Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Challenges : Optimise this!: KDD2: L8: 2S2E (Let;'s see how low we can go!)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Alneyan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 622
IP: Logged
icon Re: Optimise this!: KDD2: L8: 2S2E (+1)  
I gave a look at my own (meagre) list #1 scores, and found the following (potentially) interesting room: Labyrinthis (JtRH edition), Disorientation, 1S 1E.

Since I have the best demo, I can say with confidence that this room isn't anywhere near optimised, and it seems fairly open-ended (lots of goblins in particular). It also doesn't have any tar, and the hold containing the room isn't particularly long (so it can be reached fairly easily).

Two other #1 scores of mine where I would like some feedback, though they aren't worthwhile for a week-long optimisation contest. Simon's Dungeon, First Level, 3N 1W , where I have a pretty good demo, but I don't know if a couple more moves can be shaved, and JO's First Hold, Entrance Caves, 2 S , so that Rabscuttle, StuartK, Michthro, Wallu and co can explain how in the nine hells I managed to snatch #1 right under their noses (beating their 15 with my 14... which is *very* surprising, of course).

[Last edited by Alneyan at 02-26-2006 04:45 PM]
02-26-2006 at 04:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
michthro
Level: Smitemaestro
Rank Points: 679
icon Re: Optimise this!: KDD2: L8: 2S2E (0)  
Alneyan wrote:
I gave a look at my own (meagre) list #1 scores, and found the following (potentially) interesting room: Labyrinthis (JtRH edition), Disorientation, 1S 1E.
I tried pretty hard with the Labyrinthitis Expanded version of this room (they're identical, I think), but with such an open-ended room there will always be another move or two.
Two other #1 scores of mine where I would like some feedback, though they aren't worthwhile for a week-long optimisation contest. Simon's Dungeon, First Level, 3N 1W , where I have a pretty good demo, but I don't know if a couple more moves can be shaved,
Nifty. This is not a good place to brag, though. Let's see how long it lasts now.. ;)
and JO's First Hold, Entrance Caves, 2 S , so that Rabscuttle, StuartK, Michthro, Wallu and co can explain how in the nine hells I managed to snatch #1 right under their noses (beating their 15 with my 14... which is *very* surprising, of course).
hehehe.. How did we let this happen? I think we were trying too hard to be fancy, when there's a simpler way that saves a move. Isn't it great when you discover something like that? Not that I have anything quite like that. The closest I've come is Dusty Dungeon: L3: 3N2W.
02-26-2006 at 06:05 PM
michthro
StuartK wrote:
Rabscuttle wrote:
urgh.

Saved two, lost one for a net gain of one move. There's maybe one more that could be saved, perhaps :/
Yup, just a little optimisation as you move back towards the orb, allowing Beethro to be facing NW for an additional saving of one move.
Ah, there we go then. Thought it could be done. Any hope of saving another move?
02-26-2006 at 06:11 PM
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
michthro wrote:
Ah, there we go then. Thought it could be done. Any hope of saving another move?
The only place where it could possibly happen, would be by clearing more of the tar on the way to the exit, previous to going for the orb, and Beethro can't clear further north than he already does, or the roaches will be out of position.
02-26-2006 at 06:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Abbyzzmal
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 348
Alneyan wrote:

I have the #1 demo now, and I know that someone can chop off a few moves without changing any of my basic stratagies. At least four or five, maybe as many as ten.

I lost patience.

Edit: After cross-referencing with Labyrinthitis expanded, I see that my score is still, by far, #2. My mistake!

Who was I to think that I could best you masters?

[Last edited by Abbyzzmal at 02-26-2006 10:37 PM]
02-26-2006 at 10:29 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
L16:Ent - 256 is a nice round number :)

Speaking of L16, three apologetic cheers for Swivel for 1S!

As to the next one, how about this? - The person who gets the best score gets to choose the next one, with the condition that the same person can't choose twice in a row.
02-28-2006 at 02:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
KevG
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 333
There's really no practical way of coming up with a community consensus of what room to do next. "Best score chooses next" sounds like the best option. I'd just as soon let people choose twice in a row if somehow the situation arises; but, if that's part of the rules, does that mean the person second on the scoreboard chooses?

Also, we should probably say something about limiting what rooms we can choose from. Personally, I'd like to stick around KDD. It's the dungeon most people are most familiar with, it's reasonable to assume most people have access to all the rooms, and it just seems more satisfying to optimize a classic room then a new one.

However, that's just my opinion. What we do need to do is suggest that people only choose rooms that most people are going to have access to. That means KDD, JTRH, and rooms that can be reached with only a few hours effort. The last is pretty vague, but good judgement should be used. Don't choose a room on the last floor of Malcom, Brock, and Dave.
02-28-2006 at 08:08 AM
michthro
Rabscuttle wrote:
As to the next one, how about this? - The person who gets the best score gets to choose the next one, with the condition that the same person can't choose twice in a row.
Good idea. That would be you, (if we consider L16: Ent a side-issue), so please go ahead.
KevG wrote: What we do need to do is suggest that people only choose rooms that most people are going to have access to. That means KDD, JTRH, and rooms that can be reached with only a few hours effort. The last is pretty vague, but good judgement should be used. Don't choose a room on the last floor of Malcom, Brock, and Dave
I agree, though we could probably add Bavato's Dungeon, Phil's Dungeon, Simon's Dungeon, etc. since people interested in this will probably have played all the major holds. If someone wants to take part but doesn't have access to the room, we could give them a player file, but we should rather try to avoid that.
02-28-2006 at 08:24 AM
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
I agree about ease of getting to - the more people that can play the room the better. Exceptions could be made for interesting rooms of course. And a lot of holds have warp rooms (such as Bavato's)

Anyway, I think I might be selfish and choose one of my own rooms
(because hardly anyone has played it (well, at least since JtRH came out))
02-28-2006 at 09:05 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Challenges : Optimise this!: KDD2: L8: 2S2E (Let;'s see how low we can go!)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com