Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : ATOTK mechanics of the ending(s) (How do you know if you're right?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
retiredgamer
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
IP: Logged
icon ATOTK mechanics of the ending(s) (0)  
Is there going to be some explanation of who the assassin actually is and his/her specific motive for the murder of the King,if you keep on playing after being told you don't have the whole truth? Or does the truth just always remain an unsolved mystery if you don't guess it right? I have re-tried entering my best GUESSES so many times I'm getting sick of it. I must be guessing wrong because I don't get the 8 honor points. Could I have the right assassin and the wrong motive, or could I have the wrong assassin and the right motive? Is there ultimately any way to find out whether I am even half right? I'm not lazy or wanting shortcuts, I'm just an Obsessive, Completist, Adventurer
01-31-2008 at 12:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Fizzii
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
icon Re: ATOTK mechanics of the ending(s) (0)  
The truth remains unsolved if you don't get it right. And you really don't need to guess... you need to eliminate the innocent parties (who often have alibis), by watching cutscene dialogue between characters. So try and write down a list of who was doing what on the night of the murder.

Also note that the assassin might lie to you, and might give you a clue as to why he or she did not like the king. You do need at least two items of evidence, and out of the three possible items you can find, one of them has a clue as to the motive as well (need to use the item). Also, people that went home (eg, Branwyn back to camp), can't have magically teleported back to the castle, so they aren't anywhere near the scene of the crime. However, other people might be in the castle that you don't know about until you question some other characters.
01-31-2008 at 10:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
retiredgamer
I finally picked the right culprit, and I guess I got the right motive because Queen Nimwe said I was correct, and I got the 8 honor points. But the game did not convince me. I still had to guess.
Going back I see that the culprit's story is different from another character, but this is found out only after a later chapter cut scene and inquiry, not from the beginning when you had no way to know about this person.
Also, if you listen to the culprit's story when you talk to him/her, the motive actually seemed as likely to be a different one from the one that I guessed as "correct".
I still do not see how the evidence has anything to do with the culprit. The pigeon's note is ambiguous and vague not to mention incomplete, and I can see no way to know who sent it, nor to whom. The hair is reportedly that of the princess (if I read some of the forums rightly) and anyway the color matches at least 3 people, and the piece of cloth has no identification as to its owner as far as I could tell (the tailor didn't even know whose it was). Finally, the dagger is Branwyn's. So how is that evidence? What and where am I missing something? Thanks for your reply. Obsessive, Completist, Adventurer
02-01-2008 at 02:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
Well, of course you can eventually get there by guessing.

But, you could also have taken a list of all characters in the game, and started crossing off those people who either have an alibi, lack a motive, or were otherwise incapable of killing Vortigern like that.

Click here to view the secret text

02-01-2008 at 03:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
wonkyth
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
Ahhh!
now it all makes sense...

But Nonsense Transforms it"
- Cedric Whitman
w.r.t. Aristophanes
02-01-2008 at 10:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
retiredgamer
Radiant wrote:
Well, of course you can eventually get there by guessing.

But, you could also have taken a list of all characters in the game, and started crossing off those people who either have an alibi, lack a motive, or were otherwise incapable of killing Vortigern like that.

Click here to view the secret text

02-02-2008 at 04:48 PM
retiredgamer
Despite (or because of) spending such a very very long time playing and replaying this game until I finally got it right and completely finished with a happy ending, I have to say that it has been a long time since I have had so much fun and felt so completely involved in a game. "Total immersion" is the truth.
I began my game obsession/fascination years ago with King's Quest 6, and since have gotten and played almost all of the good adventures from both before and after it, to include the Zorks, the Sierras, the Cryos, the Tex Murphys, and those from Legend and Dreamcatcher/Adventure Games. I appreciate the fact that ATOTK is such a well done game, and that it is FREE. I found out about it, belatedly, from the magazine: Games for Windows, February, 2008, page 53. I am aware that the version (V.2.72.920.0) which I downloaded, by this time had most of the bugs worked out, so "belatedly" was a good thing. Also, by now, the walkthrough had been written. Your game never crashed and followed sequences of non-linear confusion without a glitch (as long as I played sensibly, and sometimes read the walkthrough, and did lots of note-taking and mapping).
Are you making any more like this? I'd be happy to pay for it next time, if you are. Thank you, from a grateful fan. Obsessive, Completist, Adventurer
02-02-2008 at 05:39 PM
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1218
retiredgamer wrote:
Are you making any more like this? I'd be happy to pay for it next time, if you are. Thank you, from a grateful fan. Obsessive, Completist, Adventurer
I would check Radiant's homepage, and see what he's created so far. In particular, he's also made the Subterra collection under puzzle games, and Leylines under strategy.

I'm working my way through the others...
02-04-2008 at 11:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : ATOTK mechanics of the ending(s) (How do you know if you're right?)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com