Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Mac to PC and back again?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
noma
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1594
IP: Logged
icon Mac to PC and back again? (0)  
Is it possible to move my progress in JtRH or TCB from a Mac to a PC? And, if that's possible, can I transfer it back again? I understand I'd have to buy the PC version of the game.

In case anyone's wondering: no, I'm not going over to the dark side. I've always been cross-platform, laptops and desktop units, and though I prefer Mac, I use a Thinkpad for work. Since I travel a lot, I'd like the option to play DROD during downtime. I can't play DROD on my iBook as I cannot get a high enough screen resolution, and even if I could, I already have to bring two PC laptops with me (main and backup); I don't want to take three.

Another trip's coming up tomorrow, so suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
04-17-2007 at 05:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
icon Re: Mac to PC and back again? (0)  
Caravel will let you use DROD on different computers for convenience, so I think they'll let you install TCB onto the computer as well. The best way to transfer data is to copy the datafiles directly (data.dat and player.dat), this way everything including holds imported and whatnot is the same. If you copy over drod-3_0.dat, you don't even need to download the full version again! (You'd only need to do this once, as drod-3_0.dat doesn't change).
04-17-2007 at 05:37 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
icon Re: Mac to PC and back again? (+1)  
noma wrote:
Is it possible to move my progress in JtRH or TCB from a Mac to a PC? And, if that's possible, can I transfer it back again? I understand I'd have to buy the PC version of the game.
I don't think you would. This page suggests that one purchase gets you the three versions.

As for transferring the data, you'll have to talk to someone more competent.
04-17-2007 at 05:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
noma
So here are the steps I understand so far, and please, anyone correct me:

1. Email Erik to get a link to download the PC version.

2. Copy all the files (or maybe just the .dat files?) in Users/username/Library/ApplicationSupport/Caravel/drod-3_0 folder.

3. Download and install TCB onto my Thinkpad.

4. Copy my files from Step 2 to .... where on the PC?
04-17-2007 at 05:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
KevG
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 333
Here's the link for downloading the PC version. It's at the bottom:
http://forum.caravelgames.com/downloads.php

If it's not there you'll need to contact Erik, Mike, or Schik with your purchase information and they can connect your purchase to your forum ID.
04-17-2007 at 05:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
krammer
Rank Points: 904
I wouldn't touch the .dats. The safest and intended method is:

Download the PC version. Open DROD up on the Mac, Change Player, Export. Save the player file somewhere.

Transfer the player file to PC. Install DROD and Import your player file. Then if you want to retain progress from other holds, import those, and import your player file again.

"Oook!"
04-17-2007 at 06:00 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
noma wrote:
So here are the steps I understand so far, and please, anyone correct me:

1. Email Erik to get a link to download the PC version.

2. Copy all the files (or maybe just the .dat files?) in Users/username/Library/ApplicationSupport/Caravel/drod-3_0 folder.

3. Download and install TCB onto my Thinkpad.

4. Copy my files from Step 2 to .... where on the PC?

As Kevin said, it should be on the downloads page. So, what you need to do is:

1. Install TCB on the Thinkpad.
2. Copy player.dat, data.dat, and drod.ini from ~/.caravel/drod-3_0/ to C:\Program Files\DROD - The City Beneath\Data on the Thinkpad
3. Whenever you change from one to the other, copy those back and forth.
04-17-2007 at 06:00 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
noma
Thank you all for your help. I'm going to begin... now. I'll let you know how it turns out.
04-17-2007 at 06:05 PM
noma
Complete success for both JtRH and TCB. Thanks again. I pretty much followed coppro's advice as it seemed the quickest. I will of course back up my original Mac .dat files before copying back again from the PC, just in case.
04-17-2007 at 07:34 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Mac to PC and back again?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com