Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : The Prison (Assorted 'puzzles')
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

4.5/10 (14 votes)
σ 2.16
Author Name:hikagi
Submitted By:hikagi
Hold Name:The Prison
Theme:Assorted 'puzzles'
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:2
Number of Rooms:50
Number of Monsters:786
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:1 (+2 / -1)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: The Prison.hold (52 KB)
Downloaded 1262 times.
License: Other
icon The Prison  
Not too hard, not too easy. I enjoyed playing through this looking for bugs, and hopefully you'll enjoy playing it as well.

Your goal is to lacate, secure, and extricate the prisoner.

~A fairly straight-forward mission...or is it?~

04-11-2007 at 01:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
bdwing
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 288
icon Re: The Prison (0)  
Is this hold completeable under the Drod 3 engine or does it need to be played under Drod 2?

Click here to view the secret text

"Until it ends, there is no end."
04-15-2007 at 01:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Stefan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2119
bdwing wrote:
Is this hold completeable under the Drod 3 engine or does it need to be played under Drod 2?
It is masterable in 3.0.
Click here to view the secret text
Unless you use a DROD version below 2.0.8, it should work in the same way.

04-15-2007 at 02:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Tahnan
Rank Points: 2459
icon Re: The Prison (+3)  
I've complained elsewhere about unpredictable scripting. I'd like to take a moment to comment here about "Escape: 2S3W".

I went into the room, looked around, saw the single mimic potion, the roaches that couldn't be reached from this side of the room, and the tar that couldn't be reached from this side of the arrows (or via an unreachable orb). "Clearly," I said to myself, "this room can't be cleared--I've only got one mimic, and I'd need one to take out the roaches, and then another to either place behind the arrows and take out the tar, or behind the black gate to set off the fuse to open the yellow gate so I can get to the tar myself. That must be why the room isn't required." And so I used the mimic to clear the tar so that I could progress, leaving behind some untouched roaches.

Only later, when looking for secrets, did I say, "Hm. You know, it is odd...I wonder, what happens when I do send the mimic through in the predictable way?" And I found that the room is clearable, because via scripting, the orb is hit and thus the yellow gate is opened once the mimic...steps over the arrow on the trapdoor, and...

Let me state that again. The door opens once the only trapdoor in the room is dropped. Via scripting. Which is to say, in a way that's 100% invisible from the player's point of view. As opposed to, let's say, for the sake of argument, replacing the orb-and-yellow-gate with a red gate, in which case the door opens once the only trapdoor in the room is dropped, in a way that's 100% clear from the player's point of view.

This, this, is the kind of scripting I can't stand. There was other unpredictable scripting in the hold, oh yes, but this was so egregious that (a) it single-handedly lowered my estimation of the entire hold by about a point, and (b) in spite of the fact that there are many fun and interesting rooms in this hold, this is the one I feel compelled to comment on in this thread. At length.

In short: never do that again. There's good scripting and bad scripting, folks. This is bad scripting. Stop it.
04-17-2007 at 09:45 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
silver
Rank Points: 915
maybe he made that room before red doors were implemented.

it's a joke, see. I know red doors always existed. and, yes, I think it's absolutely disgusting to use scripting to do what a common element does

[Last edited by silver at 04-17-2007 11:27 PM]
04-17-2007 at 11:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
jbluestein
Rank Points: 1670
I didn't much like this room either. It wasn't as bad as one of the other rooms in this hold, and the hold in general was reasonably good, but this room...well, didn't like it.

The hold? I give it a 6. With 5.5 brains.

I think Hikagi has a decent talent for puzzle design, and as soon as he can leave the scripting behind he'll do much better.

Josh

04-18-2007 at 05:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
hikagi
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 29
Tahnan wrote:

Let me state that again. The door opens once the only trapdoor in the room is dropped. Via scripting. Which is to say, in a way that's 100% invisible from the player's point of view. As opposed to, let's say, for the sake of argument, replacing the orb-and-yellow-gate with a red gate, in which case the door opens once the only trapdoor in the room is dropped, in a way that's 100% clear from the player's point of view.

Just let the record show that I was the first [non caravelnet team ]person to use pressure plates ;)

Also, I figured people would have remembered that element from the previous scripted room(ie the goblin section). I'll refrain from scripting in my 3.0 holds(save, of course, for speeches)

04-19-2007 at 08:15 PM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Scripted puzzles are doable but in general you have to be /extremely/ obvious about the manner in which they function.
04-19-2007 at 08:16 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Why does the hold describe it self as having "puzzles" with the apostrophe's?
04-19-2007 at 08:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
hikagi
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 29
hmm...good question. I think it was mainly because it was my first hold and I was unsure if most of the rooms qualified as puzzles (I tried to have each room have a little trick that needed to be figured out to advance, but I wasn't sure how hidden those things were to DROD vets such as yourself)

04-21-2007 at 02:31 AM
Stephen4Louise
Rank Points: 548
Could someone tell me which room I'm missing on Escape? I've been searching, but I can't find the last secret room.

Link

Edit : Never mind. Got it.

Steve.

[Last edited by Stephen4Louise at 04-27-2007 10:04 PM]
04-27-2007 at 09:59 PM
martz
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 414
icon Re: The Prison (+2)  
This is an...interesting hold.

There is unpredictable scripting (as previously mentioned) and I'm not going to repeat the comments above apart from to say that I agree with them.

There is a story although I wasn't entirely clear what was going on until the explanation at the end.

Some of the room designs seem quite chaotic with a lot of elements scattered around and I didn't ever feel there was a consistancy with the hold.

Having said all that, the actual puzzles themselves were decent enough and some of them were pretty tricky, it's just shame the hold is let down by the other issues (particularly the scripting).

My Verdict:

Difficulty: 6
Fun: 5

Progress - Gavin G
05-22-2014 at 02:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : The Prison (Assorted 'puzzles') Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com