Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Yet another monster idea
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
IP: Logged
icon Yet another monster idea (0)  
I\'ve been trying to think up something that\'s really new, and completely different than any existing monster, and here\'s the best I came up with.

It\'s a giant spider. Okay, some large 6-legged thingy. I think with 8 legs it would get too crowded.

It would move spider-like (every turn, 3 non-consecutive legs move one square). The legs would have to have limited motion - i.e. it has to support itself by keeping the legs spread around it\'s body. The spider can step on you to kill you (come on, it\'s huge!). You can step under the legs, but not under the \"feet\".

You can kill the spider by running between the legs and killing the head or by chopping off a couple of it\'s legs so it can\'t walk.

The worst thing I see is that it needs a large area to get around in.

Thoughts, comments?

02-21-2003 at 08:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
krammer
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 904
icon Re: Yet another monster idea (0)  
I like the idea but I\'m not sure about the movement. Do all the legs move in exactly the same direction? Or could you have one going north, one west and one northwest, say? This monster could be almost too complex.

As you point out you wouldn\'t have much space for lots of other things in the room so puzzling ability would be fairly limited.

And one other thing - how do you chop off the legs if you can pass underneath them? Unless you chop them at the feet...

Its an interesting idea though - a lot better than I could come up with!

"Oook!"
02-21-2003 at 08:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Well, the legs don\'t shrink and grow (more than they *have* to due to the tile-based nature of the game) so they\'d have to go in somewhat similar directions.

I don\'t know what can be done in terms of making puzzles with this - I\'m just trying to make something *different*.

Oh, and my thought was that you chop off legs at the feet.

02-21-2003 at 08:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
That is new and different to say the least.

02-21-2003 at 09:39 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Malarame
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
Interesting idea, but I wonder how hard it would be, especially since you wouldn\'t be able to put much else in the room. And by the way, is that a screenshot of the level editor?

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
02-22-2003 at 04:10 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Schik
Possibilities to make him more intersting, puzzle-wise:

- Any monsters that walk under his head get eaten. This way you would want to keep him alive longer in certain circumstances.
- Maybe you can\'t chop his feet off, so you have to get through the legs to get to the head.
- Since he\'s a really poisonous 6-legged thingy, when he dies the poison eats through the floor (only under his head) making those tiles un-passable.

02-23-2003 at 06:03 AM
zex20913
Rank Points: 1723
How about weakening the floor into a trapdoor? Or, if it\'s a trapdoor, destroying it. I think the leaping from solid to gone is too much.

02-23-2003 at 04:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5058
Schik wrote:
I\'ve been trying to think up something that\'s really new, and completely different than any existing monster, and here\'s the best I came up with.
Wow, this is the first time I saw this thread, and I think this is a neat idea. It IS original and it actually presents an idea Erik and I had for a new monster type -- and to me this is a stunning way to implement it.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
04-16-2003 at 03:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Yet another monster idea
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com