Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Lagging (A bug on my part.)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Ezlo
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1214
IP: Logged
icon Lagging (0)  
This is a problem on my part, but I couldn't think of any where else to post it. During the day sometime, DROD starts lagging like crazy, it takes about a minute for it to register one move. I've been trying all sorts of options like turning off alpha-blending, and getting rid of the full screen, but it still lags. Any ideas? I want to continue playing!
02-17-2006 at 10:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
agaricus5
Rank Points: 1838
icon Re: Lagging (+1)  
Ezlo wrote:
This is a problem on my part, but I couldn't think of any where else to post it. During the day sometime, DROD starts lagging like crazy, it takes about a minute for it to register one move. I've been trying all sorts of options like turning off alpha-blending, and getting rid of the full screen, but it still lags. Any ideas? I want to continue playing!
Are you running other programs in the background? They may be using up CPU (processing power) and memory on your computer to such an extent that it interferes with DROD.

If you are using Windows, open up the Task Manager and look at the "Processes" pane. Click the "CPU" column to sort the processes in order of how much they use, and go to the bottom to view the highest values. Are there any processes that appear to be using more than 10-20% constantly? If so, this may be the program that is causing the lag, although unless you know what it is, I'd advise not terminating it. Search your computer for the program to see what it is supposed to do (often anything in the Windows folder is essential and shouldn't be terminated for no reason).

You could also go to the "Performance" tab and look at the "Physical Memory" box. How much "Available" memory do you have left (once running DROD)? If it drops below 10-20% of the total (probably around 20-50MB or 20000-50000KB depending on exactly how much you have), this may be causing lagging too.

Also, things like antivirus or firewall software, especially when doing scans, can make almost anything laggy on a computer, so if you have those running, you might want to check what they're doing, and reschedule tasks like scanning for times when you're not playing DROD [Although it is expected that you will find difficulty finding such a DROD-less time :)].

The kind of room you are playing may also cause this. In rooms with over 500 moves, a noticeable lag can develop, although it's constant and proportional to the number of moves. This is especially noticeable with lots of brained monsters and worst of all with brained Seep (just put 200-300 in a room with a brain and you can get DROD to lag very quickly).

02-18-2006 at 10:35 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
icon Re: Lagging (+1)  
Never mind, I had a virus. Gone now. Back to building!
02-19-2006 at 01:10 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Lagging (A bug on my part.)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com