Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Eets: Hunger. It's emotional (a new puzzle game!)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
BigFoot
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 12
IP: Logged
icon Eets: Hunger. It's emotional (+2)  
Hi there,

Erik from IndieGamer suggested we indies post here if we have a game that may interest DROD players, so here I go! I apologize in advance if you find this spammy :?

We just launched a new puzzle game that I figured DROD players might like. So here's my shameless plug: go try out Eets if you have a spare moment!

www.eetsgame.com

Looking forward to hearing feedback.

Thanks!
BigFoot.
03-27-2006 at 06:25 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1214
icon Re: Eets: Hunger. It's emotional (0)  
Surprisingly fun game! Manipulating the emotions of a puppy so it can collect puzzle pieces is one of the more original ideas I've seen! I got stuck quickly, right after they introduced the chocolate-chip-cannons.

I found some odd stuff though, there is one level, I'll find the name later, that if you shot enough chcoclate at the dog, he would start acting glitchy. At one point, the dog was lying down ontop of a pile of chips, trying to eat the air, while his legs were twitching.

Two more chip glitchs involved shooting a chip at a dog on the edge of a cliff. The first result is that the dog will fall straight down, the second result is that it will eat the chip, then start trying to eat the air in front of it forever. Quite amusing actually. :D

[Last edited by Ezlo at 03-27-2006 11:09 PM]
03-27-2006 at 11:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
stigant
Rank Points: 1182
At one point, the dog was lying down ontop of a pile of chips, trying to eat the air, while his legs were twitching.

Most dogs are allergic to chocolate... perhaps you fed him enough to trigger his allergic reaction.

03-27-2006 at 11:14 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Maybe! I didn't think of that! :D
03-27-2006 at 11:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
BigFoot
Weirdness! I hope you persevered and enjoyed the game! There's so much more to see :D
03-27-2006 at 11:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Radiant
Level: Moderator
Rank Points: 142
Crashes at startup on my system. Oh well.

03-28-2006 at 12:50 AM
BigFoot
Bummer. :(

Thanks for trying it out, though! :P
03-28-2006 at 01:47 AM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
Hmm... cute and funny. I am tempted to buy it :) Are there many usermade levels, and are they any good? How many levels are there in the game you buy? Also I would advise to let the trial time be longer than one houer. Let the player get really addicted ;)
03-28-2006 at 01:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Urg, I was just learning how to hit Eets with radioactive geinseg when my trial ran out. Oh well.
03-28-2006 at 01:49 PM
BigFoot
Hi there! There are in total 105 official levels to play built into the game. Also there are trophies to gain by beating the levels without using all the available items.

We've found it takes between 7-10 hours to beat every level.

In terms of user-made levels, the game has just launched so the selection is not huge, but we provide official levels every week and there's a full blown community site that we're pimpin' :P

http://community.eetsgame.com

Thanks a ton for trying it out!
03-28-2006 at 06:42 PM
r3m0t
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 16
BigFoot wrote:
Hi there! There are in total 105 official levels to play built into the game. Also there are trophies to gain by beating the levels without using all the available items.

We've found it takes between 7-10 hours to beat every level.

In terms of user-made levels, the game has just launched so the selection is not huge, but we provide official levels every week and there's a full blown community site that we're pimpin' :P

http://community.eetsgame.com

Thanks a ton for trying it out!

That is, the entire official set of levels takes about 10 hours to complete. Wouldn't want to mislead anybody, because in DROD, each of the 25 levels can take 90+ minutes of playing time to complete. Sorry, Eets just isn't value for money, and I wasn't able to play it for long enough to get a solid feel. Plus I met one bug twice.
04-02-2006 at 08:10 PM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
icon Re: Eets: Hunger. It's emotional (+1)  
I like it. 20$ isnīt that much money. Itīs a good game to have as a deversion. Itīs cute and donīt require too much thinking. Also you can spend much more time on it in order to optimize all the levels ;) It isnīt as good value for money as DROD, but the user made levels seems to be dropping in quite fast and I found it worth my money.

(ps. No game is as good value for money as DROD :D)
04-02-2006 at 09:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Just want to mention that you can download Eets off of Steam now. I wonder if that's a path Caravel might take.
12-29-2006 at 09:01 PM
Tombot
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 58
Tried Eets, just feels like a lobotomised 'Incredible machines' title.

12-29-2006 at 09:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
It's actually quite a good title though I haven't finished it entirely. I'd compare it more to Prof Fizwizzle than TIM...
12-29-2006 at 10:56 PM
bigorilla
Rank Points: 13
Geez I really wanna try it but I only have a PowerPC Mac at home.
I guess linux users on intel machines can run windows with dual booting or vmware, so the only potential user group really deprived of eet is the mac users.
I don't know if you used a cross platform api to make this game, but if you did - please make a mac version too!
if it's an availablity of a mac machine to compile on that is the obstacle, you can easily find someone to compile and test for you (maybe even myself can)!
10x

01-01-2007 at 10:52 PM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
I'm not terribly convinced that Linux users (I'm one of them) are that likely to play the game as it stands now. If that *is* the case, however, I'd expect something like Wine to be the most common solution. Wine Is Not an Emulator, so it can run nearly as well as the original, and does not involve such headaches as multi-booting or straight emulation.

I guess it would be pretty much the same thing on Mac Os X: sure, that Boot Camp thing is kind of nice, but I expect life would be much easier without having to go through the whole "let's power down the computer and get back in Windows" thing. Wine is being ported to Mac Os X/PPC, though I have no idea how well it works at present (I suspect it's far from fully working, as the Wine website does not offer the Mac Os X port in their Download section).

Technical details aside, I know I won't run programs that aren't directly supported via Wine and the like. I find that just results in a whole can of complications, and Wine without support looks pretty much like actual Windows arcane to me (as in, "it doesn't work, but do something completely unrelated, and it might just decide to work for no apparent reason. You know, heuristics and all that.").

So, my point is that porting and supporting other platforms is always nicer for a given program, despite the existence of some technical work-arounds. I guess the catch with that is, of course, that it always takes more time, even when no extensive rewriting is required (that doesn't help, of course). So, today will be my "I love you, Trick!" day.
01-01-2007 at 11:15 PM
BDR
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 106
Alneyan wrote:
(as in, "it doesn't work, but do something completely unrelated, and it might just decide to work for no apparent reason. You know, heuristics and all that.").

True story: My computer's sound started acting strangely with some MP3's I had (parts of the music wouldn't play so it would range from slightly disturbed to completely out of whack), and eventually stopped working altogether. My cousin came over to help me try to get it working again, and after trying everything he could think of he and I got a page up for buying a new sound card and gave the sound one last try. It worked just like it had before it went goofy on me. This was after at least two or three (possibly four or five) hours of working on it.

Also, IIRC there was a week at one point where my computer either froze or shut down at random. After having it off for a bit, though, it worked fine. I have no idea why. And I'm still using it, too (going on 4 years sometime in January).

[Last edited by BDR at 01-02-2007 04:19 AM]
01-02-2007 at 04:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Beef Row
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 471
Blondbeard wrote:
I like it. 20$ isnīt that much money. Itīs a good game to have as a deversion. Itīs cute and donīt require too much thinking. Also you can spend much more time on it in order to optimize all the levels ;) It isnīt as good value for money as DROD, but the user made levels seems to be dropping in quite fast and I found it worth my money.

(ps. No game is as good value for money as DROD :D)

I have to disagree... no game is as good a value for the money as a roguelike. Inifinite replayability/Zero cost = infinite value to cost ratio!

01-02-2007 at 04:32 AM
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Beef Row wrote:
I have to disagree... no game is as good a value for the money as a roguelike. Inifinite replayability/Zero cost = infinite value to cost ratio!
Just because the value of roguelike cannot be defined isn't a reason to say that its better than DROD. :P
01-02-2007 at 04:43 AM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
icon Re: Eets: Hunger. It's emotional (+2)  
I think infinite playability is to infinite replayability as aleph one is to aleph null. That is to say, DROD's infinite playability has infinitely more awesomeness points than a roguelike's infinite replayability (New holds imply playability has the potential to last forever.) , since DROD has that as well in the high scores.

And aleph one divided by a finite number yields...aleph one. Better than your aleph null infinity.

Thus, DROD still rules, best game ever. QED.

01-02-2007 at 04:47 AM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Infinite replayability is nothing if I don't want to play the game the first time. I feel that way about roguelikes (although theoretically one could make a roguelike that has the elements I'm looking for in a roguelike, in practice I'll play Diablo instead).

01-02-2007 at 07:08 AM
Maurog
Rank Points: 1501
Diablo *is* a roguelike! Stripped of many elements to simplify it for the masses, but a roguelike nevertheless.

01-02-2007 at 08:15 AM
bigorilla
Rank Points: 13
playing costs you time. so here goes your zero cost thing.

01-02-2007 at 10:06 AM
Beef Row
bigorilla wrote:
playing costs you time. so here goes your zero cost thing.

But thats only a problem if you value playing the game less than other uses of the time. However, while trying to decide if this means I can argue a free game THAT YOU NEVER PLAY would be even more truly cost free, I lost The Game.

But thats neither here nor there, because it is now clear that Progress Quest in fact provides the greatest value of all, as it is infinitely playable AND replayable, is free, and has no time cost whatsoever!

01-02-2007 at 10:33 AM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
Beef Row wrote:
[...] [Progress Quest] has no time cost whatsoever!

What about character creation?

If you can automate that part too, I'll bow down to you, sir, and admit the error of my ways.
01-02-2007 at 10:38 AM
BDR
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 106
To bring this slightly back on-topic (but not completely): Congrats on winning the Jayisgames competition for the Download [other] category, Bigfoot! Your game is on my 'to try' list but I haven't yet. ;) Give me some time.

Those curious about DROD's performance will be pleased to hear that it received 21% of the user votes, placing third in the competition (Eets received 22%, while Virtual Villagers took first with 25%).
01-02-2007 at 08:21 PM
Syntax
Rank Points: 1218
Unfortunately, I'm not sure BigFoot has been back since nearly a year ago :( Nice thought though :)
01-02-2007 at 10:50 PM
Beef Row
Alneyan wrote:
Beef Row wrote:
[...] [Progress Quest] has no time cost whatsoever!

What about character creation?

If you can automate that part too, I'll bow down to you, sir, and admit the error of my ways.

Heh, if you're on a windows based system, the automation doesn't have to stop at character creation, with the new Progress Quest expansion pack, Virus Quest! Its the only game you don't even have to install!

01-03-2007 at 08:38 AM
BigFoot
Hey! I got tipped off that this thread was revived, so I thought I'd drop by and say hi :)

I totally understand that Eets is sort of a hit and miss game -- it's certainly not everybody's cup of tea. We did lower the price to 10 bucks to make the choice easier, though! Hopefully between that and a community that's steadily growing (but no where near as awesome as the DROD community ;)), you'll find it worth your time.

Thanks for the kudos, BDR!

[Last edited by BigFoot at 01-08-2007 03:55 AM]
01-08-2007 at 03:54 AM
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : Eets: Hunger. It's emotional (a new puzzle game!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com