Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Change warning for architects.
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
IP: Logged
icon Change warning for architects. (0)  
Alright guys, please don't give me and Mike a lot of grief over this one.

To make DROD more grokkable, we want timed events lining up on the same turn. People are already familiar with the 30-turn cycle. A new 5-turn mini-cycle is being added so that we have a smaller delay to design elements around. Hmm. I'm going to copy-and-paste something. Be right back...

...here it is--a sneak preview of a new feature in the release after this one:
*** THREAT CLOCK ****

The threat clock is shown in the scroll area if the room contains any timed threats. When a scroll is shown it covers the threat clock. It has a hand that makes a full rotation every 30 turns. The "Midnight" position is synched with tar spawning. The last five ticks have a sound effect associated with them that indicates a pending threat--an orchestra hit of rising pitch and volume possibly. The clock should be small, and we can keep 30 frames to display to avoid rotation math.

The threat clock is also marked on every fifth turn with a larger notch (six on the clock). Timed threats will be designed when possible to fall on the 30th or 5th turns.
Okay, so that's the threat clock. We want to make two small changes now that will make our existing elements threat-clock-compliant. These changes will appear in build 37 and get released with DROD:AE:

1. Tar will spawn on the 30th turn instead of the 29th. So tar and roach queens will spawn on the same turn now.
2. A roach egg will be laid on the 30th turn (like now) and will fully mature into a roach on the 35th turn (synching with 5 turn mini-cycle) instead of the 34th.

So that's it. Some of your rooms might need a little adjustment after the next build. I just wanted to warn you.

-Erik

08-13-2003 at 11:01 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Change warning for architects. (0)  
Um, so roaches emerging a turn later doesn't break/make easier any Dugan's rooms?

Otherwise, I have no problems with this, as long as the countdown sound can be turned off on the options page.

Game on,

[Edited by Oneiromancer on 08-14-2003 at 01:40 AM]

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
08-14-2003 at 01:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Re: Change warning for architects. (0)  
Oneiromancer wrote:
Um, so roaches emerging a turn later doesn't break/make easier any Dugan's rooms?
I don't think anything is broken by it. We'll inventory all the rooms to check for cases where the solution no longer works, but I don't expect to find any.

Many rooms in DD will be slightly easier. It will give the old-timers something to hold over new DROD players. ("Back in my day..." ) Some people have recently authored rooms that depend on precise spawning times. Hence, the warning.

-Erik

08-14-2003 at 02:01 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Change warning for architects.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com