Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Toscana Mod (a graphics mod for DROD 2.0)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
leroy00
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 155
IP: Logged

File: Toscana_Mod_v0.6.zip (324 KB)
Downloaded 177 times.
License: Other
icon Toscana Mod (+6)  
As an early Christmas present for all DRODiacs, I am releasing a new graphic mod for DROD 2.0, known as Toscana. The theme is the architechture of the region of Toscany in Italy, inspired by some pictures I took there on my honeymoon oh-so-many years ago. Looking at the black-and-white marble style (look here, here and here [somewhat large] for examples), it occured to me that there is no high-contrast tile set for DROD 2.0. A little experimenting with a black and white floor style led me to believe that would be too stark for long-term playing (although I really don't expect anyone to actually play using this graphic mod much), so I toned it down a bit.

Working on this mod gave me an impression of how damned hard it is to design good obstacles, give decent detail in 44x44 pixels, and create a 3D feeling without destroying the top-down view. Kudos to Erik for doing such a good job at that in the original graphics.

A few notes on the mod:

I did my best to have an internally coherent set of tiles, but I had some problems with seam matching, especially where pit floor and pit side meet, since there are several possibilites for that.

The mod is unfinished, as denoted by its version number. I ran out of ideas for obstacles (and while playing with combinations of my tile set and the original DROD 2.0 graphics, I discovered that the built-in graphics do not use all possibilities, either). I may add more if I had any attacks of sudden inspiration or if someone suggests something. I am pretty much overbooked for the next 9 - 12 months, though, which is one reason why I am releasing it now and unfinished. I have also done almost no shadows, which probably detracts from the quality of the bstacles, but it was just too much work for now.

My artistic skills are absolutely zero. The obstacles were all created and rendered using blender (thanks here to vylycyn for suggesting it and giving me some start-up help), which gives them a much more realistic feel than Erik's hand-drawn graphics. I am not happy about that, but it was the closest I could get to being able to draw. Because the obstacles are somewhere between bad and worse, I am including a second .tim file which uses only the non-obstacle graphics and allows you to retain all original obstacles.

I highly recommend your substituting this for Style2, since the colour scheme used matches up with this style the best.

I spent a lot of time on this, a lot more than intended, but that is more a testimony to my lack of mad grafiks skillz than to the style's thoroughness or quality. Therefore, I would be interested in your suggestions for improvement or critique. The amount of motivation to change the style under constrained time conditions will be greatly influenced by the quality of the suggestions.

This style is based on vylycyn's Sanctum2 Style, which makes it a grandchild of the infamous Flaming Peligroso, and on AlefBet's Style1Tiles.tim. Thanks to vylycyn and AlefBet for their own work.

To install, unpack the file in your DROD2.0/data/bitmaps/ directory and follow the instructions in readme.txt. If you find any errors or omissions, please let me know.

Please use these graphics for DROD-related purposes only. Keep out of the reach of small children. Stay off the grass. Thanks. I hope you enjoy it.

-leroy

12-21-2005 at 01:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1308
icon Re: Toscana Mod (0)  
Excellent, except for one tiny thing.

PLEEEEAAAASE give a small chart describing the tilesheet (or a zipfile of AlefBets DumbMod) as my computer is entirely incapable of handling .rars
12-22-2005 at 02:36 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
coppro
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1308
One small comment also. The slightly-cracked wall ought not to be distinguishable from the wall around it.
12-26-2005 at 10:05 PM
View Profile Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Saqqara
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 77
Excellent addition to the few styles for 2.0, leroy. I'll add it to the 132nd Archivist Website as soon as I get my regular computer back.
01-01-2006 at 11:37 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
leroy00
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 155
coppro wrote:
Excellent, except for one tiny thing.

PLEEEEAAAASE give a small chart describing the tilesheet (or a zipfile of AlefBets DumbMod) as my computer is entirely incapable of handling .rars
I am not really sure what your request is. Check out this thread and this thread. Maybe they contain what you are looking for. If you are asking for a pane-by-pane description of the individual tiles of the StylenTiles.png files, no such thing exists, but you don't need to know that to use the graphic mod. Just follow the instructions in readme.txt. Hope that helps.

-leroy

[Last edited by leroy00 at 01-02-2006 10:51 AM]
01-02-2006 at 10:51 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Saqqara
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 77
icon Re: Toscana Mod (+1)  
Finally got around to updating the 132nd Archivist website to include your style leroy.
01-17-2006 at 02:41 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Development : Toscana Mod (a graphics mod for DROD 2.0)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com