Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : www.nikoli.com has officially launched!
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Kevin_P86
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 535
IP: Logged
icon www.nikoli.com has officially launched! (+2)  
I don't know about the rest of you, but I am a huge fan of Nikoli's logic puzzles. I have just about every book they have available from their website, and have been working through them at a fairly good pace, I think.

Well anyways, I thought everyone might like to know that nikoli.com has officially launched as of almost exactly 12 hours ago. It is a site that uses Flash to play Nikoli's puzzles online. So far, they've included Sudoku, Kakuro, Slither Link, Nurikabe, Hitori, Heyawake and Akari (Light Up), and release 3 or more puzzles everyday selected from these puzzle types. After you complete a puzzle, it saves your solving history so you can play it back in real time (or sped-up time, if you prefer). I realize watching yourself solve the puzzle again might not be the most exciting thing, but you can also watch the solution of the others who have solved the puzzle. It also keeps track of how long you took and how many "steps" (moves) you have made, and you can compare these with others.

There are a few puzzles available to guests (10 of each type on the Everybody's Page, and a few others of various types in the Members Page) so you can try it out if you're not sure (although you have to join to take advantage of the solving history, etc). It costs only ¥550 per month to join (currently about $4.73 US) and you can join via PayPal, or any major type of credit card (including JCB Card, Nicos Card, VISA Card, Master Card, American Express Card, and Diners Club Card).

Just a shameless plug for a great site created by a great company. :D

12-10-2006 at 03:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
icon Re: www.nikoli.com has officially launched! (0)  
Horray! I've been waiting for this as well!

12-10-2006 at 04:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1917
Electronic games forum might be more appropriate for this thread.
12-10-2006 at 02:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
I considered that.

12-10-2006 at 06:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
masonjason
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 349
Hmm I was a member of the predecessor www.puzzle.jp) for a while, but Nikoli's books are much more varied and better value for money than a site like this.

12-19-2006 at 01:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
Well if you consider their Pencil Puzzle series books, going for ¥651 each, and containing an average of approximately 95 puzzles, that's about ¥6.85 each.

The membership to the site is ¥550 for one month, and during that month they will publish at least 90 puzzles (except in February, I suppose). That's about ¥6.11 each.

Also, the Pencil Puzzle books contain all the same type of puzzle, while the membership includes 7 different types (I guess either could be good).

But anyways, the price per puzzle is fairly comparitive between the books and the site, and the site also has the other benefits I mentioned in the first post.

12-19-2006 at 05:22 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : www.nikoli.com has officially launched!
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com