Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Teleportation potion
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Mikko
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 276
IP: Logged
icon Teleportation potion (0)  
This is a fairly simple idea. I was going to post it as part of a list of several feature requests, but I haven't gotten any other worthwile ideas.

Drinking the teleportation potion allows Beethro to move to another square in the current room. Rotation during the move would not be allowed and Beethro could only move to places that a mimic or a decoy could be placed at (with the exception of Beethro's and his sword's old location). Using teleportation potions would require extra caution by the architect as Beethro could otherwise easily end up on the wrong side of a green or blue gate and the exit the room. IMO black would be the best colour for the teleportation potion.
02-10-2006 at 10:33 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Bombadil
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 509
icon Re: Teleportation potion (+2)  
I don't like the idea very much. What does it bring to the game? Teleporting everywhere in the room is just too much.

And to teleport you to a few special squares is not too much [you can do similar things with those... those... pink things (tunnels?) that teleport you in a line to another one].

((WOW! This post must be full of gramatical mistakes.))

[Last edited by Bombadil at 02-11-2006 08:22 AM]
02-11-2006 at 08:21 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Mikko
Rank Points: 276
icon Re: Teleportation potion (0)  
Bombadil wrote:
I don't like the idea very much. What does it bring to the game? Teleporting everywhere in the room is just too much.

It is too much only if the architect lets it be. In a well planned room, the teleportation potion allows for many different kinds of puzzles where Beethro has to teleport to the right place and/or at the right time. Some examples are trap door puzzles, catching a brained roach queen, and an otherwise unreachable area, where you must first drop a coloured gate to create a "landing place".

And to teleport you to a few special squares is not too much [you can do similar things with those... those... pink things (tunnels?) that teleport you in a line to another one].

Except that tunnels can be used more than once, though you could partially prevent this with thapdoors and such, and they always take you to the same place.
02-11-2006 at 11:39 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
b0rsuk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
And why exactly is it a potion ?

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml
02-11-2006 at 12:01 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Because he couldn't think of anything better? I think that given the right room this could be implemented, but it would be hard.
02-11-2006 at 12:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Dali
Rank Points: 174
I think the tunnels are fairly alike. Potions are used only once, and for tunnels an arrow with a trapdoor for example will be the same.
02-11-2006 at 08:05 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Clone potions have similar functionality, except you have to put the warm body somewhere then get killed.

02-12-2006 at 11:07 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Pinnacle
Rank Points: 1129
Mattcrampy wrote:
Clone potions have similar functionality, except you have to put the warm body somewhere then get killed.

So, Matt-- you've just let slip your first TCB spoiler, right?

02-12-2006 at 06:47 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
I think he meant Mimic. But that's just me.
02-12-2006 at 06:51 PM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Actually, that's a "feature-that-didn't-make-it-into-JtRH" spoiler. There's no potion that works the way Matt describes in TCB, either.

02-12-2006 at 07:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: Teleportation potion (+2)  
Actually, Matt let slip something that was a possible new object for 2.0 and we decided not to include it because we were limiting the amount of new things and the objects that weren't fun or intuitive got the first cut. As far as I know, Matt has no access to any 3.0 builds or information, and only knows what was cut from 2.0. And chances are that if something was cut from 2.0 because it wasn't fun, then it wouldn't be in 3.0 without some major changes.

Moral of the story? Always take any 3.0 "spoilers" Cramp gives out with a grain of salt.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
02-12-2006 at 07:18 PM
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5064

File: originalCloneRequest.png (43.1 KB)
Downloaded 80 times.
License: Public Domain
Attached is a screenshot of the original clone potion feature request on the old DROD SourceForge page.

And this is a previous post by Matt C. on the topic. And here is some old forum discussion on features like this.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.

[Last edited by mrimer at 02-13-2006 04:22 PM]
02-12-2006 at 09:22 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
icon Re: Teleportation potion (+1)  
You guys didn't know about clone potions? Oh. Well, they weren't that useful, anyways.

The spoiler brigade is right - I don't have access to 3.0, and I've got no information on gameplay elements that isn't already available. In fact I'd be surprised if anything that I know about from 2.0 that got cut will make it into 3.0. Then again, I don't want to jinx it.

Moral of the story? Always take any 3.0 "spoilers" Cramp gives out with a grain of salt.

Actual moral of the story? Stop assuming that Cramp is giving out 3.0 spoilers. I only know story spoilers, and you can bet your last dollar that I won't be spoiling those.

02-13-2006 at 03:43 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Teleportation potion
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com