Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : DROD for Mobiles
Page 3 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Curzon
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 92
IP: Logged
icon Re: DROD for Mobiles (+1)  
Using the link cable is very simple as well. With the nokia, you should have a CD with various programs. One of it the application installer. Simply download the .jad and .jar file either from this site or in your case from my homepage, as there is the dedicted Nokia version (both files are at the same location). Then do as described in the manual.
04-22-2006 at 04:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
vittro
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 479
icon Re: DROD for Mobiles (0)  
Curzon wrote:
Andy101 wrote:
"The requested item could not be loaded, Wrong MIME-Type"

I do not fully understand what it means. When dit that happen? When you were downloading the game to your mobile from my page?

vittro wrote:

Hey, please, i've a big problem. On my nokia7710 i want to change the movement keys. If you can make a keys configuration menu i will be really happy. If not, you can set to turn sword # and + ?

I had a look at the phone. Where are the buttons in the first place? I do not really want to make a keys configuration menu, because that would require some more of precious space. I want to keep the file below 64kb to have it available to older phones as well (like mine).
Besides the sword swinging is at # and +. What happens if you press these buttons? Or asked another way: What keys are you hitting to swing the sword?

My virtual keybord is this :

1 2 3
4 5 6
7 8 9 +
0 #

I can move and wait perfectly, but i can only turn the sword with the # key. + dont work. :weep

04-22-2006 at 07:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Curzon
Andy101 wrote:
I just get a message saying that:

"The requested item could not be loaded, Wrong MIME-Type"

Ok, I figured that out. To make the download work I have to "reconfigure my webserver" so that it recognizes java applications.
Unfortunately my homepage is not on "my webserver", so this not really an option.

I will try to find a spot, where I can put the game.

04-23-2006 at 06:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Curzon
icon Re: DROD for Mobiles (+6)  
I have a version that is close to a finishing point, which is good, because I need some sleep. (I spent roughly 200+ hours on Mobile DROD).

I simplified things a little this time.

You can find an online emulator on my homepage:
http://mypage.bluewin.ch/adensamer/mobile/mobileDRODEmulator.html

A larger version (but less nice) at:
http://mypage.bluewin.ch/adensamer/mobile/mobileDRODEmulatorLarge.html

If you want to download the files directly:
http://mypage.bluewin.ch/adensamer/mobile/Generic-midp1-128x128-MobileDROD.jad
and .jad respectively.

The game includes a introductionary hold with 7 levels, 6 of which can be acessed by the menu. The online emulator can (obviously) not save games between sessions. (A real mobile can).

Some issues are still open and I am not sure if I will adress all of them:

- nicer images (in particular for different screen sizes)
- Brains: my optimal path finding algoritm is very slow.

- Online Emulator: the keys are not very sensible and always when I try to change the settings, the whole thing chrashes.

Well, I hope you like it.

[Last edited by Curzon at 04-30-2006 11:19 PM : add larger version]
04-29-2006 at 11:20 PM
Blondbeard
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1486
Really cool idea! And it looks nice. Is it possible to get it even if you have a non color phone? Just one thing... The qw are reversed. At least on my keyboard q is left of w, but on your emulator the leftmost turning key triggers the w function. I found this very confusing :blush
04-30-2006 at 11:20 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Curzon

File: images.zip (4.7 KB)
Downloaded 58 times.
License: Public Domain
I have changed the applet, so that the keys can be used correctly (the highlighting is a little strange, though). This also fixes teh sword swinging problem.

Is it possible to get it even if you have a non color phone?

That should be no problem at all. I simply need the images converted to bw. I upload the current (color) images I use. Do you need BW or grayscale, what screensize? It could be that there is a problem with transparency, we will see.

[Last edited by Curzon at 04-30-2006 02:31 PM : Add attachment]
04-30-2006 at 12:22 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Could someone explain to me in greater detail how to get this? I'm a stupid guy who has no idea how to emulate phones. :fun
04-30-2006 at 02:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Curzon
Click the link above. Your computer should do everything else.
04-30-2006 at 03:43 PM
Doom
Rank Points: 3226
I tried the emulator and played through the sixth level.

I encountered one bug several times during this: Sometimes when I left a room, I appeared at the correct room, but not at the edge... Specifically, after walking from L6:2N1E to 2N2E, I appeared somewhere on the tar right in front of a serpent. (Yes, I know that I was doing the rooms in a wrong order) Fortunately it's possible to restore into an earlier room. This happened later at the same entrance to the other direction. Coming from 2N2E to 2N1E, I appeared right next to the tar mother.

Something like this happened also at the L6 exit stairs. After walking down, I appeared in the middle of the walls at L1:Entrance. :?

By the way, L6:2N2W seems to be trivial. You don't need to put the mimic to the top part with six orbs.
04-30-2006 at 03:43 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Curzon
Thanks, I will see what I can do.

Doom wrote:
By the way, L6:2N2W seems to be trivial. You don't need to put the mimic to the top part with six orbs.

Ups, I changed that room last minute to have it look a little better...

PS: The problem occurs if you save at a checkpoint and restore. Thanks again, I will fix that asap.

[Last edited by Curzon at 04-30-2006 06:41 PM]
04-30-2006 at 06:22 PM
Doom
Curzon wrote:
PS: The problem occurs if you save at a checkpoint and restore. Thanks again, I will fix that asap.
If you're referring to the teleport-when moving from room to room, then I don't see what checkpoints have to do with it... I just walked off the room, and the next thing I saw was that I was in the middle of the next room.

Anyway, I tried the game some more. I'll post the game bugs/oddities here and several room things in the other topic you created.

- If you restore while placing a mimic, the mimic placement screen won't disappear resulting in one extra mimic.
- If you get killed by a mimic, the game doesn't allow you to move/turn your sword anymore. Game menus still work, but it doesn't seem to start working again without restarting the entire thing.
- There seems to be something weird about checkpoints. If I restore into one, it works properly. But if I do something and restore into the same checkpoint again, I'll always appear into the tile that I went to after stepping off the checkpoint. It's a little hard to explain...
- Finally, a scrollable map could be handful.
04-30-2006 at 08:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Curzon
If you're referring to the teleport-when moving from room to room, then I don't see what checkpoints have to do with it...
It would be a little too complicated to explain, but if you are really interested...

I'll post the game bugs/oddities here and several room things in the other topic you created.
That was exactly what I wanted. :)

- If you restore while placing a mimic, the mimic placement screen won't disappear resulting in one extra mimic.
Do you professionally test software, or did this happen by accident?

The problems with the checkpoints should be fixed now (that was part of the problem with room exits). I will upload a new version soon.

Thanks again for testing. Your experience is a little more alpha than I thought...
04-30-2006 at 10:13 PM
Doom
Curzon wrote:
If you're referring to the teleport-when moving from room to room, then I don't see what checkpoints have to do with it...
It would be a little too complicated to explain, but if you are really interested...
Okay, I'll believe that you know what you're talking about. :yes
Do you professionally test software, or did this happen by accident?
That's flattering... No, just a little luck in one of the exit rooms. It was pretty obvious what had caused it.

I wonder if it would be a good time to upgrade my mobile phone. I could use it's age of around 3 years as an excuse ;)
04-30-2006 at 10:36 PM
Curzon
I don't want to keep you from buying a new phone, but it works fine on mine, which is at least three years old now. The game should run nearly anywhere. Of course it is more comfortable on a cool new phone...

The bugs are all fixed and uploaded.
05-01-2006 at 12:12 AM
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
I've played through levels 6 and 7 on the emulator. Awesome job, Curzon!

Couple of things:
-Sometimes when I step on a checkpoint, Beethro doesn't move, i.e. the graphics aren't updated. On the next move everything's fine again. I don't know how to reproduce this. It usually doesn't happen, but now and then it does.
-Am I missing a room on Level 7? I've cleared 7 rooms, and the blue doors are still up, so I can't clear 1E.
-I think it would be a good idea to rather let monsters behave exactly as they usually do. One thing that keeps catching me is the way brained monsters don't prefer orthogonal moves. This is especially noticeable when clearing tar. It may seem like a minor thing, but I'm so used to certain patterns in monster behaviour, that it feels weird, and becomes a little annoying. I can live with the shorter spawn cycle, although even that keeps catching me - I've developed some rough sense of how much tar I can clear before having to look at the clock and start worrying about the next spawn, and I keep forgetting that I don't have as much time. Queens laying eggs on arrows is another minor difference I can live with, although it's not ideal.
05-01-2006 at 09:36 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Curzon
Thanks for testing.

-Sometimes when I step on a checkpoint, Beethro doesn't move,
Strange. I will see if that happens only to unfortunate users or if I am affected as well.

-Am I missing a room on Level 7? I've cleared 7 rooms, and the blue doors are still up, so I can't clear 1E.
There is no extra room. My mistake, sorry. I will fix it soon. This is one of my favorite rooms...

-I think it would be a good idea to rather let monsters behave exactly as they usually do.

hmmmm
I can understand the problem when clearing tar, I think I know what patterns you mean (I just played Wonderquest and was irritated by the queens already fleeing if you are at level with them). I need to change the brain movement anyway, because it is far too slow. I played it on my mobile and every single move was a horrible wait.
I will definitly not change the spawn counter, but maybe a closing eye could help here. That's probably a little bit too late (it always was for me in the Webfoot version). How about a graphical indicator at half-time?

Queens laying eggs on arrows could be changed quite easily. However, one rooms uses that (the only room I did not create myself).

05-01-2006 at 10:56 PM
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
Curzon wrote:
I will definitly not change the spawn counter, but maybe a closing eye could help here. That's probably a little bit too late (it always was for me in the Webfoot version). How about a graphical indicator at half-time?
I'll get used to the shorter cycle. It doesn't affect monster behaviour as such - just a matter of remembering/being reminded that it's shorter. I think a closing eye would be enough.
Queens laying eggs on arrows could be changed quite easily. However, one rooms uses that (the only room I did not create myself).
Rather change it now, before there are 100 rooms relying on it. The closer to the original, the easier for players to switch between the original and mobile versions.
05-02-2006 at 09:40 AM
Curzon
icon Re: DROD for Mobiles (+3)  
A new version is uploaded to my homepage (link see above):

- no breeding on force counters (you are right about that mitchthro, and the room plays fine even so)
- closing eye for tar
- brain performance improved
- image drawing improved (faster)

05-03-2006 at 07:43 PM
JonnyT
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 23
icon Re: DROD for Mobiles (+4)  
Hi all -

I recently re-discovered the wonderful world of DROD and purchased JtRH. I've long thought about how DROD would play on the mobile platform, and here Curzon has created a working prototype - very nice work! ;)

Here's some tile-art I've been tooling around with while bored at work:

It's designed with an LG-8100 in mind (Verizon Wireless phone). The green area above allows for the default VZW display and additional game elements (Menu, Restart, scroll text, etc.).

I have other elements but they're a bit unpolished. I'll post more mock screenshots if others are interested.

Please tell me what you think!

[Last edited by JonnyT at 07-21-2006 11:16 PM]
07-21-2006 at 10:54 PM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Impressive! Very impressive! I'd be interested in seeing more!
07-21-2006 at 11:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Curzon
Should there be an image or a link? I can't see anything ...

But I am already very excited to see it.
Maybe that gives me the energy to take the final steps in the project. There are still some performance issues on real mobiles that I have to overcome. And better graphics never hurt.

07-22-2006 at 04:44 PM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Looks like the image was edited out, or the image host was changed or something. Hopefully it will come back...it did look really nice.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
07-22-2006 at 05:03 PM
Curzon
Ah, there it is. Looks very nice!

However, my program has only limited possibilites to display shadow. Ok, when I look closely, the roach is above the shadow anyway. Still a problem is the huge number of single images needed to display all possible shadows as I need to keep the total filesize small.

The yellow door is much nicer than the one I use, but again, many images are needed. It's always the same tradeoff: image quality versus total filesize.
07-22-2006 at 10:30 PM
JonnyT

07-23-2006 at 09:50 PM
Curzon
Why did you change the scroll positions?

I really like the images of the scrolls and the potion!
07-23-2006 at 10:57 PM
Curzon
Oh, and the stairs. Very nice!

How did you create that picture? You didn't actually draw it, right? Please, tell me that you didn't. That would have been a lot of work... If you did, what is your job? :)

07-23-2006 at 11:05 PM
JonnyT
Just bored at work... :)

I'm currently working on a Design Document for a J2ME stepper game, and am also working on the tile-art. This is simply practice for me - I also wanted to see how your levels would adapt to a slightly smaller playing field - if you notice, it's 14x14 rather than 15.

The scrolls are in slightly different places simply for the hell of it. I was focusing on aesthetics.

As for what I do - well, it's nothing game related, unfortunately. I'm just an amateur. However, since I'm in a tech support position I have plenty of time to tinker around with things like this in MS Paint!
07-23-2006 at 11:58 PM
JonnyT

Edit: The eyeballs were a little off, so I retooled them: the difference is subtle, but it should help to prevent eyestrain in potential players.

Also, I need to retool the all of the shadows in the first level (diagonal paths feature no gap of light on the floor), so I'll get to those soon.

Please, send me some feedback! I'm relatively new to tile-art creation and would love to hear your thoughts on how this could improve.

Anyone up for creating a Beethro Sprite? :D

[Last edited by JonnyT at 07-26-2006 02:53 AM]
07-25-2006 at 03:56 AM
vittro
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 479
Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I bought a Motorola v1075 and I can't get it to work. The suite don't let me enter in the phone ( like a hd ) but it only let me doing some things, like ringtones, etc... I don't know what to do, please help.

I managed to enter into the external memory, but I don't see any java, or games folder. They're not hidden.

[Last edited by vittro at 05-13-2007 12:41 AM]
05-13-2007 at 12:38 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Curzon
I would love to help, but I am only familiar with Nokia phones. But I am quite sure that almost all newer phones have some software to upload games.
Another option would be to put the files somewhere on this page (if Erik sets the mime type to be recognized), then you can download it directly from the internet. There should be a functionality where you have to enter a webpage and then can simply download it.

For bumping the thread: I have not forgotten it. It only, well, slept a little...

05-19-2007 at 01:28 PM
Page 3 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : DROD for Mobiles
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com