Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Claythro Tower (Miscellaneous)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

8.3/10 (47 votes)
σ 1.41
Author Name:Claythro Budkin
Submitted By:ClaytonW
Hold Name:Claythro Tower
Theme:Miscellaneous
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:10
Number of Rooms:113
Number of Monsters:3305
Version:DROD: Architect's Edition
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:8 (+8 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: Claythro Tower.hold (59.5 KB)
Downloaded 4365 times.
License: Other
icon Claythro Tower  
I tried really hard with this hold to introduce concepts that no one has used before. Some rooms accomplished this feat, some did not. It's fun none-the-less... I hope!
01-05-2004 at 03:24 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
The_Red_Hawk
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 783
icon Re: Claythro Tower (0)  
Yay, it's finally out! :thumbsup

The red hawk's dance of death.

.....the king of the skies.....
01-05-2004 at 03:26 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ClaytonW
Rank Points: 961
The_Red_Hawk wrote:
Yay, it's finally out! :thumbsup

Yep. I must say, I was suprised at that monster count. 3305 seems awfully large.
01-05-2004 at 05:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
Clayton - did you mean to leave the warp stairs in the final product? Because some people may be tempted to skip straight to Level 7 and miss out on a large chunk of the hold.

"Oook!"
01-06-2004 at 08:48 PM
ClaytonW
AW CRAP! I made a big boo-boo. Thanks Krammer.

...but how can I edit the post?
01-07-2004 at 12:17 AM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
You can't. But Schik can. Ask him very nicely. I actually did the same thing with Treasure Hunt, I think...I left the warp rooms in and forgot to include the "improved" version of my easy spider room. But I realized it before anyone had downloaded it and gave Schik the new version to upload.

Actually, I think what he did was delete the original post and let me make a new one. I don't know if anyone ever noticed.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-07-2004 at 12:26 AM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
See, this is why I use my Entrance in level 1 as the warp room in Reubus' Palace. When I play through it to create the menu screen demos, it's something I'll be certain to notice.

01-07-2004 at 12:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Watcher
Rank Points: 902
ClaytonW wrote:
AW CRAP! I made a big boo-boo. Thanks Krammer.

...but how can I edit the post?

When you remove the warp stairs, could you please check that all other stairs go where they should? Because in the version I downloaded, the stairs of level 2 go to the Elevator Shaft.

01-07-2004 at 08:57 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Edit: The following is an untrue statement. It is reproduced here for posterity. Names have been changed.

Just mentioning that any of the Legendary Smitemasters can swap your hold out. This is an honest mistake, so we don't mind doing it.

Steve

[Edited by Mattcrampy on 01-07-2004 at 07:12 PM GMT]

01-07-2004 at 03:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Rank Points: 5381
Actually, please don't do that - it will break things. I'll fix it soon so that the user can update their own hold.

01-07-2004 at 03:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Okay, I wasn't aware.

Although I don't like the idea that the user can update their own hold - I think it leads to people uploading incomplete holds and swapping them out.

Unless you've got something planned to restrict that.

Matt

01-07-2004 at 06:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
My idea was to only allow changes to rooms - no new rooms, new levels, etc.

This would allow fixing errors but not incremental uploads of holds in progress.

01-07-2004 at 06:52 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
At one point I was discussing this with Matt and he said that one possibility was that any updates could not add or delete any rooms, because that could also break the Room Image Insertion feature. In this way bad stairways or small mistakes could be corrected but large changes couldn't be made. I don't know if this is still the plan. If so, it would be good to publicize it so that people don't make their warp rooms separate...although they could always just wall it off so you can only reach it in the editor, and in the Room Image Insertion feature you can have those rooms not show up. So, yeah, it could be worked around.

I know that I noticed recently that I forgot to put my blue door back in one of my secret rooms in Treasure Hunt...but since there are 128 downloads now I'm not too keen on updating it and then having people be confused at the difference. You would think that it probably wouldn't come up, but you would be very naive. :) It would become a massive issue precisely because you wouldn't think it would be a big deal.

Edit: Curses, foiled again! Damn my pedantic nature!

Game on,

[Edited by Oneiromancer on 01-07-2004 at 06:55 PM GMT]

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
01-07-2004 at 06:53 PM
ClaytonW
Watcher wrote:
When you remove the warp stairs, could you please check that all other stairs go where they should? Because in the version I downloaded, the stairs of level 2 go to the Elevator Shaft.

All stairs do go where they are intended... Did you read the scroll in the Shaft?
01-26-2004 at 05:12 AM
Koro
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 74
icon Can't Escape (0)  
Ah yes, another sequel to the main topic Koro ever posts about...
So the exit stairs in The Escape! Twice South Twice West send me back to The Escape! entrance. Kind of frustrating. To recount a brief history: I had this problem with Smallsome Swicks, but the reinstalling player and hold remedy that Avon, I believe it was, suggested solved that. I have beaten maybe seven more holds since then, without any trouble. Now the trouble returns in Claythro Tower, and reinstalling players and holds is of no use. Now, the mischievous nature of the hold suggests this might be intentional as I fell for some of the other little misdirected level surprises. So any ideas out there?
Thank ye,
Koro

02-04-2004 at 09:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Phweengee
Rank Points: 66
icon Re: Claythro Tower (+1)  
Hey everyone. I have that same problem where completion of the escape level resets it. That is all there is to the whole tower, correct? If so, then I can proudly say I solved Claythro's tower without any tips, hints, demos or other advice of any sort. Sorry to brag, but I'm proud of myself:)

03-29-2004 at 03:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ClaytonW
Excellent Work, Phweengee. (BTW, I remember you from the Yahoo! Group, it seems like so long ago. I think my username then was TheSuperSaiyan84, or maybe not. Whatever, not important.)

ATTN: Forum Powers that Be:
I finally started getting worried about the problems with Claythro Tower's Ending. I checked it, and sure enough, the stairs lead back to the Escape, but it's not my fault, honest. I double checked all the stairs twice (so I guess that means 4 times :)) once when I first uploaded it to the Holds board, and again when I had to make the correction on the Ground Floor. So I didn't do it. Anywho, I tried to update Claythro Tower, but I can't:

"Can't find Level 'Fifth Story' Room -2, 0 in the existing hold. If you think this is an error, please contact an administrator."

Now, I'm 100% sure I didn't add any rooms, especially on the Fifth Story, because that's the portrait level. What should I do?

03-29-2004 at 05:04 AM
Phweengee
Oh, there was a question I was gonna ask, but forgot. I was counting on being able to edit the hold upon completion of it, particularly because I wanted to go back and read the message on the note in the bottle. What was it?:)

03-29-2004 at 05:07 AM
ClaytonW
Phweengee wrote:
Oh, there was a question I was gonna ask, but forgot. I was counting on being able to edit the hold upon completion of it, particularly because I wanted to go back and read the message on the note in the bottle. What was it?:)

Something along the lines of:
Click here to view the secret text
:)
03-29-2004 at 07:56 AM
Phweengee
Heh, thanks man.

03-29-2004 at 02:37 PM
Schik
ClaytonW wrote:
"Can't find Level 'Fifth Story' Room -2, 0 in the existing hold. If you think this is an error, please contact an administrator."

Now, I'm 100% sure I didn't add any rooms, especially on the Fifth Story, because that's the portrait level. What should I do?
I'd say you should "please contact an administrator." :)

Send me the new hold - I'll take ownership of your hold on the testing forum and debug the process there. matts at caravelgames dot com.

03-29-2004 at 02:57 PM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
ClaytonW wrote:
ATTN: Forum Powers that Be:
I finally started getting worried about the problems with Claythro Tower's Ending. I checked it, and sure enough, the stairs lead back to the Escape, but it's not my fault, honest. I double checked all the stairs twice (so I guess that means 4 times :)) once when I first uploaded it to the Holds board, and again when I had to make the correction on the Ground Floor. So I didn't do it.
I had this exact problem with Reubus. I checked all the stairs before exporting, and then after I uploaded it here the stairs on the last level went back to the beginning of the level again. I think it's a game bug though, because when I snooped around in the hold on my computer to investigate the stairs really were pointing to the beginning of the level, despite my not directing them there.

03-29-2004 at 02:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ClaytonW
Schik is cool, and did something computer-y. The exit stairs in Claythro Tower should work now. (That is, if you download it again.)
03-31-2004 at 02:23 AM
yarnexpress
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 24
icon Re: Claythro Tower (+1)  
I love this hold! It was great fun. Not too hard not too easy. I'm almost glad the Drod site went down, so I decided to go it alone after the elevator shaft.
05-14-2004 at 12:43 AM
Stefan
Rank Points: 2119
icon Claythro Tower Challenge (0)  
C h a l l e n g e !
 Claythro Tower - The Rooftop: Septence North, Once West 

Conquer the room without stepping on the scroll.

Not extremely difficult, but still challenging. :)

[Edited by Stefan on 06-30-2004 at 11:23 PM GMT]
06-30-2004 at 06:41 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
CrazyDiamond
Rank Points: 38
ClaytonW wrote:
Schik is cool, and did something computer-y. The exit stairs in Claythro Tower should work now. (That is, if you download it again.)
I have finished your hold, but the last level doesn't work?
what do I have to do?
I have had the same problem with bad evil restaurant and bjorns..etc
please someone ask me (better in italian, because i haven't understood very well what you wrote about solving this problem)
thank you!!
09-17-2004 at 07:49 PM
patmo98
Rank Points: 39
CrazyDiamond wrote:
I have finished your hold, but the last level doesn't work?
what do I have to do?
I have had the same problem with bad evil restaurant and bjorns..etc
please someone ask me (better in italian, because i haven't understood very well what you wrote about solving this problem)
thank you!!

If you download Claythro Tower again and import it again the problem should be fixed, but I think this will remove all of your victory demos and you will only be able to start at the beginning of a level. Luckily you should be able to start at the beginning of “The Escape”.

EDIT: I finally managed to complead the long and cool hold. Even if I did feeling like strangleing something after the serpent and tar level. ;)
I also hated this nasty room because
I was actually stuck on this room for about four months. I also started to lose patience in the master of patience room. i.e the three tar mother room.

[Edited by patmo98 at Local Time:10-07-2004 at 05:23 PM]
10-07-2004 at 05:13 PM
Hatlore
Rank Points: 42
I would like to stress that your hold is anaethema to all things sane and a fountain of chaos. The rooms all require insane little tricks to complete, and some of the concepts introduced are mind bogglingly evil.

It goes without saying that this is an awesome hold until the rooftop. I can't believe some of the things you did to perfectly reasonable Dugan rooms on that floor and while I salute the downright vicious nature of your hold, I would actually suggest you trying making things fun instead of pointlessly vindictive and vile.

It all went sour when you made a revised version of the three tar mother room from Dugan's that I hated so much. The novelty of your hold and it's sinister qualities has worn off and I will play fun holds instead.

[Edited by Hatlore at Local Time:10-18-2004 at 05:27 AM]
10-16-2004 at 07:35 AM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226

EDIT : GOT IT.

Is there a design flaw in level 2?

I've conquered all rooms and

I've found one crumby wall from 1N1W but I can't reach it anymore because the tar mother is dead and the other direction is blocked by tar and red door.

edit:screwed tags
edit:

[Edited by Doom at Local Time:10-22-2004 at 10:37 PM]
10-16-2004 at 09:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: Claythro Tower (+5)  
ClaytonW wrote (in Fireside thread):

Also, I've yet to award those 5 points for identifying the 3 objects in that room. (I have a feeling people are gonna yell at me for not doing a good enough job representing the objects I tried to.)
I PM'ed Clayton and asked if anyone had it yet.
As those 5 points are still unawarded, Here's the answer:

The 3 mysterious objects are

02-12-2005 at 06:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : Claythro Tower (Miscellaneous)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com