Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : DROD for Mobiles
Page 2 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Curzon
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 92
IP: Logged

File: MobileDROD.zip (41.4 KB)
Downloaded 113 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Re: DROD for Mobiles (+4)  
Hi,

I have a new version, which is interesting enough to upload it:

- 44KB full functionality
- the (simple) start of a hold
- save game progress automatically (+some bugs)

still missing:

- full screen mode (I wasn't able to implement that for MIDP1.0, although it should be possibly by using either Nokia-UI or J2ME-Polish). Is someone knows how to do that, please contact me.

- graphical effects: show which doors are affected when striking an orb, etc.

- rooms, levels, holds: the rooms are 15x15 allowing all features of the original DROD (plus checkpoints).
I would love to get some rooms from the cool designers out there, as my rooms are not as good as I want them.
However note that while it is DROD and plays like DROD, some aspects are different:
- spawn counter goes to 20
- some movements are different (mostly if a monster has to choose between two equivalent options)
- brain movements are slightly different, as I didn't want to read the three pages brain code (pathfinder), but wrote my own.

If you have the nerve you can try and create the level as textfile (description and example in the zip-file), but normal DROD holds will do. Currently there is no room editor.

- to make this somewhat special I will implement my own monster, which only appears on the cell phone.

have fun
Alex
03-23-2006 at 08:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Curzon

File: MobileDROD2.JPG (35.4 KB)
Downloaded 198 times.
icon Re: DROD for Mobiles (+5)  
DROD on my cell phone

04-02-2006 at 07:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Syntax
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1218
icon Re: DROD for Mobiles (0)  
I personally think think this is a phenomenal achievement. It's just the accessibility which I think is getting in the way.

Presuming few people have ever done any mobile dev, how do you get it onto a mobile?
04-02-2006 at 12:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Great job Curzon! It's really very impressive, and I'd love to try it out when it is finished (and if it is possible for me to even get it).

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-02-2006 at 03:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Swivel
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 236
Is there any way for me to run this if I don't have a cell phone? I mean, it is the same Java, but it's a radically different monitor.
04-02-2006 at 04:12 PM
Bombadil
Rank Points: 509
icon Re: DROD for Mobiles (+1)  
Swivel wrote:
Is there any way for me to run this if I don't have a cell phone? I mean, it is the same Java, but it's a radically different monitor.

Curzon wrote:
To run it you need either a mobile phone or an emulator.
I use the WTK (at suns page: http://java.sun.com/products/sjwtoolkit/download-2_2.html ).

When you install that, double click on the .jad file should work.

;)
04-02-2006 at 04:35 PM
Swivel
Rank Points: 236
Yeah, I saw already went to that page and was confused. I have no idea which link to download (well, some idea, but not enough).

By the way, should this thread be in the Development board?

[Last edited by Swivel at 04-02-2006 05:02 PM]
04-02-2006 at 05:00 PM
Curzon
Thanks, for all the replies. I am glad that my work is appreciated.

I understand your confusion about the download page. When you scroll down, you find:

Download J2ME Wireless Toolkit 2.2

Download

That's where you click.

Regarding the wrong board: You are probably right. I am not suzre if the whole thread can be moved, or if I should simply start a new thread there.

I will post a level editor (ordinary java) soon.
04-02-2006 at 05:38 PM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Thread has now been moved (obviously).

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
04-02-2006 at 05:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Where do each of the respective files go in the app/MobileDROD/ tree? I intalled the WTK kit, but have absolutely no idea where anything goes.

Good ol' blissful ignorance.

04-02-2006 at 06:24 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Curzon
In your Programs you should find "J2ME Wireless Toolkit 2.2". There is an entry "Run MIDP application..."

When you start this program (the emulator) a window pops up and prompts you to enter the .jad file you want to run. The program can be anywhere on your disk.

You don't need to set up a complete project with the whole structure, but if you want to the files should be in the bin/ folder.
04-02-2006 at 06:41 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Wow. Flippin amazing. I love it.

Out of curiosity, what size of tiles are you using? I'd be willing to create some for you to pretty it up, if you'd like.

04-02-2006 at 07:19 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Curzon

File: tiles.zip (3.7 KB)
Downloaded 57 times.
My tiles currently are 8x8. Maybe 6x6 will be necessary for smaller displays and 10x10 for larger.

The rooms are 15x15 plus one line of status to the left (clock) and at the bottom. That should be ideal on a display of 120x120 (or 96x96 for 6x6 tiles).

trick already promised me some tiles, but only after TCB is finished. Anyway, I gladly accept all help I can get. I will attach the current tiles I am using. They should be a good starting point.

[Last edited by Curzon at 04-02-2006 10:10 PM : correct version of attachment]
04-02-2006 at 07:43 PM
Curzon
After some actual playing with the game on my mobile phone, I realized, that it doesn't feel as good as expected.
The fingers are cramped on too little space and I can play at a tenth of the speed that I usually play.

I have some options how to improve that:

1. Move the keys a little: The turn keys go up and the move keys down. A small change, that should help a little.

2. Use the "Game keys". It will play a lott better using these keys, but there are only four of them. I think the diagonal movement is too important to drop. (But it is an option nevertheless)

3. I thought of a strange different movement: The player can move in four directions : forward, backwards, left and right, which are relative to the current sword position. Some rooms will not be possible in this way, but most should. I will try some rooms with these restrictions when I get the chance. Again the more comfortable game keys could be used.

Thoughts? Different Ideas?
04-03-2006 at 07:53 AM
Bombadil
Rank Points: 509
I don't think 9+2 keys is a bad thing. If you had to act fast it might be annoying but since is a reflexive game I think it does not matter that much.

I don't like the relative movement. We are too used to "absolute" movement and I think it will feel weird (even for non-usual DROD-ers).

If it's limited to 4 moving directions will monsters move in 4 directions too? That will be even more weird.

Btw, I might give a shot at changing the tiles if I can get some free time...
04-03-2006 at 10:31 AM
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
Curzon wrote:
2. Use the "Game keys". It will play a lott better using these keys, but there are only four of them. I think the diagonal movement is too important to drop. (But it is an option nevertheless)
To filch an idea from roguelikes-on-laptops discussions: you could use two keystrokes for each direction. Press left-left to go left; left-up or up-left is the diagonal; up-up goes up ... of course that's slow as well (twice as many keys to hit), and I don't know what the potential for mistypes is. And you have to work out whether and when to "forget" a first keystroke that isn't soon followed by another. And I frankly have no idea how many phones even have "game keys". Still, it's a different idea ;)
04-03-2006 at 11:37 AM
Curzon
Don't get me wrong. I am not a fast DROD player. But on the mobile it can get quite tedious.

I had the opportunity to test the game on a different cell phone (a modern Sony Ericsson) and it was a little better there.

04-03-2006 at 11:42 AM
Curzon
Ok. I just tested that strange idea and it is not only strange, but stupid.
I wasn't even able to clear a small non-growing piece of tar. I didn't even get to the goblins...

04-03-2006 at 09:58 PM
Curzon

File: MoblieDRODEditor.zip (160.9 KB)
Downloaded 60 times.
icon Re: DROD for Mobiles (+4)  
I already announced it:

I have made a room editor. This is the first version, that works. It does not have the full functionality, but rooms can be created, tested and saved.

Java 1.5 is needed (which can be downloaded at suns homepage).
Start it by double clicking the .jar file.

If you have wonderful ideas for 15x15 rooms, feel free to contribute. If you just want to play around with a different surface, have a go.

04-03-2006 at 10:19 PM
Curzon
Syntax wrote:
I personally think think this is a phenomenal achievement. It's just the accessibility which I think is getting in the way.

Presuming few people have ever done any mobile dev, how do you get it onto a mobile?

I don't think this will be a big issue. I have searched the net a little in the last few days. All cell phones that are capable of running a java game have some kind of browser and can download the game from the internet. You simply have to enter the adress of the jad file (the jar file has to lie next to it I think). For Nokia mobiles this can be done in the menu "Services"->"Add Bookmark" and then "Go To".
I tried it yesterday for some simple game I found, but I need to activate some service from my provider first.

Znirk wrote:
To filch an idea from roguelikes-on-laptops discussions: you could use two keystrokes for each direction.

I will give it a try as well. Another option would be to enable two modes and let the user choose which he likes. This makes only sense if each mode has any chance of beeing chosen.

04-06-2006 at 08:16 AM
Curzon

File: Generic-midp1-128x128-MobileDROD.zip (49.1 KB)
Downloaded 78 times.
icon Re: DROD for Mobiles (+3)  
I have a new Version. :)

This version features:

- graphic effects (door opens, blood, trap doors)
- fullscreen mode for Nokia cell phones (and some Sony Ericsson)
- nice screen layout (very similar to the images trick presented earlier in this thread)
- better integration of scrolls in the screen
- changing levels is possible

- four "tutorial" levels for the first few monster types.

There are 6 different files (for Nokia, for all others and three different tile sizes), but I will only upload the base version.

I mentioned an additional monster before. I have several ideas, which I am currently testing. If someone wants to help evaluate and improve the different ideas, please PM me. I do want to post it after the development is finished.

have fun,
Alex

Note: The zip file contains again the .jad and .jar file.
Second Note: The version is a test version. One implication of that is, that you can walk through green and blue doors. :)

04-20-2006 at 06:18 PM
Curzon

File: DefaultColorPhone.properties (8 KB)
Downloaded 43 times.
icon Re: DROD for Mobiles (+2)  
If you are using the WTK from sun, the playability can be greatly increased by changing the file DefaultColorPhone.properties in the emulator directory that should be named somewhat like
"C:\\Programme\\wtk_2_2\\wtklib\\devices\\DefaultColorPhone".

I have attached the version I am using.

This changes the keys, so that it plays like drod.

04-20-2006 at 06:37 PM
Dali
Rank Points: 174
Curzon wrote:
DROD on my cell phone

Hey! My sister has exactly the same mobile!
Can I download the game from the mobile? Is there a number?
04-21-2006 at 03:51 PM
Curzon
icon Re: DROD for Mobiles (+2)  
I have uploaded the nokia 128x128 version to my homepage.

If your provider allows this, you can download it from there. (It doesn't work for me currently :| ).
You have to add the following bookmark (in the menu services->bookmarks->options->new bookmark)

http://mypage.bluewin.ch/adensamer/download/MobileDROD_Nokia.jad
(Note: this is a linux server and thus case sensitive)

Then from download it from the Applications menu:
App. services->More boookmarks->DROD [or however you named it]

It should then appear as application or game.

Please, let me know if it worked.

[Last edited by Curzon at 04-21-2006 05:38 PM]
04-21-2006 at 05:36 PM
Dali
I followed the instructions you gave me, but there's a message that says (In french) 'Check your site' when I start downloading the game or application. I'm sure I typed the site correctly, but It's not working. It's certainly because I'm not in Usa.

Thanks anyway :cool .
04-22-2006 at 10:45 AM
Curzon
Dali wrote:
I followed the instructions you gave me, but there's a message that says (In french) 'Check your site' when I start downloading the game or application. I'm sure I typed the site correctly, but It's not working. It's certainly because I'm not in Usa.

That should not be the reason (I am not in the US myself). It is more propable that the services are not available. It says 'Check your IP adress' when I try it this way.
04-22-2006 at 11:04 AM
Andy101
Rank Points: 222
I just get a message saying that:

"The requested item could not be loaded, Wrong MIME-Type"

04-22-2006 at 11:23 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
vittro
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 479
Hey, please, i've a big problem. On my nokia7710 i want to change the movement keys. If you can make a keys configuration menu i will be really happy. If not, you can set to turn sword # and + ?

04-22-2006 at 01:31 PM
Curzon
Andy101 wrote:
"The requested item could not be loaded, Wrong MIME-Type"

I do not fully understand what it means. When dit that happen? When you were downloading the game to your mobile from my page?

vittro wrote:

Hey, please, i've a big problem. On my nokia7710 i want to change the movement keys. If you can make a keys configuration menu i will be really happy. If not, you can set to turn sword # and + ?

I had a look at the phone. Where are the buttons in the first place? I do not really want to make a keys configuration menu, because that would require some more of precious space. I want to keep the file below 64kb to have it available to older phones as well (like mine).
Besides the sword swinging is at # and +. What happens if you press these buttons? Or asked another way: What keys are you hitting to swing the sword?
04-22-2006 at 03:03 PM
Dali
Vittro, you got the game? You're quite lucky :)

That should not be the reason (I am not in the US myself). It is more propable that the services are not available. It says 'Check your IP adress' when I try it this way.

Yeah, it says that too, but in french.

Maybe there's another possibility to put the game in the mobile.
Is it possible to put it in the mobile with a link cable that enters in the PC? It can be a lot easier, instead of download it from a network.

[Last edited by Dali at 04-22-2006 03:23 PM]
04-22-2006 at 03:22 PM
Page 2 of 6
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : DROD for Mobiles
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com