Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Bizzare bug (or, how I killed my copy of DROD)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
IP: Logged
icon Bizzare bug (+1)  
Ok, this is a bit of a story, so I'll try to break it down to the relevant pieces:

- I was checking something in Halph has a Bad Day, and I accidently switched the order of levels. I switched them back, but now I could no longer see/upload Caravelnet demos.

- So, I figured to myself, no problem, I just redownload from Caravlnet.

- But then I discovered that the caravelnet download button is greyed out, and so is the delete button.

- It is apparently impossible to delete a SS hold, and it is also impossible to redownload it if it got screwed up. This is a problem, and I'll address it again below, but it's not the bug I'm reporting.

- See, I talked to Schik and he said the problem was my version of HHABD is newer than the caravelnet version which is why I can't download. Not a problem, I thought, let me just turn my computer clock back, make a modification, and then it will be older.

- So I exited DROD, turned the clock back to March 2005, reentered DROD, and made a change in the hold.

- I then exited DROD again, reset the clock to the right day, and tried re-entering DROD.

- But it won't start. Or more accurately, it will start, beep once to indicate an assertion error, then allow me to choose a player. When I choose the player, it crashes to desktop, regardless of which player I choose (I tried creating a new player as well, no help).

Here are the assertions from drod.err:
DROD 2.0 wrote: Assertion error in line 317 of C:\\Caravel\\DROD17\\DRODLib\\DbLevels.cpp: "pHold"

Assertion error in line 623 of C:\\Caravel\\DROD17\\DRODLib\\DbHolds.cpp: "pPlayer"

So, I definitely think this bug should be fixed. But as I said above, I don't think it's a good idea to prevent people from redownloading a caravelnet hold if their got corrupted. I think that the version on caravelnet should be considered the master copy, and it should always be available, regardless of whether the local version is newer. This is mostly a problem right now with SS holds since they are undeletable, but I can't see that there's any reason to prevent people from easily reverting to the official version of a hold in the more general case, right?

[Last edited by eytanz at 03-13-2006 06:02 PM]
03-13-2006 at 06:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
icon Re: Bizzare bug (0)  
eytanz wrote:
- It is apparently impossible to delete a SS hold, and it is also impossible to redownload it if it got screwed up.
I've fixed this so hold authors are always able to delete their own holds.
- So I exited DROD, turned the clock back to March 2005, reentered DROD, and made a change in the hold.

- I then exited DROD again, reset the clock to the right day, and tried re-entering DROD.

- But it won't start.
The hold IDs have been scrambled, but the rest of the .dats are fine. Eytan's going to try to reproduce this.
...it will start, beep once to indicate an assertion error, then allow me to choose a player. When I choose the player, it crashes to desktop
I've fixed the crash that occurs when .dats are broken in this fashion (but it won't fix the .dats).
I can't see that there's any reason to prevent people from easily reverting to the official version of a hold in the more general case, right?
That's fine, as long as an appropriate warning message is provided first. This seems more difficult to implement though, so I'll have to report back on this later.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
03-15-2006 at 07:50 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2708
icon Re: Bizzare bug (+1)  
Ok, tried replicating it (almost) and didn't manage, so I guess it might have been some sort of fluke.

Note that I forgot to replicate before leaving my office so I tried it at home; the only difference is that this is a demo installation of 2.0 rather than the full installation. I doubt that that matters.

03-16-2006 at 02:11 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Bizzare bug (or, how I killed my copy of DROD)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com