Announcement: Why not try our official idea generator for inspiration when making puzzles?

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Archeology (My new hold)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
egg egg
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 64
IP: Logged

File: Archeology.hold (11.6 KB)
Downloaded 111 times.
License: Public Domain
icon Archeology (+2)  
Hi everyone, i'm Egg Egg, you may remember me from my previous holds. I thought not. Anyway, I havn't had anything to do with drod for ages, but i'm back, and hoping to do a lot of architecting. Attatched is a sample of a hold i will hopefully make, kind of based on lots of things, such as indianna jones style archeology, the prince of persia, and bitter rivalry.

Anyway, tell me what you think, i am not too convinced about some of the scripting, the editor seems to lack some commands that would be usefull, so it's a bit buggy.

I hope you like it, please post any comments, ideas or bugs back here. Enjoy.
01-03-2006 at 01:17 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Schik
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5383
icon Re: Archeology (+1)  
It's a very short sample, but I like most of it so far.

The guard scripting was good in that it was mostly predictable what would happen, except for in the God room.

In 1N2E, there's that door that closes after a certain number of turns. It just so happened that it closed for me 2 or 3 times in a row when I stepped a couple rows away from the door, and it had me thinking it was based on my location. It might be nice to have Beethro say something implying "I better hurry" when he hits the orb that opens that door.

The God room was... odd. I'm curious to see how the big full version will be. I hope it's not TOO random and unpredictable.

All in all, it's so far a very short but promising hold.

01-03-2006 at 01:37 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores Quote Reply
Tahnan
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2459
I'll agree--I rather liked it so far. I would say that:

(a) I was sorry to get trapped in 3N2E--i.e., unable to go back--simply because I hadn't yet gone through 2N. There's no need to go through 2N; I was just sorry I'd missed it, especially when I restored and saw that it foreshadowed the exit. Not that I see an obvious way to stop someone from skipping it.

(b) 1N2E might be better marked as not required, unless there is some way to kill the snakes that I didn't see.

(c) I have to admit I was quite confused by the "god room"; with all those orbs on the left, and with my steps seeming to close or open the top orb, it took me a while to even realize what my task was.

Looking forward to the rest!
01-03-2006 at 05:54 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
egg egg
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 64
I will make a full hold, which will hopefully solve these problems.

There is an odd thing with experienced players that would make them go throught the 'secret' wall, instead of going to 2 north,because they would spot it first time, and think it wasn't the main route.

This won't matter in the real hold, becasue I will use a different level layout.

I just wanted to know if you liked the style and basis of my ideas.

I apologise profusely for the boss, i was just experimenting to see what could be done with the scripting. It seems not as much as i would like. The glorious, 7 stage boss i had planned was sadly lost in production.

The whole thing with the gates was meant to be his lives or something, but i ended up having to use them for interaction between characters. sorry if it seems confusing, check out the scripting if you can understand it.
01-03-2006 at 08:18 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Architecture : Archeology (My new hold)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com