Announcement: To see an overview of all the holds in this forum, see this page. You cannot directly add your hold by attaching it here - you must get your hold approved by Hold Administrators. Check this thread for details.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : war6 (sequel)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Your Rating
Average User Rating
Difficulty:
Overall:

6.4/10 (14 votes)
σ 2.64
Author Name:khaim
Submitted By:khaim100
Hold Name:war6
Theme:sequel
Author's Difficulty:
Number of Levels:1
Number of Rooms:12
Number of Monsters:2235
Version:DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold
High Scores:View High Scores
Hold Karma:2 (+2 / -0)
Poster Message
admin
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 8
IP: Logged

File: war6.hold (69 KB)
Downloaded 1310 times.
License: Other
icon war6  
unleash the power
12-01-2005 at 02:04 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1978
icon Re: war6 (+1)  
Hmm... I'm not 100% sure the combination of 2e and 2e1s are possible this time. If I'm correct, this ends your streak.

12-01-2005 at 04:22 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Andy101
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 222
icon Re: war6 (0)  
I can confirm that 2e and 2e 1s are both beatable.

12-01-2005 at 09:49 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
khaim100
Rank Points: 122
the entrance is also beatable without ever leaving the room to
come back from the side. this is just a challenge. :-O :~( -_-
12-01-2005 at 11:19 AM
MeckMeck GRE
Rank Points: 594
icon The whole war series.... (0)  
Hmm... war. I hate real war. I like war in BF2. But in Drod I dont know it exactly. On the one hand, the war series hold werent just pure stupid Hack & Slash, but on the other hand they looked like a small package of rooms filled with monsters and some bombs. Additional you get some profan scrolls and captions/themes that are either profan or sound like military parols. Sometimes there is a room like the entrance of war 5 that I liked, often I was just annoyed by the rooms. It isnt the challenge whats missing. You need a good technique to get the hordes under controll, but there is almost no effort and love in the rooms. :angry After a few rooms you have enough. Therefore I think that those war holds are quite bad ones.

However war 4 was a rather good one and this one also seems to be quite nice one. :)
12-01-2005 at 07:12 PM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
He needs to make all his War holds into 1 collection at some point.
12-02-2005 at 02:33 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Why? Republishing existing holds as collection just causes hassle and has very little benefit.

12-02-2005 at 05:08 AM
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
Agreed. It is quite annoying highscore-wise because it is considered a separate hold, and so people have to solve them all over again to stay competitive. And there's no way to transfer the scores, so it's unfair to delete all the original holds. It's best not to consolidate now that we have high scores.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
12-02-2005 at 05:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Birkoff
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 62
collecting a series of hold into one does not mean that the originals have to be deleted, an having them as a collection will also let you see hwo is the best overall...

PS. But is not me :~(

"A hero is no braver than an
ordinary man, but he is brave five
minutes longer."
Ralph Waldo Emerson

[Last edited by Birkoff at 12-02-2005 08:34 AM]
12-02-2005 at 08:33 AM
Alneyan
Rank Points: 622
That was Oneiromancer's second point: if you create another hold including already-existing holds, you will have two versions of the same hold around, meaning two lists of high scores. Both lists wouldn't be identical either, so you would have a pretty confused situation.

Some of the holds suffering from this are Eytanz's Tumb (released well before high scores appeared) and HIJK, a compilation of Happy House, Impossible Cubes, the previous unreleased Jigsaw Feeling, and Killing Jar, which also improved all the holds somewhat. Creating a hold including already-existing holds might be worthwhile, if it involves some other improvements, but I fail to see the point otherwise.

If you wish to compare performances between all six war holds, I suppose you can always do the maths yourselves (which would be faster than copying and pasting all holds into one); the War holds are also not exactly the most played out there, so I doubt high scores will reflect much. On the other hand, if the War holds were heavily contested score-wise, creating a new high score list for the same rooms would be even more problematic: the more players have done a hold, the more important the discrepancies between the two high scores lists will be.
12-02-2005 at 12:23 PM
larrymurk
Rank Points: 1908
I enjoyed this hold.

If you don't like dealing with hordes of monsters you probably should skip this. Also, most of the rooms are much easier using some strategy along with some trial and error so I'd say this is geared toward advanced players. Some custom images and sounds are thrown in which I like.

Thumbs up from me.
12-03-2005 at 01:52 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
What stumped me on the "die hard" room was the fact that if you enter the room on one of the scripted characters, there's no way to beat it. I entered a few times before I even realized that there were two mimic characters. That's what slapdashery will do for you.

I suggest forcing a particular entry point into that room with force arrows.

12-03-2005 at 02:00 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Well, I just did..all six war holds in one sitting.

It's terrifying how he'll just throw in a tiny little puzzle element to throw you off once you're used to hack and slash.
12-03-2005 at 02:29 AM
khaim100
Rank Points: 122
icon Re: war6 (+2)  
i wrote a platform game 'DiamondRush' and put it here or
here if you want to see
12-03-2005 at 06:39 AM
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
FYI, the entrance room was affected by a behavior change a while back and most of the demos (including the top 3) were corrupted. I had the spider get rid of them, so if you played this room once, you should play it again to get a highscore.

08-19-2006 at 04:24 PM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Holds : war6 (sequel) Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com