Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Architect's Toolkit
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
IP: Logged
icon Architect's Toolkit (0)  
Part of the eventual re-orgnisation of the site is a section devoted to architects. Being a key feature of the new release, something about the life of an architect seemed natural. However, when actually coming up for things to put in there, it seemed like there might be a problem.

Of course, there's plenty of architects. So I'm thinking that maybe the Architects section can be written mostly by the architects, in a regular feature (probably bi-monthly or something). Instead of discussing particular rooms, I'd be more looking for techniques when constructing specific concepts. For example, how do you go about constructing a minutely timed room; what's the best method to construct a force arrow maze; how should you consider laying out a level; things like that. I'd say techniques would be more useful that standard solutions to difficult problems, as the most important thing in a hold is creative problems. However, some designs are beyond some architects - I for example would never be able to pull off a precisely timed room, whereas I reckon there would be plenty of people lost when talking about placing snakes to maximum effect. Some like building complicated switch rooms, others nasty trapdoors, and some are doing things with tar that are banned in several countries. Their tricks and methods would most likely be useful to us all.

Would you guys find this a useful thing, and would anyone be keen to write a column?

Matt

09-16-2003 at 04:03 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Architect's Toolkit (0)  
I think a good idea would be if some articles were written by popular demand. That is, someone plays a hold and says, "Wow! How on earth did you make that room?" And the architect replies, and others think it's really neat too, and finally you (Matt) approach the architect and ask him/her to write a full article on it for permanent inclusion on the site. We could start out by thinking of something we want to ask Erik about Dugan's. These would be "featured" articles.

There could also be "guest" articles written by anyone who cared to write them, and you could even have multiple ones on the same subject, since people will have different opinions.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-16-2003 at 05:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
Would such articles be spoily to players, as opposed to architects? At the least, a spoiler warning before the articles themselves. And maybe writers could be careful not to give away too much about how to solve such a unique room.
09-16-2003 at 06:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Well, the idea is a bit more bipartisan - basically everyone would be a "guest" author, as it were. The author's name would go into the title (something like Architect's Toolkit 3: Erik Hermansen on Level Structure) so it'd be fairly easy to tell who wrote what.

The way I envisaged it would be less along the lines of spoiler territory - telling people how a particular room is built isn't going to help them build anything other than a very similar room. I'm more thinking about general strategies, though patterns, etcetera.

For example, Erik mentioned in a topic about some standard, useful elements. For example, a snake can act as a timer (as it does in the Master Intellect room). There's one article. It's not specific, but it gives people a tool to use for their rooms, and you just know they're going to come up with clever ways to use them. Eventually.

Anyone game? You get to be first... :D

Matt

09-17-2003 at 04:49 PM
DiMono
Rank Points: 1181
When I've had a chance to download AE and make some rooms, I'd be more than happy to write an article. I'm a writer anyway, so I look forward to it.

Edit: NO LONGER A GOBLIN! YAY ME! :thumbsup:
(that's two levels in one day, man I'm good)

[Edited by DiMono on 09-17-2003 at 09:39 PM]

09-17-2003 at 09:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Architect's Toolkit
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com