Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Roach behaviour?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
VodkaAndCoke
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 26
IP: Logged
icon Roach behaviour? (0)  
Has anyone else noticed that since installing patch .14 and playing two new holds recently released (King Pilchard's dundgeon and Conquest of paradise)the roaches seem to be moving differently?. For example, COP Deep into the earth - rooms 1E and 1W, the roaches seem almost semi-brained. Things just don't seem quite right, have the roaches developed brains of their own? :)
05-06-2006 at 03:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1302
icon Re: Roach behaviour? (0)  
i don't know about Conquest of paradise, but for king pilchards dungeon, from what i have played the roaches behave as they should.

could you get a demo?
05-06-2006 at 06:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218

File: CoP Deep into the Earth 1W - Odd roach behaviour.demo (1.4 KB)
Downloaded 42 times.
License: Public Domain
Hmm... it's difficult to get an actual demo as it doesn't seem to be anything specific. The roaches, in groups, just *feel* different somehow.

I must say I hadn't noticed anything strange with King Pilchard XII's, but CoP seems unintuitive for some reason when dealing with roaches.

I've attached a demo of 1W, and in particualar the frames 19-16 after re-entering the entrance room. The "square" formation doesn't look right. Would have almost assumed they would prefer to form a vertical line, or a triangle.

Maybe it's just mind tricks but when I first played this room, (and 1E, and to some extent 4N) *after* starting to slay the roaches, I automatically began looking for a brain and was slightly surprised that there wasn't one. That is not to say that they act as though brained, but they just don't seem to form the same patterns as the usual kind.

Same thing happened independently to VodkaAndCoke.

Eerie...
05-06-2006 at 09:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
Could this be related to the demos that don't work anymore mentioned here? (I have no idea what those rooms look like, but it seems that something has changed). I don't see any difference between your demo under 2.0.13 and 2.0.14 though.
05-06-2006 at 10:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
maybe look up the room image, and see if there is the telltale sign of scripting.
05-06-2006 at 02:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
michthro wrote:
Could this be related to the demos that don't work anymore mentioned here? (I have no idea what those rooms look like, but it seems that something has changed). I don't see any difference between your demo under 2.0.13 and 2.0.14 though.
I checked it again - in War10, Rabscuttle's #1 demo for 8S from the 2nd of April gets him killed after 14 moves instead of doing the room in 96 moves, and there isn't a single brain in the room, only some rotating poppies...

The same happens with LarryMurk's #1 demo for 11S. But IIRC there was something changed concerning scripted character turns in 2.0.13, so that could well be it. Still, that wouldn't change roach behaviour - in this case it's just some roaches not being killed by scripted characters as before.

np: Phantom/Ghost - Clouds Hill (Three)

05-06-2006 at 04:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : General : Roach behaviour?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com