Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Minor Bug: Orb = Wall?
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Zmann
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 241
IP: Logged
icon Minor Bug: Orb = Wall? (0)  
The error check doesn't consider a orb as a wall when its on the edge of the room. Yeah, thats pretty much it, just a little bug.
07-17-2003 at 01:29 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5058
icon Re: Minor Bug: Orb = Wall? (0)  
So the problem you're addressing is that you can step onto the orb if you enter the room onto that square, right? I just checked and noticed you can do that with tar, too. I'm not quite sure how to handle this, so I'm gonna delegate the solution to Erik!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-17-2003 at 03:00 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Re: Minor Bug: Orb = Wall? (0)  
mrimer wrote:
So the problem you're addressing is that you can step onto the orb if you enter the room onto that square, right? I just checked and noticed you can do that with tar, too. I'm not quite sure how to handle this, so I'm gonna delegate the solution to Erik!
Can we just disallow certain objects from being placed on the perimeter? Monsters, tar, and orbs would be disallowed on the perimeter. I think everything else is good.

-Erik

07-17-2003 at 03:16 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
mrimer
Dugan's Dungeon at least has tar on the perimeter (level 24, tar maze).

07-17-2003 at 03:18 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
StuartK
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 564
Prevent entering from an adjacent room, if the way is blocked, if tar or orbs are present? That would block access in those level 24 rooms though (though having looked at them, it appears access is blocked already ;) ) Tar can of course grow, but never appears to be at the edge, in an accessable location, on the first turn.

If Beethro were allowed to clear the square he's on, and the tar square, this presents the potential that he starts a room with a tar baby right next to him, and nowhere to move. Bad room design though...

Or, Beethro could slip off the orb/tar automatically (hey, they're slippy) upon entering. Could be used for automatically placing Beethro in a non edge square if he is forced to tar surf first.
07-17-2003 at 03:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
icon Re: Re: Minor Bug: Orb = Wall? (0)  
mrimer wrote:
Dugan's Dungeon at least has tar on the perimeter (level 24, tar maze).
Yeah, I just went and looked at that room. There's only a small unreachable area where the tar is on the perimeter. I don't think there is any place in DD where tar on the perimeter is part of the puzzle. We could just disallow placement in the editor of perimeter tar and leave the few violating examples in Dugan's Dungeon as they are.

-Erik

07-17-2003 at 03:43 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Zmann
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 241
It's easily fixable by putting a wall on the the other side of the tar/orb. I'm just saying that you could just make the error check think of it as a wall, so there wouldn't be a blue square on either side of both rooms.
07-18-2003 at 03:47 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Zmann wrote:
The error check doesn't consider a orb as a wall when its on the edge of the room.
In build 30 orbs and tar will be considered as walls on the edge check. You will no longer be able to enter a room onto a wall. (The exception is broken walls, in order to facilitate inter-room secret passages.)

07-19-2003 at 09:25 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Minor Bug: Orb = Wall?
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com