Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Monster Idea
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Korgath
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 23
IP: Logged
icon Monster Idea (0)  
How about a goblin queen? Like the roach queen but makes goblins. I think it should be more aggressive though, like, run away until you are near, then it would dodge the sword and go for the kill like normal goblins do. What do u guys think?
02-20-2003 at 05:40 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
krammer
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 904
icon Re: Monster Idea (0)  
Korgath wrote:
How about a goblin queen? Like the roach queen but makes goblins.

I like it. Very like the current DROD elements but different enough to make new puzzles from. Unfortunately I can see the potential for lots of almost impossible rooms where you have goblins approaching you from all directions... *shudders*

I think it should be more aggressive though, like, run away until you are near, then it would dodge the sword and go for the kill like normal goblins do.

If you are going to have queen goblins then I would rather they weren\'t aggressive at all, seeing as more than one goblin is tricky enough to handle in any case...

"Oook!"
02-20-2003 at 01:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
The problem with the goblin queen is that there will be very few rooms in which it will be possible to put it - basically, with goblins, either there will be no way to handle a group, and you\'ll have to get the queen before she spawns more than once, especially if she can also kill you; or, alternatively, if there\'s a good safe goblin trap, it won\'t matter how many goblins there are so you won\'t care. So, while a cool concept in general, I\'m not sure it will add much to the game (though I may be wrong).

02-20-2003 at 01:28 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Rank Points: 1721
Maybe if it only makes one goblin per cycle. It could be a \"pregnant goblin\" that lays an egg every cycle, and it grows in 3 turns. That way there won\'t be too many too deal with (a possible 8!) and the idea would still maintain its original concept. I like the attacking bit too.

02-20-2003 at 02:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Re: Monster Idea (0)  
zex20913 wrote:
Maybe if it only makes one goblin per cycle. It could be a \"pregnant goblin\" that lays an egg every cycle, and it grows in 3 turns. That way there won\'t be too many too deal with (a possible 8!) and the idea would still maintain its original concept. I like the attacking bit too.
I agree with this. And there are ways to offset the increased difficulty of this monster with the new game elements that are being added in (like the speed potion) that will allow for more flexible puzzle-making.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
02-20-2003 at 07:53 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
eytanz
Good points, all.

But I don\'t think that it should be a \"goblin queen\" (since we already have a qeen), nor a \"pregnant goblin\" (since I\'d be a bit squeamish about killing pregnant humanoids). Maybe a \"goblin sorceror\" which can summon other goblins, or something?

02-20-2003 at 11:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
zex20913
Why would a sorceror flee? Seems like they would attack to me.

02-21-2003 at 12:15 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Goblin summoner, then?

02-21-2003 at 01:12 AM
zex20913
Sounds good. Summoners are kinda frail.

02-21-2003 at 05:06 AM
Korgath
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 23
Thanks for the feedback, I like your ideas. One at a time thing sounds very reasonable. I still like the summoner, queen, pregnant goblin, to attack though.

Maybe a different enemy that makes stuff runs and attacks?
02-21-2003 at 09:31 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5056
icon Re: Re: Monster Idea (0)  
Korgath wrote:
Thanks for the feedback, I like your ideas. One at a time thing sounds very reasonable. I still like the summoner, queen, pregnant goblin, to attack though.

Maybe a different enemy that makes stuff runs and attacks?
I think the reason for it running is so that it gets a chance to make more of whatever it\'s making. If it attacks right off, then it\'ll never get a chance to spawn much of anything. We could add a twist to the flee/attack behavior: how about it flees normally, but then will turn and attack when cornered? Say, when Beethro is within 5 squares and the creature can\'t back away any more?

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
02-21-2003 at 03:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Malarame
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 220
To avoid having way too many goblins than you can deal with, you\'d have to kill it pretty quickly. That\'s one thing you\'ll have to consider when designing rooms for it. In other words, don\'t leave it in a place that\'s inaccesible until you spend a couple hundred moves clearing out the rest of the room.

"I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception."
-Groucho Marx
02-22-2003 at 04:13 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Monster Idea
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com