Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Speed Arrows
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Mister
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 104
IP: Logged
icon Speed Arrows (0)  
The idea is an arrow that acts like a current: you step on it, you automagically move in the arrow's direction. If another arrow is there, you move again, and so on (unless the tile is occupied by another monster, or is unpassable).

The Speed Arrow affects both Beethro and monsters, with the exception of Serpents (and aerial monsters, maybe).

With this arrow, Beethro can effectively move more than once per turn (although you only control the first movement). The typical question is: can he kill more than one monster? I leave that to your discretion.

But there is an important issue remaining: loops. What if Beethro or a monster steps in a Speed Arrow cycle? My answer: it goes through all the cycle infinite times, gaining more and more speed, and ultimately disintegrating (that is, instant death).

This can lead to some puzzles, such as a room with two chambers, joined by a passage two tiles wide. But that passage has a pair of Speed Arrows, one leading to the other, so whoever steps on any of them dies tragically. The solution? Step in the passage alongside with a mimic.

07-11-2003 at 05:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
krammer
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 904
icon Re: Speed Arrows (0)  
This has already been posted somehwere, by zex I think, as conveyor belts.

"Oook!"
07-11-2003 at 06:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
billbuckner
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 57
icon Re: Speed Arrows (0)  
Mister wrote:

This can lead to some puzzles, such as a room with two chambers, joined by a passage two tiles wide. But that passage has a pair of Speed Arrows, one leading to the other, so whoever steps on any of them dies tragically. The solution? Step in the passage alongside with a mimic.

Wouldn't they just get crushed into each other?
07-11-2003 at 08:33 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Speed Arrows
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No