Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Can't upgrade from 1.5
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
krammer
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 904
IP: Logged
icon Can't upgrade from 1.5 (0)  
Yeah, you may be amazed I need that, but my export files have all been corrupted and the nice little alteration you can make to drod.ini has gone. Can I take this to mean that upgrades from 1.5 to 1.6 are no longer possible?

This is not good, because any player who has played 1.5 but doesn't want to get involoverd in the beta process will be stuck when the release comes out.

Anyway, I think I'll leave Dugan's for this release...

"Oook!"
07-14-2003 at 09:28 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Scott
Rank Points: 578
icon Re: Can't upgrade from 1.5 (0)  
I upgraded on version 28 with no problems. As usual for me I wiped the old 27 directory and started fresh.
07-14-2003 at 03:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
krammer
How?

I did a clean install in a new directory and just got the option to create a new player or import a previously exported file.

I didn't get the upgrade data screen at all.

"Oook!"
07-14-2003 at 03:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
I've had the same problem - but then again, I'm just installing over the top all the time and keeping the upgrade files.

Matt

07-14-2003 at 09:40 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
krammer wrote:
Yeah, you may be amazed I need that, but my export files have all been corrupted and the nice little alteration you can make to drod.ini has gone. Can I take this to mean that upgrades from 1.5 to 1.6 are no longer possible?

This is not good, because any player who has played 1.5 but doesn't want to get involoverd in the beta process will be stuck when the release comes out.

Anyway, I think I'll leave Dugan's for this release...
I believe it's due to a mistake I made while putting the build together. The DROD.INI that got installed has information specific to my installation in it. Just wait for build 29 (tonight probably) and you'll be able to import 1.5 data.

-Erik

07-15-2003 at 01:39 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
krammer
icon Re: Re: Can't upgrade from 1.5 (0)  
ErikH2000 wrote:
I believe it's due to a mistake I made while putting the build together. The DROD.INI that got installed has information specific to my installation in it. Just wait for build 29 (tonight probably) and you'll be able to import 1.5 data.

-Erik
Ahem - Build 30 once again has no facility for this. And having got no saved games anywhere other than 1.5 - seriously - I am really desperate to be able to upgrade from 1.5. Please, could this be re-included in build 31?

"Oook!"
07-20-2003 at 12:36 PM
ErikH2000
icon Re: Re: Re: Can't upgrade from 1.5 (0)  
krammer wrote:
Ahem - Build 30 once again has no facility for this. And having got no saved games anywhere other than 1.5 - seriously - I am really desperate to be able to upgrade from 1.5. Please, could this be re-included in build 31?
I don't know what the problem is, so I guess we should troubleshoot it.

If you run the full build 30 DROD install, does it attempt to upgrade from 1.5 data when you run build 30 DROD for the first time?

If not, open the "drod.ini" from the "data" directory of your build 30 install. Look for a section like this:

[setup]
ImportPath=c:\\program files\\drod
Status=ready

Tell me if there is/isn't a section like this and we'll continue troubleshooting from there.

-Erik

07-20-2003 at 07:00 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
krammer
It never asked me, even though it was a clean install with no other installations on the machine. I know about the modification of the drod.ini file - I sorted it by changing that once before - but in the past couple of builds all that file contains is the "songs" and "waves" sections.

"Oook!"
07-20-2003 at 07:21 PM
ErikH2000
krammer wrote:
It never asked me, even though it was a clean install with no other installations on the machine. I know about the modification of the drod.ini file - I sorted it by changing that once before - but in the past couple of builds all that file contains is the "songs" and "waves" sections.
Well, we should be able to fix this.

Do you know how to look at registry entries? If not, no problem--I will provide more detailed instructions. See what is present under HKEY_LOCALMACHINE\\Software\\Caravel\\DROD\\1_5. There should be a "Location" key that describes where DROD 1.5 is installed. Once you have this path, verify that it actually exists and a drod1_5.dat is present.

Basically, the DROD:AE full install looks for the above registry key and if it finds it and a drod1_5.dat file is present, it writes instructions in the drod.ini file to handle the import.

The above will help to troubleshoot why a data upgrade doesn't occur when you run DROD. Now, to simply get your 1.5 data imported, the following should work:

1. Find the location of the drod1_5.dat file. It will be where DROD 1.5 was originally installed.
2. Open up DROD.INI in the build 30 installation and create a new section.

[setup]
ImportPath=c:\\PathFromStepOneAbove
Status=ready

Note that ImportPath does not specify a file--just the directory containing drod1_5.dat.

3. Run DROD *after* an install has been completed. The 1.5 upgrade prompt should come up.

I think, probably, maybe, that should get it to go.

-Erik

07-21-2003 at 03:14 AM
krammer
Yah, that's it - I renamed the drod directory to drod1.5 a while ago so I wouldn't get confused about which version was where during the beta - so the registry hadn't altered to reflect that.

Only way I could solve it was to change the name of the directory back. And I can't understand why I didn't think of that before...
:twak

Stupid me.

"Oook!"
07-21-2003 at 10:36 AM
ErikH2000
krammer wrote:
Yah, that's it - I renamed the drod directory to drod1.5 a while ago so I wouldn't get confused about which version was where during the beta - so the registry hadn't altered to reflect that.
Heh, no problem. I'm glad we figured it out!

-Erik

07-22-2003 at 02:27 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Can't upgrade from 1.5
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com