Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Interface: Different results of Alt-F4 between video modes.
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
gamer_extreme_101
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1939
IP: Logged
icon Interface: Different results of Alt-F4 between video modes. (+1)  
Alt-F4 in full-screen mode takes me straight to the desktop.

Alt-F4 in windowed mode takes me to the nag screen.

It's very annoying, especially because I can't tell which button is which because the KDE menu bar covers up the button names.

[Last edited by gamer_extreme_101 at 03-09-2006 09:19 PM]
03-08-2006 at 10:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
trick
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2580
icon Re: Linux, Interface: Different results of Alt-F4 between video modes. (+1)  
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:

Er, does this only happen in the Linux version ? Anyway, I'll take a look at it. (Can't right away, though -- CVS is acting up again. Argh.)
It's very annoying, especially because I can't tell which button is which because the KDE menu bar covers up the button names.
You can move the window by holding the left ALT key* and dragging it with the mouse. (Drag the window, not the ALT key.)

- Gerry

* This modifier is remappable, btw. I like mapping it to the left WIN key.
03-09-2006 at 03:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jamie
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 365
icon Re: Linux, Interface: Different results of Alt-F4 between video modes. (0)  
taskbars should be set to auto-hide like nature intended!!

oh, and the alt thing happens with the FreeBSD version too :)

[Last edited by jamie at 03-09-2006 04:34 PM]
03-09-2006 at 04:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
icon Re: Interface: Different results of Alt-F4 between video modes. (0)  
I just called it Linux because it was the only system I experienced it on. I suppose we should get a Windows person to test it out too.

03-09-2006 at 09:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
kie
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 221
icon Re: Interface: Different results of Alt-F4 between video modes. (+1)  
windowed and fullscreen both exit to desk top on alt-f4 with windows XP

03-09-2006 at 09:46 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
jamie
Gamer probably won't like this, but surely the goal is to make it go to the nag screen in all cases ?

I've had a quick look, and I can't see any OS specific code that affects how alt-f4 is handled... I blame libSDL itself :)

Oh, and cvs is still down!

[Last edited by jamie at 03-11-2006 02:35 AM]
03-11-2006 at 02:27 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Rank Points: 5056
jamie wrote:
Oh, and cvs is still down!
Eek...sorry. I had to move the server a couple days ago and it seems its internet access has been shut down at its new location. I see it's still not up...so I guess it won't be until Monday that the problem will be fixed. :?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
03-11-2006 at 07:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
jamie wrote:
Gamer probably won't like this, but surely the goal is to make it go to the nag screen in all cases ?
Oh no it isn't - I made it known that it shouldn't be the case in this topic for good reason - Alt-F4 is meant as an emergency way out.

03-13-2006 at 11:59 PM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
Alt-F4 is meant as an emergency way out.
Heh. Here's the Autohotkey script I'm using for that:

Click here to view the secret text

Win-D will then hide/show the DROD window. It won't even show up in the window list, although you can of course still find the process in the task manager.

(Of course, this will only work in Windows, but I guess there are programs similar to Autohotkey for other systems... :))

03-14-2006 at 07:49 AM
jamie
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
Oh no it isn't - I made it known that it shouldn't be the case in this topic for good reason - Alt-F4 is meant as an emergency way out.

We'll have to agree to disagree. To me, Alt-F4 is "just another hotkey to close", use ctrl-alt-delete for emergencies :lol

03-14-2006 at 06:16 PM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
You ctrl-alt-delete out of a game while your boss is coming up behind you. :D
03-14-2006 at 09:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
Well, I use Alt-F4 because it is ten times quicker for windowed mode. Then again, Alt-Tab works just as well if your taskbar is on autohide.
03-15-2006 at 12:11 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:

Looking at the DROD code involving processing F4 keypresses, I don't see how this would even be possible in the general case. That is, F4 should never go to the nag screen. It's possible that Alt-F4 behaves differently depending not on screen mode, but on which game screen you're in or something. Or maybe some OS-specific munging of event handling is going on.

Mike

[Last edited by mrimer at 03-15-2006 01:32 AM]
03-15-2006 at 01:30 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
coppro
Rank Points: 1308
It is. If the Alt-F4 is handled by DROD, then it will skip the nag screen. But, if Windows gets it first, then DROD will get a standard quit message.

That's what I think anyway.
03-15-2006 at 01:53 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
coppro wrote:
It is. If the Alt-F4 is handled by DROD, then it will skip the nag screen. But, if Windows gets it first, then DROD will get a standard quit message.
That sounds plausible. Except that the Windows user who reported testing this (kie) says there is no problem for him. I don't have a problem on WinXP either. But this could be happening on Linux/FreeBSD.

03-15-2006 at 04:40 AM
jamie
I can confirm that FreeBSD does as Gamer mentioned on both the main menu screen, and an in-game screen (using the same place in the game in both windowed and full-screen situations)

I assume Linux will be the same.

Anyone tried OS X ?

I'll have a fiddle, but... see sig :)

[Last edited by jamie at 03-15-2006 01:07 PM]
03-15-2006 at 01:05 PM
jamie
I've been looking over the code, but I'm getting a bit confused.... What *are* the requirements of ALT-F4 ?

There are many places (in both windowed and full screen mode) where alt-f4 doesn't do a full quit - notably in dialogues.

If you go to CHANGE PLAYER --> IMPORT it takes 3 F4's to quit in FULL SCREEN mode, and 4 in windowed mode (the extra one being the 'exit nag screen'

(in unix at least..)

In windows, at the same place, it appears that the alt-f4 is ignored, but then when you press cancel at the dialogue, it then jumps to the exit nag screen...

03-15-2006 at 10:14 PM
trick
icon Re: Interface: Different results of Alt-F4 between video modes. (+3)  
I've done a little testing, and found out that it is indeed the window manager getting in the way, intercepting Alt-F4 and sending a Quit event in its place. Unfortunately it's not particularly easy to work around this. Reading the keyboard state after getting the Quit event doesn't seem to work (although it works fine in all other cases). Setting up an event filter to mask the Quit event does work, but unfortunately that masks all Quit events, making it impossible to close the window via the window manager at all. Setting a flag in the event filter upon Quit to handle it manually can get around that, but then the keyboard state doesn't work again. Argh.

There is another way to accomplish this, though. Grabbing the input makes (almost) all keyboard events bypass the window manager and go directly to the window. Unfortunately this also means confining the mouse to the window, which makes it rather unusable for our purposes. Well, unless I set up a system that grabs the input when the mouse enters the window and ungrabs it when it attempts to leave, so that we'd at least get the event when the mouse is in the window. Hm. I made a little test program, and this seems to work fine. It would be possible to add this to DROD, but this would also mean that any other WM hotkeys would not be handled correctly (unless we add code for those, if possible). For example, moving the window with ALT (or WIN/META/whatever) wouldn't work. I think this might be a bit too intrusive. Too bad we can't do selective grabbing .. (Hm, actually I think that could be arranged too, by ungrabbing on key-down and grabbing on key-up, and having a special case for ALT-dragging .. Resulting in layers upon layers of hacks .. :)).

- Gerry
03-23-2006 at 05:52 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Not sure if this is a valid option, but what about making a separate "Quick Exit Shortcut" combination of keys to make it close. Would that command, if it was separate from other window manager commands, work for just that window to make it close straight to desktop?

03-23-2006 at 09:29 PM
trick
Making it a different shortcut than Alt-F4, you mean ? Sure, that'd work, assuming the WM doesn't snap that up as well, of course -- and if it does snap it up, you don't know what it'll do. For example, if Alt-F5 was the WM shortcut for ejecting all the fans from the PC tower, and DROD used that as a documented quit shortcut in stead of Alt-F4 ? We wouldn't get many fans from that, I can tell you.

- Gerry
03-23-2006 at 11:43 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Well, what about something like [Control] + [Shift] + [Q]? I'm pretty sure three key shortcuts aren't in many window managers. Besides, it requires less hadn movement than [Alt] + [F4], and only requires one hand.

Just a suggestion, of course.

03-24-2006 at 04:47 AM
Briareos
Rank Points: 3516
trick wrote:
For example, if Alt-F5 was the WM shortcut for ejecting all the fans from the PC tower, and DROD used that as a documented quit shortcut in stead of Alt-F4 ? We wouldn't get many fans from that, I can tell you.
Well, if you start collecting the ejected ones you *would* get a lot of fans, but just of the blowing kind... :P

03-24-2006 at 01:27 PM
trick
icon Re: Interface: Different results of Alt-F4 between video modes. (+2)  
Briareos wrote:
Well, if you start collecting the ejected ones you *would* get a lot of fans, but just of the blowing kind... :P
Yeah, but that'd kinda blow.

Anyway, I'm adding some alternate instant exit hotkeys to work around this problem. As of the next patch, you'll be able to instant-exit with any of Alt-F4 and Ctrl-F4 on all OSes, and Alt-Break and Ctrl-Break as well for Linux and FreeBSD. Sound good ?

- Gerry

[Last edited by trick at 03-25-2006 06:09 PM]
03-25-2006 at 05:55 PM
jamie
Sounds good to me, though I thought real drodders never quit :)

03-26-2006 at 06:16 AM
gamer_extreme_101
Good luck with getting site updates from me or anyone else then. Or good luck with Mike and Gerry and anyone else releasing new patches. Or to anyone on Caravel to create new builds and work on TCB. Let me know how that goes. ;)

03-26-2006 at 06:58 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Interface: Different results of Alt-F4 between video modes.
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com