anonymous negative rating. Especially since its not clear shyguy removed the thread to eliminate dissent, he removed and reposted when he produced a changed version of the hold, so it may be just a misunderstanding of forum etiquette or of the edit function.

Certainly if he repeats this behavior, I would utilize low rating, negative karma and mod downs, but for now I'm going to allow for the chance its an honest mistake by a new member.

07-20-2008 at 07:00 AM
CuriousShyRabbit
Rank Points: 3170
Beef Row wrote:
Especially since its not clear shyguy removed the thread to eliminate dissent...
Actually, a different reason. He had submitted the hold to HA too early, and it got rejected. After submitting to HA, it is now impossible to delete the submitted hold from the architecture thread. Shyguy decided to delete the old thread when he found he couldn't replace the rejected hold. But, he still should have kept a record of the criticism in the old thread and used that to improve his hold.
07-20-2008 at 07:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Beef Row
CuriousShyRabbit wrote:
Beef Row wrote:
Especially since its not clear shyguy removed the thread to eliminate dissent...
Actually, a different reason. He had submitted the hold to HA too early, and it got rejected. After submitting to HA, it is now impossible to delete the submitted hold from the architecture thread. Shyguy decided to delete the old thread when he found he couldn't replace the rejected hold. But, he still should have kept a record of the criticism in the old thread and used that to improve his hold.

So if a rejected hold is impossible to delete, how do you submit a new version for promotion once rejected anyway? Is thread deletion actually the way it needs to be done?

EDIT: This definitely makes the situation make more sense as to why Shyguy deleted the thread, I just wish he'd taken note of what was said in it first.

[Last edited by Beef Row at 07-20-2008 11:52 AM]
07-20-2008 at 11:50 AM
slimm tom
Rank Points: 1226
I've played through it in a couple of minutes. It doesn't contain any puzzles worth mentioning. It's more some sort of exploration/story-esque hold. Nothing more to say really

3 for fun and 0.5 for brains.
03-13-2009 at 07:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
skell
Rank Points: 3734
And so on. Yet another Hold which I wonder how it managed to get itself onto the Holds board. Not only there are no puzzles, it is also pretty boring and not interesting - not even humorous *runs away to battle with The Consequence again*.

08-25-2009 at 10:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
icon Re: Barleytown (+10)  
skell wrote:
And so on. Yet another Hold which I wonder how it managed to get itself onto the Holds board.
This is a bit off-topic, but I think I can.

Caravel's policy is to publish every hold that is finishable without restoring. This is what they use to do and will probably stay that way.

What you can do is, however, is to comment on the better holds so that they can stay on the first page of the Holds board and can be talk about (instead of this one).

[Last edited by Tim at 08-25-2009 11:28 AM]
08-25-2009 at 11:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skell
Rank Points: 3734
Tim wrote:
skell wrote:
And so on. Yet another Hold which I wonder how it managed to get itself onto the Holds board.
Caravel's policy is to publish every hold that is finishable without restoring. This is what they use to do and will probably stay that way.
Yea, I know, it was just figurative talk (or however it was called).
I Am playing some better holds, but the problem is that they are insanely difficult most of the time and as a break I play the holds starting from the easiest from time to time and well, I just comment every hold I complete.
The good thing is that soon I will run out of the worse holds...

08-25-2009 at 11:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
west.logan
Rank Points: 608
The whole RPG thing is a good idea and it would be fun to have things like taverns, people to talk to, tasks, and such. My guess is that this was a practice hold for such a concept, because it didn't really contain any quests or puzzles. Nevertheless, it was entertaining to walk around and see what can be done with scripting.

06-01-2011 at 06:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bomber50
Rank Points: 872
An interesting attempt at an RPG. Granted, there doesn't seem to be any real objective to the game, more like explore randomly and see what you can find. The "dungeon" was funny, though I'm probably the only one who sees why.

1 brain, 1.5 fun (rounded to 2)
09-13-2012 at 02:20 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Barleytown (Roleplay) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com