Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : When should a hold be updated? (When should a hold be updated?)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
When should a hold be updated?
Never!
Major issues only.
Minor issues.
Any time.
Note: Viewing results forfeits your right to vote.
Poster Message
Stephen4Louise
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 548
IP: Logged
icon When should a hold be updated? (0)  
Personally the only reason I like to see an updated hold is if it is for a major issue such as hold is not finishable, but I am interested to hear other peoples views on the subject.

The reason I ask is that in http://forum.caravelgames.com/viewtopic.php?TopicID=9589 Ezlo found a small bug in the scripting in one of the rooms of my hold. In a perfect world that and any other bugs would have been picked up during testing, but we all know that is impossible.
03-16-2006 at 09:55 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: When should a hold be updated? (+1)  
Well, I think it sort of depends on other aspects of the issue in addition to its severity.

Basically, I'd think the answer is as follows:

- If it's a critical issue (hold is unsolvable), you must update.
- If it's a major issue but not a critical one (a room is broken in a way that it's still solvable but maybe it's much harder than intended, or much easier; a non-required room is not solvable, etc.), you can either update or not.
- If it's a minor issue (a cosmetic/dialogue issue, a trivial solution that's hard to find, etc.) only update if you can do it without affecting the high scores of people who legitimately already solved the rooms in question.

Also, in general, it's better to have fewer updates than many so unless the hold is unsolvable I'd sit on an issue for a while and see if others come up before updating.

03-16-2006 at 01:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Pilchard VIII
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 392
In my opinion, I think that an architect of a hold should have the right to edit their own work at any time. This as a result, adds more gameplay to their hold which they never would have got if they hadn't updated the hold in the first place. And if a holds got more bugs than a jam picnic, then fixing these bugs makes it better for the architect in knowing that they've got a bug-free hold and for the delver for knowing that the hold runs smoothly and not like my King Pilchard VIII's dungeon. In conclusion, I think that it is a good thing to freely edit, because if it means that it's more fun, then the architect would have done his job.

03-16-2006 at 01:34 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Largely, don't screw over people that have high scores, unless a trivial solution is really, really trivial. If it's some room that's unscorable, go for it.
03-16-2006 at 03:57 PM
Blondbeard
Rank Points: 1486
icon Re: When should a hold be updated? (0)  
I said any time, but I agree with others that you should try to not mess with others highscores.
03-16-2006 at 07:10 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : When should a hold be updated? (When should a hold be updated?) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com