Announcement: Please read the Rules Topic for some general rules and etiquette before using the Hints and Solutions system.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : 141N1E
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Poster Message
squeekie
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 140
IP: Logged
icon 141N1E (0)  

I have died so many times in this room that it's pathetic. I hate to make any moves now because I'm sick of starting over. This is one room in need of a save square. Any help?

09-10-2003 at 03:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: 141N1E (0)  
There's no way you can win from the situation shown above.

I'm giving two versions of the same hint, one which should put you on the right path and one which gives the explicit solution:

Hint:
Click here to view the secret text

Explicit Hint:

09-10-2003 at 04:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
squeekie
Thanks eytanz. I wasn't even thinking of that on the entrance. I was starting at the top of entrance and had queens everywhere. As soon as I took your hint I got the room in one try. I have been trying that room for 2 days.

09-10-2003 at 06:16 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
squeekie, if someone thinks that they should make a hint secret, then when referring to that hint you should also make it secret so that someone else doesn't accidentally spoil themselves of the answer. If you don't know how to make text secret there are several posts about this in The Site section.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-10-2003 at 06:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
icon Re: Re: 141N1E (0)  
Squeekie - could you please consider putting your screenshots in a more efficient file format? The uncompressed .bmp files you're linking to at the moment are 1MB apiece, which takes me around 3-5 minutes to download on dialup, for a single file. I'm not sure what art software you've got, there's plenty of freeware out there to do the job (e.g. Irfanview is a popular freeware image viewer/converter)

eytanz wrote:

Quibbling over details I know, but...

09-10-2003 at 08:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Re: Re: 141N1E (0)  
StuartK wrote:
eytanz wrote:

Quibbling over details I know, but...

[Edited by eytanz on 09-10-2003 at 01:00 PM]

09-10-2003 at 12:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721

File: KDD Fourteenth Level 1N1E Victory.demo (1.6 KB)
Downloaded 147 times.
License: Other
I have done it from the top of the entrance, and while it does take a while, it works. Normally I can do it without the little goblin alcove...but here it is. Possible.

09-10-2003 at 06:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
squeekie
I wasn't aware of the file size. I use hypersnap for screen capture and editing. I also have ACDC for image editing. I will crop all but what needs to be seen and convert to GIF files in the future. If the sitemasters prefer I will only describe the situation with no picture. I just thought that pictures take the place of allot of words and words can be mistaken.

09-10-2003 at 08:01 PM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Well, you can also use the "Insert DROD Room image" option on the right side of the Post a Message screen, above the Smilies, but that only shows the state of the room when you start. And you can have that picture be a link in the message so that people on dial-up don't have to wait for it to load. Actually, if you have web space, that is an option...put it on the web and link to it. Or, attach it to the post, although that's not good for large file sizes either. I think it is probably best if you just look into using a smaller image resolution to cut the file size down.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
09-10-2003 at 08:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
StuartK
Rank Points: 564

File: KDD Fourteenth Level 1N1E Victory350.demo (1.2 KB)
Downloaded 144 times.
icon Re: Re: 141N1E (0)  
squeekie wrote:
I wasn't aware of the file size. I use hypersnap for screen capture and editing. I also have ACDC for image editing. I will crop all but what needs to be seen and convert to GIF files in the future. If the sitemasters prefer I will only describe the situation with no picture. I just thought that pictures take the place of allot of words and words can be mistaken.

Oh I quite agree (it's something of a shame I can't play from the point demonstrated in the screenshot onwards though ;) ) The file doesn't really need to be cropped if you use the appropriate format. A screenshot should be around 80kB if you use an optimised .gif, or 40kB for a .png file (or larger if they're not optimised) If you've ever used the built in screenshot feature of this forum (Insert DROD Room image) those files are in .png format.

eytanz wrote:
Of course, I may be wrong - but I believe that I'm right until proven wrong.

Attached is a demo completing the room in 350 moves, entering at the top. This can probably be improved by 5-10 I think, if anyone wants to try that for a challenge.

zex20913 wrote:
I have done it from the top of the entrance, and while it does take a while, it works. Normally I can do it without the little goblin alcove...but here it is. Possible.

Not with the pre-build 38 demo you attached though ;) Beethro lasted for quite a while, fought valiantly, but the end was inevitable, and ignoble :~)
09-10-2003 at 09:01 PM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
Oh yeah...queens changed...oops. I used Build 34.

09-10-2003 at 09:35 PM
Scott
Rank Points: 578

File: KDD Fourteenth Level 1N1E Victory 3 Top.demo (1.5 KB)
Downloaded 131 times.
I thought I would try this with the queens split a bit differently. I entered in the middle and sent 3 queens to the exit passage. I have attached my demo.
09-11-2003 at 01:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Get Help for a Room Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Hints and Solutions : 141N1E
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No