Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : People's Selection Hold Awards (My idea to kill mod/rank points...)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
IP: Logged
icon People's Selection Hold Awards (+4)  
Admittadly, I've been a bit of a miser with the rank points lately. During that time, I've been thinking of ways to kill them off in a creative way that will benefit the whold DROD community. I have thus thought up the People's Selection Hold Awards to rid me of these points. The awards will happen in two parts:

First comes the selection of holds for each of the 5 catagories. To nominate a hold into the catagories, either email me or PM me. The top 5 in each catagory will go on to the voting, which is stage 2.

Stage two will consist of an open poll with the simple question of "Which of these holds deserves the title 'Best x'?". The poll will be up for about a week and a half. The winner of each catagory will receive 5 rank points from me, and the recognition and glory.:)

Before I go on, I want to point out that just because your hold doesn't make it in the catagories doesn't mean that nobody enjoyed your hold. If you make even a single person happy from playing your hold, you have suceeded and make a sucessful hold. I know that my first hold, "Beethro's First Job", probably won't get any awards, but I know that people enjoyed it, therefore I don't care. This is more of a fun contest than an equivalent to the "Emmy"s or anything.

I will accept nominations through PM or email until October 16, when a poll will be posted in the Architecture forum. The poll will last for two weeks, meaning that the contest will end on October 16. Now here are the 5 catagories:

1. Most Fun to Play.
2. Most Challenging to Play
3. Best Concept
4. Best Artistry/Room Art
5. Most Promising Hold
6. Hold of the Year

To clarify on these a bit: Catagories 1,2&6 apply only to completed holds in the Holds section, catagories 3&4 apply to both Works in Progress AND Completed holds, and catagory 5 will apply only to holds that are works in progress.

If you have any questions or comments, post them here, and good luck to all!

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 at Local Time:09-22-2004 at 03:05 AM]

[Edited by gamer_extreme_101 at Local Time:09-23-2004 at 01:38 AM]

09-22-2004 at 03:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 352
icon Re: People's Selection Hold Awards (+1)  
I wasted my two remaining mod points on this because it is such a good idea! I assume that the ones like smallsome swicks that Erik made will not count, and the contest ones will not either?

Wasn't there a discussion on the board some time ago about a system such as this where it was suggested that the hold was actually posted under the person's name so that they could be ranked up and not 'admin'? I think that would be a good idea too...o thick maestro...
09-22-2004 at 11:06 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
icon Re: People's Selection Hold Awards (0)  
Do you accept hold of the year entries till December 31st? Because that's really end of the year...

I'm not sure if I can finish Simon's Dungeon in time. :(
But it's going to be finished this year.
09-22-2004 at 02:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
masonjason
Rank Points: 349
Can we nominate our own holds?

09-22-2004 at 04:57 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5381
wackhead_uk wrote:
I think that would be a good idea too...o thick maestro...
I knew I shouldn't have said anything. :|

09-22-2004 at 05:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
Schik wrote:
wackhead_uk wrote:
I think that would be a good idea too...o thick maestro...
I knew I shouldn't have said anything. :|

:D

You can call me columbian hotel if you want...
09-22-2004 at 06:08 PM
gamer_extreme_101
wackhead_uk wrote:
I wasted my two remaining mod points on this because it is such a good idea! I assume that the ones like smallsome swicks that Erik made will not count, and the contest ones will not either?
I don't want to exclude the admin's holds...so we'll let the admin choose to give the points away to a well-deserving forum member OR the runner-up in the catagory. Contest hold are, however out of the running UNLESS they have been submitted to the Holds forum, such as RoboBob300's FSSG. The I Ching Collaboration hold WILL NOT COUNT, HOWEVER.
Doom wrote:
Do you accept hold of the year entries till December 31st? Because that's really end of the Can we nominate our own holds?
year...
I don't want to extend it that long, but you do have a point. Firstly, I am extending the date for selection to October 19, which happens to coincide with the original date of DROD:Architect's Edition. I am also instituting a new catagory for Most Promising Hold to be awarded to any hold that is in mid-completion. No holds from the Holds section will be up for this nomination.
masonjason wrote:
For the sake of fair play, I will go with no. I'd also like to point out here that you may only nominate one hold per catagory per person. Choose your best, people!

09-23-2004 at 01:33 AM
Doom
How do you choose the top 5 that goes to voting?
Is there another voting first?

gamerextreme_101 wrote
masonjason wrote
For the sake of fair play, I will go with no. I'd also like to point out here that you may only nominate one hold per catagory per person. Choose your best, people!

I'm getting confused... Gamerextreme's first sentence says that you can not nominate your own holds but the second part tells you to choose your best hold.

Another thing, that isn't clear to me yet. (I have to be sure)
Can I have holds in many catagories? (1 in a catagory)
09-23-2004 at 05:26 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
wackhead_uk
I assume he meant you favourite hold and not your best...
09-23-2004 at 06:15 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
Doom,

Patrick means that you should select the best ones, but you are not allowed to nominate any of your own holds.

So the only one that would probably have a problem here is Wesley ;)

-- Tim

[ I have a question though, can I nominate more than one hold for each of the categories? ]

[ Another question: Can I nominate JtRH for category 5? ]

[ Third one: What ends on October 16th? The nominations, or the polls? ]

[Edited by Tim at Local Time:09-23-2004 at 11:24 PM]

09-23-2004 at 10:15 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
To answer all questions without using quotes....

I did mean to pick your favourite holds in general, not your own ones. Yes, you can nominate a hold in more than one catagory. To select the top 5, I will choose the 5 holds with the most nominations via email or PM. Nominate only One Hold per Catagory. JtRH will NOT be included in catagory 5, as no one has had the ability to play the preview.

There. :)

09-24-2004 at 12:41 AM
gamer_extreme_101
You have negative 1014 weeks, 5 days (Until October 16th) left to nominate holds for these prestegious awards!! I have had a couple of entries already, and am excited to receive some more.

To clarify a bit for Catagory 5(Most Promising), I want you to nominate holds that you find most promising at the time of your submission. If that hold makes it to the Holds section, then we will deal with that accordingly. My first instinct is to keep it in the same catagory, though.

09-29-2004 at 02:47 AM
gamer_extreme_101
...3 days left people! Get those votes in as quick as you can!

10-13-2004 at 12:38 AM
Doom
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
You have negative 1014 weeks, 5 days (Until October 16th) left to nominate holds for these prestegious awards!! I have had a couple of entries already, and am excited to receive some more.
Aren't you a little late? That's 10 days ago. I've not seen any poll. Or didn't you get enough nominations?
10-26-2004 at 04:08 PM
gamer_extreme_101
No...I'm just a very forgetfull person. I'll post it either later tonight or tomorrow. I promise. Seriously folks. And vote if you want as well. Can't have too many votes.

10-28-2004 at 01:29 AM
gamer_extreme_101
Urgh. I'm sadly pressed for time, so I'll have to post this baby tommorow. Sorry 'bout this, guys.

10-29-2004 at 02:04 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : People's Selection Hold Awards (My idea to kill mod/rank points...)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com