Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : A Tale of Two Kingdoms (An epic faerie tale adventure game, Deluxe Edition now released.)
Page 1 of 10
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
IP: Logged
icon A Tale of Two Kingdoms (+3)  

A Tale of Two Kingdoms is a graphical adventure in the style of the classic Sierra games. Set in the world of Celtic mythology and fairy tales, it features many sidequests and alternate endings. This release is a Deluxe Edition with a new interactive prologue, several graphic updates, and professional voice acting.

The ancient kingdom of Theylinn is beset by enemies. Within the castle walls, nobles vie for the old king's favor, and not everybody is happy with the sole heir to the throne, princess Rhiannon. Meanwhile, danger approaches, in the form of an invading army, a hostile giant, and a mercenary troop who are ancient enemies of the Theylann king...

Download from Steam, or Humble Bundle, or from Itch.io. The game is DRM-free.

[Last edited by Radiant at 11-01-2017 10:02 PM]
07-18-2007 at 04:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1126
icon Re: A Tale of Two Kingdoms (0)  
So just how long should this take to solve?
I need to set aside some time for this.

07-18-2007 at 07:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Radiant
icon Re: A Tale of Two Kingdoms (+1)  
It is a full-length adventure game, like the Sierra or LucasArts classics. I don't know how much time it would take you to solve one of those, but expect something similar.

07-18-2007 at 08:20 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Dex Stewart
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 355
Radiant wrote:
75 minutes of high quality music; and director's commentary.

That already is enough of a reason for me to try it (: .

[Last edited by Dex Stewart at 07-18-2007 10:17 PM]
07-18-2007 at 10:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
parresia
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
Thank you for creating this classic-style adventure game. I'm really enjoying it. However, when I exit the game and restart it, I lose some of my saved games from the top of the list. I'm running it on XP tablet.

Any suggestions of ways I can help solve the problem?

Thanks for the game and your help!
07-19-2007 at 10:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Radiant
Yes. This should only occur the very first time you play the game, and only if you're running it from the installer. It is in fact a bug in the installer, and a new version will be along shortly.

Workaround? Don't select "start the game" from the installer, but run it from the start menu, or the regular folder. This means that from the second time you play it, it should work fine.

Sorry for the inconvenience!

07-19-2007 at 11:27 PM
parresia
Radiant,

I am running it from the Start Menu shortcut. And it has continued to delete games from the top each time I run it.

For example, before after I posted my response my top two "saves" were:
-sharp-
-coin-

I loaded -sharp-, walked outside and saved -test-.

I exited and restarted and it seemed alright. However, I exited again, saw your post, then started and the saved game -sharp- is gone, although -test- is still there.

Any advice?
07-20-2007 at 12:18 AM
parresia
Radiant,

Another quick issue. When I click the "hand" icon while viewing an NPC's inventory, an NPC dialogue screen pops up behind the inventory screen. When I click the mouse anywhere, the program crashes giving the following error:

An internal error has occurred...contact Christ Jones.
(ACI version 2.72.920)

Error: run_text_script1: error -6 running function 'unhandled_event':
Error: Array index out of bounds (index: -1, bounds 0..99)
in Global script (line 2620)

Thanks again for your work on the ToTK!

07-20-2007 at 12:32 AM
parresia
Perhaps this will be helpful for the save game delete issue.

After the crash, I reloaded and played for a bit. I saved my game and realized that it saved over the top saved game file. I checked this by clicking restore after I saved.

To double check, I hit f5, clicked the bottom saved game, retitled my save and clicked save. I hit f7 and found that the top saved game had been erased by the saved game I had just made.

It doesn't seem able to create new saved games without deleting the last saved game.

07-20-2007 at 01:08 AM
Radiant
Odd. Surprisingly, nobody else seems to have this problem.

Can you check something for me: in your game directory, the saved games are named something like "agssave.1", "agssave.2" and so forth. Are these sequential, or are there any "holes" in it (e.g. 1,2,3,5,6 with the 4 missing). If the latter, try renaming your highest-numbered saved game OTHER THAN #25 and #999 (which are the autosave) to fit the hole (in this case, rename #6 to #4). Hope that made sense.

07-20-2007 at 01:27 AM
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1126
In the beginning of the game, if you save while playing the game with the triangular board and restore from that save, you can't make any moves or end the game.

07-20-2007 at 01:59 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
parresia
Radiant,

I checked the saved game files. File agssave.001 was missing but everything else from .002 - .015 was there. I did not see a .025, but I did see .999.

I renamed .015 to .001. I didn't seem to change anything - when I saved a new game it still writes over the top save game.

I wonder if the game wasn't deleting a game when I closed it and restarted it at all, but rather that at a certain point I no longer have been able to create a new saved game without overwriting the previous save.

What could have changed on my computer or within the files to cause something like that?

Thanks

Edit: A Work Around

If I click on the saved game at the bottom of my list and DO NOT RENAME it then I can save over that saved game rather than over the most recent save at the top. Thus, I can continue to save over old games and keep my new ones. But if I RENAME a saved game from the bottom, it overwrites the save game one below the top one. Strange (hope this is making sense).

Not an ideal solution, but better.

[Last edited by parresia at 07-20-2007 03:14 AM]
07-20-2007 at 02:03 AM
heeter
Rank Points: 11
parresia wrote:
Radiant,

Another quick issue. When I click the "hand" icon while viewing an NPC's inventory, an NPC dialogue screen pops up behind the inventory screen. When I click the mouse anywhere, the program crashes giving the following error:

An internal error has occurred...contact Christ Jones.
(ACI version 2.72.920)

Error: run_text_script1: error -6 running function 'unhandled_event':
Error: Array index out of bounds (index: -1, bounds 0..99)
in Global script (line 2620)

Thanks again for your work on the ToTK!

Same exact thing is happening to me.... and I can't progress any further in the game! Please help!
07-20-2007 at 03:16 AM
Fizzii
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 22
The workaround is to not use the hand icon on the inventory items... select the item with the arrow instead, then you might be able to borrow some items by clicking it on Maeldun.

(Using the hand icon while in another character's inventory is effectively asking the character to use that item on themselves)
07-20-2007 at 03:26 AM
kestrel
Level: Disabled
Right after the princess suggests that we go apprehend the assassin, the game crashes and I get this code...

Error: run_text_script1: error -6 running function 'on_call':
Error: Script appears to be hung (150001 while loop iterations without an update) in Room 81 script (line 41)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
07-20-2007 at 04:32 AM
Fizzii
Unfortunately there isn't a work around for this bug (which somehow snuck its way in before release), unless you have a save game from a while back and tell the seelie that you don't know who the assassin is...

Version 1.1 should be available very soon (perhaps tomorrow if I don't find any more major bugs), so maybe I could send you a savegame at that point so you don't have to replay.
07-20-2007 at 04:45 AM
kestrel
Level: Disabled
It's been a blast to play, so I won't mind replaying. Thanks for the speedy reply! :)
07-20-2007 at 05:40 AM
Radiant
Wait - do you by any chance have twenty saved games? Because that's the limit, and by that point it will start overwriting things.

(note that because of the autosave and the lack of dead ends, you don't actually need that many saved games :) )

07-20-2007 at 08:53 AM
parresia
Radiant,

I have 14 save games plus the Autosave (.999). I did have 20 saves at one point, but it gave me a message about the 20 saves being the max amount and that I would need to erase some.

I wonder if after I hit the 20 saves, the program started automaticaly deleting the top save, even after I had reduced the number of saved games by deleting old ones.

Is that a possibility?

07-20-2007 at 01:03 PM
Radiant
Yes.

Also, the saves are supposed to start from zero, not one; renaming your save #14 to #0 may yet fix things?

07-20-2007 at 01:09 PM
cyberdalekyeti
Rank Points: 10
Hi i am new to this board and i had the same save game problem
but i did what Radiant said and renamed files starting with 0
and so far it worked.
Thanks Radiant
Just wondering do you have vista because i have vista and maybe this save game deleting only happens on vista?

John

07-20-2007 at 07:07 PM
jdyer
Rank Points: 327
Why is the number of saved games capped at 20 anyway? Is there some AGS obscurity involved?

I usually have many more save games than that, and with this game in particular exploring all the story paths also requires more than 20.

(EDIT: Save problem fixed, the message below covers suggestions just fine. Thanks Radiant! Now to try to finish all the optional stuff...)

[Last edited by jdyer at 07-20-2007 09:57 PM]
07-20-2007 at 08:31 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
parresia
Radiant,

Thanks for your help with this issue. The renumbering of my saves to 0-14 has seemed to fix the problem.

So, a possible explanation develops. I hit the 20 limit, I erased the first saved game to allow for another save (erasing the .000 file) and then subsequent saves overwrote the latest save due to the loss of the proper numbering.

I suppose three potential fixes are (I'm no expert):
1. eliminate the save game limit
2. have the program automatically rename the files when save games are deleted
3. Change the need to have a .000 save file to add new saves

John, thanks for the confirmation of the fix, I'm not running Vista.

Thank you again, Radiant and your team, for making a fun game. Now I'll get back to finding the way into Faerie land (I've got the flute back...)
07-20-2007 at 09:16 PM
Zazzaro
The problem Im having with the saved games is once i hit the limit, Whenever i save it overwrites my most recent save unless i delete one. Even after i deleted about 10 saved games and should of had 10 free spots, it still overwrites my latest saved game unless i delete one. Has this been addressed?

Edit Opps ill try what the poster above me has said.

*Edit #2* I changed a file to agssave.000 and i still have the overwriting of my most recent save problem.

*edit #3* Crap, i changed them from .003 to .3 for example and all my saved games are gone now. However i can now save again.

*edit #4* LOL, well i talked and edited my way thru the problem. Renaming them back to .000 method brought the few saved games back that i had left. I think my problem was i was missing a .000 file and a .001 file. Now that those files are in the directory i can save again without erasing my current game. I hope my struggles may help someone else out down the road.

[Last edited by Zazzaro at 07-21-2007 12:42 AM]
07-21-2007 at 12:30 AM
Fizzii
Version 1.1 is released. Most bugs and crashes have been fixed, and there should no longer be any showstoppers. Download link available in the first post.
07-21-2007 at 10:09 AM
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
So wait, is there a patch or do I have to download the whole 95mb again (which I probably won't be able to do)?
07-21-2007 at 11:41 AM
Fizzii
There isn't a patch, unfortunately. I suppose just the game file could be uploaded somewhere to replace the existing one (around 20 Mb, most of the game size is due to music and sound files which you already have) and your saved games would be unusable... would that be ok?

[Last edited by Fizzii at 07-21-2007 11:49 AM]
07-21-2007 at 11:48 AM
Beef Row
Rank Points: 471
Fizzii wrote:
Version 1.1 is released. Most bugs and crashes have been fixed, and there should no longer be any showstoppers. Download link available in the first post.

Bah, looks like I downloaded about half an hour before the patch. Oh well, downloading again...

07-21-2007 at 12:02 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Fizzii
icon Re: A Tale of Two Kingdoms (+2)  
Ok. This zipfile contains ONLY the .exe file, for those who already have downloaded the game:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=NEEUX950

Unzip it to your ATOTK folder so that it replaces the existing ATOTK.exe file (saved games from v1.0 will no longer work with this v1.1)

[Last edited by Fizzii at 07-21-2007 01:49 PM]
07-21-2007 at 01:49 PM
Sirus

Bug after telling Blossom about his counterpart. When I enter the shipwreck, this error crashes the game. This is the commentary version BTW.

~Sirus
PS-On my 3 playthrough, trying for 100/100/20/5. I got 81/72/12/2 on my last play through.
07-22-2007 at 11:52 PM
Page 1 of 10
2345>>
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Crystal Shard Games : A Tale of Two Kingdoms (An epic faerie tale adventure game, Deluxe Edition now released.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com