Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : DROD for Mobiles
Page 4 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Curzon
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 92
IP: Logged
icon Re: DROD for Mobiles (0)  
Ok, while I am in good mood to write. Some long overdue feedback to the tiles:

As I mentioned before, there is a tradeoff between image quality and space (memory). Your images look very good. Slightly too good. I probably cannot afford multiple images for the doors. (If I want to stay below 64Kb, which my (old) mobile requires). For my new mobile that would be no problem at all, but I want to keep i accessible for older phones as well.

Shadows: My current images have no shadows, although I have tested it a little. To display these shadows correctly, again, a huge number of shadow tiles are required.

Monsters: Your monsters are larger than the tiles, which is interesting. It makes it better to see, which is a good thing. It makes it harder to place them, but the longer I think about it, the better I feel. Yes, the larger monsters are very good. I will do some experiments.

05-19-2007 at 01:42 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Jason
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1076
Curzon, could you relink to the emulator and newest jad and jar files, because the link it broken. Nice work!

05-19-2007 at 02:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Curzon

File: mobileDROD_emulator.zip (886.6 KB)
Downloaded 62 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: DROD for Mobiles (+1)  
I know, that page doesn't exist anymore. And currently I do not have a homepage. But I plan to change that.

All i can do is upload the content of the emulator page. You can download the zip file, extract everything to a folder and load one of the html pages. that should work.
05-19-2007 at 02:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
vittro
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 479
Please guys, help me, I really want it on my motorola v1750...

05-19-2007 at 04:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Jason
w00t! I finally installed it on my phone! Great job, Curzon!

05-19-2007 at 09:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
bjozen
Level: Roachling
Rank Points: 10
That really rocks!
Are you going to develope it further?
Do you also release the sourcecode?

05-23-2007 at 07:58 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Wow, guys, this is looking great!

(A thought: is it possible to make multi-tile doors by dividing the tiles into quarters? You might be able to get away with a vertical, horizontal, inside and outside corner quarter tile that way.)

05-24-2007 at 07:53 AM
Jason
Uhh... Just a note: With the newest version, Beethro can pass any door, open or closed.

05-24-2007 at 04:14 PM
Curzon
Thanks for all the positive feedback :)

@Jason: Sorry, that must be some -uh- experimental version. I will upload something better soon.

@Mattcrampy: I am not sure, that I understand what you are suggesting. To mod all possible doors I would need 16 images, but if use "subtiles", I could cramp 4 into a single tile, that would make for tiles for each door (red, green, yellow and blue (no black (yet))). That sounds reasonable. I will give it a try.

@bjozen: Yes, I am still - or rather again - developing. CUrrently I am improving the leveleditor and some small graphical imrpovements on the actual game. I have not thought about releasing the source code much. As DROD is open source it would make sense to have it open source as well. I will think about it.
05-24-2007 at 07:49 PM
Curzon

File: emulator.zip (607.3 KB)
Downloaded 48 times.
icon Re: DROD for Mobiles (+3)  
I have fixed all (I hope) bugs in the program, but there seem to be an enormous amount of bugs in the levels. If i improve the leveleditor, these should be easier to track.

Graphics: the quarter-tile-door-thing was a good idea and works. Now I only need some better looking doors. Ah, by the way, the monster images and other objects above the floor are allowed to overlap by 1 pixel (currently only scroll and potions).
05-24-2007 at 11:06 PM
Curzon

File: screenshot.png (18.9 KB)
Downloaded 718 times.
And a screenshot...

[Last edited by Curzon at 05-24-2007 11:10 PM]
05-24-2007 at 11:09 PM
Jason
Great! Is there any plan for the level editor to be encorperated into the program?

05-25-2007 at 07:54 AM
vittro
Any chance of it on my motorola :~(

05-25-2007 at 12:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Curzon
Maybe I can help you, if you tell me more precisely what your situation is. Do you have some cable to connect the phone to the computer? Was there some software shipped with the phone? DO you have a usable IR port? Bluetooth?
Btw, how is your phone called exactly? I couldn't find it with google...
05-25-2007 at 08:22 PM
vittro
I can access my motorola with the suite or seeing that as a "Removable Disk". But no "JAVA", no "GAME" or other things like these folders. The suite doesn't have nothing for installing java games... The only chance would be to upload it... If you tell me how to do it precisely ( step by step ) I'll do it on my host.

05-25-2007 at 08:52 PM
Curzon
Ok, a removable disk is fine. Just upload the .jad and .jar file to any directory. The phone knows, what a java program is. Is there a menu called "Programs" or the like? If I choose this menu on mine, I can basically navigate all folders on the phone, where I can see all programs lying around.
Does that help?
05-25-2007 at 10:21 PM
vittro
My phone has only got a "Games" section, with all the java games. No way of exploring the phone... The only chance is to upload it...

05-26-2007 at 12:17 PM
chs13
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 15
I had no problems putting it on my Motorola Razer. :thumbsup I have plenty of screen space to spare.
06-01-2007 at 07:16 AM
vittro
chs13 wrote:
I had no problems putting it on my Motorola Razer. :thumbsup I have plenty of screen space to spare.

How? Please tell me!

06-01-2007 at 11:34 AM
chs13
vittro wrote:

How? Please tell me!

I have a MotoRazr V3xx. Using the USB cable, the phone shows up as a mass storeage device. The root directory contains a folder called "mobile" I opened "mobile". "Mobile" contains several folders for things like music and pictures. To keep organized, I created a folder called "applications". I placed the two files (.jar and .jad) in the new applications folder, then I safely removed the usb cable. From the main menu, I went to "my stuff" and then to "games and applications". At the bottom of the menu is an item called "install new" I selected this, and it searched the card and found the game. I selected "Mobile Drod...", and it installed it. It was as easy at that.

[Last edited by chs13 at 06-04-2007 04:32 AM]
06-03-2007 at 04:50 AM
Curzon
chs13 wrote:
I have plenty of screen space to spare.

As the game is originally designed for 128x128 screens most modern mobiles should have some scrren space to spare. If I can good images 12x12 (->160x160) and 16x16 (->240x240), it is nearly no effort to create the game for the larger screens (in fact i can easily make the 16x16 version by simply doubling the size of each pixel of 8x8. that doesn't look as nice as it could, but is better than the tiny version with the 8x8 images.)

06-03-2007 at 08:23 AM
vittro
chs13 wrote:
I have a MotoRazr V3xx. Using the USB cable, the phone shows up as a mass storeage device. The root directory contains a folder called "mobile" I opened "mobile". "Mobile" contains several folders for things like music and pictures. To keep organized, I created a folder called "applications". I placed the two files (.jar and .jad) in the new applications folder, then I safely removed the usb cable. From the main menu, I went to "my stuff" and then to "games and applications". At the bottom of the menu is an item called "install new" I selected this, and it searched the card and found the game. I selected "Mobile Drog...", and it installed it. It was as easy at that.

I did like you described. Except I used bluetooth. Anyway, when I go in Install New, nothing appears... Only a blank screen with the text "New Application"... I installed the game on my external memory :

mobile/applications/

I did like you said... I don't know what is wrong. :~(

06-03-2007 at 11:41 AM
vittro
Oh, I also uploaded the jar file renamed to drod.jar and tried to download it. no luck.

YES!!! UPLOADING ALSO THE JAD WORKED!!!!

Here's the link if you want to download it from your phone :

superv.altervista.org/drod.jar

[Last edited by vittro at 06-03-2007 11:51 AM]
06-03-2007 at 11:48 AM
chs13
Curzon wrote:
If I can good images 12x12 (->160x160) and 16x16 (->240x240), it is nearly no effort to create the game for the larger screens

I'm sure if you post your current source art that someone, maybe even me, would scale them up to 12x12 and 16x16 for you.

06-03-2007 at 04:07 PM
vittro
Misclicked the thread, sorry.

[Last edited by vittro at 06-03-2007 07:28 PM]
06-03-2007 at 06:30 PM
Kevin_P86
Rank Points: 535
vittro wrote:
Example of a combo :
I'm going to go ahead and assume that this is in fact not the thread in which you intended to post this?

[Last edited by Kevin_P86 at 06-04-2007 08:15 AM]
06-03-2007 at 07:04 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Curzon

File: tiles8x8.zip (5.9 KB)
Downloaded 50 times.
icon Re: DROD for Mobiles (+3)  
chs13 wrote:
I'm sure if you post your current source art that someone, maybe even me, would scale them up to 12x12 and 16x16 for you.

That would be great. The images are not final, so the 12x12 and 16x16 would have to be changed accordingly if something changes.

The tiles are fairly straight forward. The doors look a little strange due to subtiling. The monster images are on a 10x10 grid, to allow a little overlap. This is currently only used for the scroll and the stairs, but could be anything. I think this will not be necessary for the 16x16, probably not even the 12x12.
06-03-2007 at 07:48 PM
chs13

File: solid12.png (20.4 KB)
Downloaded 61 times.
icon Re: DROD for Mobiles (+2)  
Here is my scale version of the solids at 12x12. The transparents will take more time.
06-04-2007 at 03:24 AM
chs13

File: tiles12.zip (9.5 KB)
Downloaded 46 times.
Here are solid and transparent 12x12s.
06-05-2007 at 04:55 AM
Curzon

File: MobileDROD.zip (55.5 KB)
Downloaded 60 times.
Here is a new version.

I have fixed all of the "stairs lead to somewhere completely wrong" errors and reworked the first level and partly the second.

Call for: Better rooms, better graphics...

[Last edited by Curzon at 06-05-2007 11:00 PM]
06-05-2007 at 10:11 PM
Page 4 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : DROD for Mobiles
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com