Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Wonderquest : Forest of Doom (a new quest up for playtesting)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Doom
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 3226
IP: Logged

File: Forest of Doom.Quest (335 KB)
Downloaded 50 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Forest of Doom (+5)  
Latest update (28.12.2014 - Version 4)
Changes:
- Flooded Building (NE): Fixed a backtracking issue and a trivial solution
- 1N3E: Fixed a massive backtracking issue.

Here's something for those who finished everything in the latest version of WQ already: The official first fanmade Wonderquest level! This quest contains some fairly standard puzzles over 25 rooms (couldn't bother with thinking about a story. I have to admit that I didn't pay that much attention to it in the original levels). There's no strict theme, other than leaving room for future ideas: A good number of the objects aren't featured here: Mostly those that appear late in the 15 levels of Master Orion.

Because it always happens that you miss something important when making levels, everyone has now the chance to contribute to getting rid of the possible bugs that are still lurking inside.

Hint requests should be posted in this topic to keep the board cleaner.
That's it. Enjoy!

[Last edited by Doom at 12-28-2014 08:12 PM]
08-25-2006 at 03:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
icon Re: Forest of Doom (0)  
Well, it looks quite clean and polished, but I only finished one room so I don't have much to say. The room with the archer and the queens on orange plates looks evil!
08-25-2006 at 05:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
This makes me think one thing: I can't wait to get the editor!!!

X_O

Currently playing:
Click here to view the secret text

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

08-25-2006 at 06:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
Ezlo wrote:
Well, it looks quite clean and polished, but I only finished one room so I don't have much to say. The room with the archer and the queens on orange plates looks evil!
That one wasn't so bad - it's the only one I've beaten, actually. The problem I have is that if I beat that room without first beating the one to the North of it, I seem to be stuck...?

08-25-2006 at 09:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Kevin_P86 wrote:
Ezlo wrote:
That one wasn't so bad - it's the only one I've beaten, actually. The problem I have is that if I beat that room without first beating the one to the North of it, I seem to be stuck...?
You're "stuck" so that after clearing the first archer room, you can't go anywhere else until after clearing the second one. It is, however, cleared with the archer from south, so you can't get stuck for good at that point.

However, I just discovered that if you clear SW and NW parts of the house and then come back to the first archer room, you'll actually get stuck. I'm adding a few white doors to fix this.
08-26-2006 at 05:25 PM
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
Doom wrote:
Kevin_P86 wrote:
Ezlo wrote:
You're "stuck" so that after clearing the first archer room, you can't go anywhere else until after clearing the second one. It is, however, cleared with the archer from south, so you can't get stuck for good at that point.

I can't see how to beat the 2nd archer room when entering it from the path you enter after completing the first one...! You can kill the 5 queens easily enough, but the roach...?

08-26-2006 at 07:10 PM
Doom
Kevin_P86 wrote:
I can't see how to beat the 2nd archer room when entering it from the path you enter after completing the first one...! You can kill the 5 queens easily enough, but the roach...?

08-26-2006 at 08:49 PM
googa
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 282
Good job Doom. Iīve cleared 14 rooms so far, and itīs being pretty fun. One thing I can tell you in advance: There is a problem when it comes to indexing doors. If you give different doors the same number, the mouse over help wonīt work. Try this in that room in the upper left part of the map (eyes x orange PPīs) youīll see that the mouse over wonīt work with the lower door.

Iīm stuck in that room with the Archer x Tower x bomb x mad fluffy. No hints for now please, Iīll try to finish it all without asking for help.

That room with the priestīs special (invert barrel) is killing me. :)

[Last edited by googa at 09-01-2006 07:20 AM]
08-28-2006 at 10:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Doom
googa wrote:
If you give diferent doors the same number, the mouse over help wonīt work. Try this in that room in the upper left part of the map (eyes x orange PPīs) youīll see that the mouse over wonīt work with the lower door.
I noticed this. However, I didn't think about using multiple IDs when you could get away with one. Too much DROD editing, I guess. I'll improve this for a later version.
08-29-2006 at 09:58 AM
googa
icon Re: Forest of Doom (+1)  
A trivial solution:

09-01-2006 at 08:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
googa
OK, I'm done, 8 hours of game-play.

First of all, congratulations man. It was pretty fun.

Some observations:

On 1n 3e you can have 2 "Jaxes" exiting north. This is not a bug, but you can change it if you wish.

About the box x Priest room (2E):

Elementals room in the top right was cruel (2n 4e), pretty cool.

I loved Laser Barricades 1 and 2, and ..

If you want an ending text, create a file called ending.txt in your quest's folder, write the text, and recompile it.

About 2s 4e:

You can't have more than one hero changer icon over a splitter, because when you step over an empty splitter, the engine searches for the first inactive hero over another splitter with the same color, starting from top left to bottom right. If you have two characters, then only the first one will be selected. This is not a bug, and indeed, this was one of the best rooms in this quest. But you can do it with more splitters with different colors, following the same idea:
The right guy, for the right job...

PS: Use X and Z to change the splitter's color.

That's it Doom. Thanks.

[Last edited by googa at 09-17-2006 12:22 AM]
09-05-2006 at 11:51 PM
Doom
googa wrote:
OK, I'm done, 8 hours of game-play.
That's cool. Well done! As for the comments:

On 1n 3e you can have 2 "Jaxes" exiting north. This is not a bug, but you can change it if you wish.
Fixed. (Replaced the sword icon with mud)
About the box x Priest room (2E):

Not at all. That's exactly how I designed the room. ;)
If you want an ending text, create a file called ending.txt in your quest's folder, write the text, and recompile it.
Supposedly another undocumented feature. I filled everything I could find earlier, and will probably do something for this as well.
About 2s 4e:

You can't have more than one hero changer icon over a splitter, because when you step over an empty splitter, the engine searches for the first inactive hero over another splitter with the same color, starting from top left to bottom right. If you have two characters, then only the first one will be selected. This is not a bug, and indeed, this was one of the best rooms in this quest. But you can do it with more splitters with different colors, following the same idea:
Yeah, that's a good idea, because it'll make it more clear to see how the room works. However, I'm not sure how to do this yet. The main problem is that I need 4 colors in order to do the bottom row, but there's only room for 3 hero changers at the top. Or well, technically not, but removing one from the bottom would make the order more obvious. I'll see if I can do anything about it. (At least it works in the current version. It's just not quite as obvious how the changers work.)
09-06-2006 at 03:46 PM
Doom
I've attached an update in the first post. This should fix anything that's been wrong so far. I didn't touch 2S4E, because I couldn't think of a comfortable solution to the problem. There is, however, an extra scroll in that room notifying the player about how the blue panels work.
09-08-2006 at 05:24 PM
bobboy36
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
How do you make quests?

-------------------------
Hold Progress-Journey to Rooted Hold Demo 100%
11-08-2006 at 07:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jeff_Ray...
Rank Points: 962
PM googa.

Currently playing:

My Holds:
-Completed:

-Work in Progress:

11-08-2006 at 12:11 PM
bobboy36
Rank Points: 10

-------------------------
Hold Progress-Journey to Rooted Hold Demo 100%
11-08-2006 at 04:34 PM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1132
I can't access the quest, because as I mentioned in another post, whenever I click on "Quest" in the Wonderquest main menu, the game freezes up. Anyone know what that might be about?

Thanks in advance.

-Noah

My stuff:

12-02-2006 at 06:37 AM
googa
NoahT wrote:
I can't access the quest, because as I mentioned in another post, whenever I click on "Quest" in the Wonderquest main menu, the game freezes up. Anyone know what that might be about?
-Noah

Sorry, I thought the problem was solved.
I re-downloaded and installed WQ and re-downloaded Forest of Doom, and everything worked OK.
You can try it now.
Any problem, just post again.
12-02-2006 at 04:31 PM
NoahT
Rank Points: 1132
Could you direct me to the most up-to-date version? Also, re-downloading won't erase my Master Orion progress, will it?

-Noah

My stuff:

[Last edited by NoahT at 12-02-2006 10:40 PM]
12-02-2006 at 10:02 PM
googa
icon Re: Forest of Doom (+2)  
Could you direct me to the most up-to-date version?

The latest version is the one available for download at www.wonderquest.co.nr. The installer also contains the latest Master Orion quest version (15).

Also, re-downloading won't erase my Master Orion progress, will it?
No. Your progress is saved in the folder that has the same name as yours, located in the Players folder. You can back it up for security if you wish.

Step by step:

1)-Uninstall the game.
2)-Go to the old game location and delete the "Quests" folder.
3)-Download the game.
4)-Install it over the same old directory.
5)-Download "Forest of Doom.quest" and copy it into the "Quests" folder.
6)-Play it.

This should work.
Let me know if this helps.

[Last edited by googa at 12-03-2006 07:23 PM]
12-03-2006 at 07:22 PM
Jemsye
Rank Points: 12
Level 1 1East, Help I'm stuck! I've done all the rooms in this level but can't seem to get this one - I'm tired of it already - would someone please help me get outta here? Complete spoilers welcome :~(
04-12-2007 at 11:12 PM
Doom
Sorry for the extremely late reply. I've had trouble getting Wonderquest working for a long time, ever since I had to reinstall Windows after changing some broken hardware. Either I did something I didn't do before or something fixed itself - In any case, the game is working again for me now.

The main idea in 1E is to use the specials to push the elemental higher. If you do everything the obvious way, you should be missing a good number of tiles from the last orb.

To get there,

04-18-2007 at 09:08 PM
Jemsye
Rank Points: 12
ThankYou!! tho now that ya told me the secret - I can't believe I didn't even think of going diagonal - sheeeeesh! :blush
04-19-2007 at 07:05 PM
Neathro
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 41
I click Fight after selecting Forest of doom in quest list and all freezes... :no :(

04-29-2007 at 08:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
googa
I re-downloaded it and got no problem. Re-download it.

You can also create a new player to test it.
05-01-2007 at 11:29 PM
Neathro
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 41
I'll try it

05-02-2007 at 03:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Is this uncompatible with the dreams engine?
07-01-2008 at 02:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Just tried: It works just fine when you place the quest in the correct folder and select it in main menu.

If you were talking about backwards compatibility, some new specials have been added after the time this quest was created, but those shouldn't affect anything because there are no resources in the rooms for them.
07-01-2008 at 07:39 PM
Doom
icon Re: Forest of Doom (+2)  
Since people have been (re)playing WQ a fair bit recently I got some motivation to fix the backtracking issues in this quest.

Thanks to googa I was able to get access to an editable version. Hopefully I didn't break anything else in the process. Things *seem* good at least, but if any new issues appear, feel free to report them here. Download and changes are listed in the first post.
12-28-2014 at 08:22 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Wonderquest : Forest of Doom (a new quest up for playtesting)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com