Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Exiting rooms diagonally (If it's a bug, its very old!)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
JDAdams
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 33
IP: Logged
icon Exiting rooms diagonally (0)  
Hello hello. In the spirit of my first post, first completion of AE, first feature request etc. I now have my first (possible) bug.

I found this while experimenting with rooms 1N2W and 1N1W of KDD. My initial bug was going to be that the connection between the two rooms (NW of 1N1W and NE of 1N2W) is misaligned - it's three squares wide on either side but starts two squares from the top in 1N1W and yet three squares from the top in 1N2W. After all these years though I guess this won't be changed!

Anyway, when trying to exit across this connection, the behaviour is somewhat odd. Of course, the actual behaviour is the same when exiting any room, but this scenario illustrates why it seem improper. See the images and description which follow in the secret tags.

Click here to view the secret text

This behaviour is identical in TCB 3.1 to AE, so it's either intentional or no-one else cares! Still, I find it odd; now someone explain why the current behaviour in fact makes perfect sense! :P

[Last edited by JDAdams at 01-21-2008 05:48 PM]
01-21-2008 at 05:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
JDAdams
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 33
icon Re: Exiting rooms diagonally (0)  
Going back would require the inverse direction, i.e. if moving from 1 to 4 (NE) you'd require a move SW to return. To me this is more consistant than trying to move back SW and arriving W. Similarly for trying to move NE to a blocked space, it makes more sense to block it as Beethro doesn't usually slide as mimics do (adding sliding in this scenario would help though)
01-21-2008 at 06:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Exiting rooms diagonally (0)  
While I think there's good reasons to consider changing this behavior, all of them are trumped by the fact that it would break existing holds if this was changed. This is one of those things that just can't be changed.

01-21-2008 at 06:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Exiting rooms diagonally (If it's a bug, its very old!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com