Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Entrance mapping
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
butsam
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 114
IP: Logged
icon Entrance mapping (0)  
I request the ability to map multiple entrances to different rooms on the same level. This would give you the ability to make many more puzzles by having a level where you go, for instance, on stairs from level 1 to level 2, and then on different stairs from level 2 back up to a new part of level 1.

Sam
07-18-2003 at 01:03 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Scott
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 578
icon Re: Entrance mapping (0)  
How would this work Sam. If you have 2 separate parts to level 1 then how would the blue door know when to open. It would need to open when half the level is complete but then there can be no blue door for the second half. What would this add that you can just do with 2 separate levels?
07-18-2003 at 02:24 AM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5064
You don't put a blue door in front of the first exit. You put it in front of a second exit in level 1, that won't open until everything (both halves) in level 1 is conquered. The second exit goes to a new part of level 2, or to level 3.

I agree this would be a great feature. We'll see about putting in the next release.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-18-2003 at 02:53 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
icon Re: Re: Entrance mapping (0)  
Will savegame positions keep track of multiple partially completed levels? I wouldn't want to return to level one to find that I've got to do a set of rooms again, which can only be accessed by going via level 2...
07-18-2003 at 03:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
butsam
Exactly--blue doors still wouldn't open until after the whole level is completed. Of course, partial completes of multiple levels should be tracked. However, you could place a blue door at a certain point in level 1 to trap Beethro in the 1st half, then have stairs down to level 2 within that first half, NOT blocked by a blue door. Then level 2 would allow you to go back up to level 1 later on down the road, but in a room on the "other" side of that half-point blue door.

Thank you very much for the consideration and effort to get it incorporated :)

Sam

PS: Perhaps each staircase should have an entry point that is associated with that particular staircase (ie, associated with where the staircase leads), rather than each level having an entrypoint--this would be the easiest way I can see to do this. Of course, the game would still have to have an entrypoint specified...but this could be, for instance, on level 26, and Beethro must now work his way back up to the top of King Dugan's Dungeon.
07-18-2003 at 04:54 PM
Scott
Rank Points: 578
I still fail to see what this adds though.

Is L1(first half) -> L2 -> L1(second half) -> L3 -> End

better/different from

L1 -> L2 -> L3 -> L4 -> End?

where L1 is L1(first half) and L3 is L1(second half)
07-19-2003 at 02:01 AM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5064
icon Re: Re: Entrance mapping (0)  
Scott wrote:
I still fail to see what this adds though.
The setup you describe isn't too special in itself, but what is cool is something like this:

L1(first half) -> L2 -> L1(second half) -> Secret Level -> L3

where if you don't take the stairs back up to level 1 all you get is:

L1(first half) -> L2 -> L3

(Observe that level two might have two or more exits: one going back to level 1, and the other going on to level 3.)

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-19-2003 at 02:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
butsam
Exactly :) I also just realized it could also make it so there are a room or two extra (not required though) that you must fight in order to get to the secret passage. Originally, I planned on straightforward levels if you wanted to go linearly, but a maze alternating between two levels if you wanted to warp...throw in a bit of excitement there :) A secret level is also a very good idea--I for one considered the long-snake puzzles (I always forget what level it is...mid-teens on Dugan's) a bonus--perhaps I will add a secret level like that :)

My original plan was: L1 -> L2 -> L1 (if you want to warp) -> warp room with warps to any level your heart desires.

However, you could go more straightforward: L1->L2->L3, but it would take away the warp possibility--the warp would be impossible to get to without going up from level 2.

It also just makes more sense for the staircases to each have an entrance room associated with them.

Sam

[Edited by butsam on 07-19-2003 at 05:30 PM]

[Edited by butsam on 07-19-2003 at 05:31 PM]
07-19-2003 at 05:20 PM
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
Stairs do go up. Didn't you know that? Go to the secret warp room on level 12 and play around with the minus sign.

07-24-2003 at 12:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Entrance mapping
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com