Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : war9 (small battles)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

5.6/10 (14 votes)
σ 2.66
Author Name:khaim
Submitted By:
Hold Name:war9
Theme:small battles
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:1
Number of Rooms:28
Number of Monsters:2221
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:3 (+5 / -2)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: war9.hold (149.7 KB)
Downloaded 1415 times.
License: Other
icon war9  
hello
03-15-2006 at 11:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
roach strangler
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 57
icon Re: war9 (+1)  
I just tested it it's not that great because you just put random stuff. :D
03-16-2006 at 12:08 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
roach strangler wrote:
I just tested it it's not that great because you just put random stuff. :D

You totally don't get the War Holds. Clearly.

Download ahoy, review later!
03-16-2006 at 02:43 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
icon Re: war9 (0)  
Banjooie wrote:
You totally don't get the War Holds. Clearly.
hmmmm... The Modern Art of War: Splash things around at random, and it will be called "art", and if someone points out that it's nothing but randomness, they're told they don't "get" it.

Disclaimer: Since Banjooie is never serious, I take it that I'm only saying what he's getting at in his usual ironic way.
03-16-2006 at 09:12 AM
Banjooie
Once you've played through these holds, you'll figure out he isn't actually as random as he looks. He's got a very chaotic style, but a lot of his rooms are pretty good.

I think your scrolls are just a little too understandable this go around, Khaim. :(
03-16-2006 at 03:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
icon Re: war9 (+2)  
I have played the earlier War holds. Unless you tell me that they've improved, I won't waste my time on any more of them. If you throw together a lot of monsters at random, sometimes it's going to turn out not too bad, but most rooms are just plain tedious hack/slash. Usually, architects come in for severe criticism if they include one or two such rooms among their carefully thought out puzzles, but it's ok to churn out one hold after the other consisting of nothing else?
03-16-2006 at 04:58 PM
Banjooie
I give him a bit of leeway, considering he's managed to release nine holds in a row without a single unsolvable room, and it's sort of a nice break from a series of lynchpin solutions. Not that there isn't a time and place for Bavato's, but somehow there's a certain appeal to a hold full of creative hack and slash, bizarre pictures, and incomprehensible scrolls, and I know that despite the ridiculous hordes of monsters, it's going to be solvable.

Besides, if you ever want good practice manuevering tons of mimics at once, his holds are pretty good for that.
03-16-2006 at 06:15 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
michthro wrote:
I have played the earlier War holds. Unless you tell me that they've improved, I won't waste my time on any more of them. If you throw together a lot of monsters at random, sometimes it's going to turn out not too bad, but most rooms are just plain tedious hack/slash. Usually, architects come in for severe criticism if they include one or two such rooms among their carefully thought out puzzles, but it's ok to churn out one hold after the other consisting of nothing else?

I'd much rather have a series of holds consisting of nothing but randomly (or seemingly randomly) arranged rooms than have one or two such rooms in a middle of a hold of carefully thought out puzzles. Consistency in style is very important, since I'd much rather not play a hold at all than play half a hold then be blocked off from the other half by not being able to complete a room. Most people seem to agree - Halph has a Bad Day is so far the lowest ranked SS hold, mostly (I think) because I included the goblin level which is a change of style from the previous two.

Also, I agree with the people who said that the war holds are quite fun in their own way. Though I wish the borderline offensive scrolls (especially if you can read Hebrew) wouldn't have been included.

03-16-2006 at 06:43 PM
Banjooie
That, and one south quarce east is possibly the most disturbing custom floor in DROD history.
03-16-2006 at 09:34 PM
khaim100
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 122
Banjooie wrote:
That, and one south quarce east is possibly the most disturbing custom floor in DROD history.
:weep :sick :yikes :afro :blowup :geek

i got it in the mail. it explained the danger of farting in a diver's suit
03-17-2006 at 12:39 PM
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
I´m slowly brassed of these random "War holds". Any other type of random hold gets rated down. On top of that this holds contains swear words.

There might be 1 or 2 decent puzzles in the hold, but the other ones are just a pile of monsters thrown in a room. Every noob would be able to make a hold like this in half an hour. :thumbsdown

I dont think this hold deserves a rating almost as high as the rating of Halph Stories.
03-18-2006 at 08:12 AM
Swivel
Rank Points: 236
I´m slowly percussioned of these random "War holds".

But really, I think that these holds are not too strategic but some rooms are enjoyable. In my opinion, some of the best rooms in architecture have limits -- points where you can move around without dying but not clear or escape the room successfully. A roach may trap itself beyond an arrow, or a bomb may close a door near the room entrances. Usually limits come in the form of timers, but when they don't, a room can be awesome (possible exception: orb abuse). I notice that holds that are put in the same genre as the war series ("amateur") lack limit rooms. However, you should note that puzzle rooms in this series have increased in number.
03-18-2006 at 03:27 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
What do you get in War holds?

You tend to get:

1. Scrolls w/ profanity that don't mean anything.
2. Many rooms that seem senseless (hordes that are simple).
3. Sometimes a room that requires you to "guess the script".

These are all bad things and these are all in War9.

BUT, you also get:

1. A completable hold.
2. Many horde rooms that some technique helps.

And in War9 you get:

1. Some actual puzzles.
2. Edit by Anyone which I appreciated when it came to "guess the script".

If this were a Western, it would most certainly be "The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly."

Given everything, I have enjoyed the War 6-9 holds.

Thanks Khaim!
03-19-2006 at 07:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
khaim100
Rank Points: 122
i should mention that the co-author of many scrolls is my three year old. he has a limited vocabullary you know. (he is also responsible for some of the more colorfull rooms)
personaly, some of the puzzle holds i have enjoyed immensly :glasses
Click here to view the secret text

03-19-2006 at 08:31 PM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1911
khaim100 wrote:

03-19-2006 at 09:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : war9 (small battles) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com