Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : DS vs. PSP (The two big portables)
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
IP: Logged
icon Re: DS vs. PSP (0)  
There's also a fair few references shared between Vice City and GTA3.
Click here to view the secret text

02-09-2006 at 08:10 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chalks
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 267
incidently, last I checked the original GTA is available for download at rockstargames.com

that's kinda off topic though.
02-10-2006 at 04:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
It's was just a matter of time...

Voice Chat on the DS

Metroid Prime Hunters is going to have Voice Chat while in the before and after play lobbies. Too bad it isn't in-game, but this is a major step forward. Hopefully it will be better than the voice quality in Nintendogs. :lol
02-10-2006 at 03:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
Wow...looks like this is going to be an interesting week for the two consoles. Just look at some of the latest headlines for each:

PSP:
Jazz Jackrabbit Port.
Dog Simulator on the Way.

Whereas the DS has:

DS to get a Media Player + 4GB HDD.
Nintendo Considers Web Browser.

Well, the DS' look much more useful, but I'm sure Sony will come up with something to combat the DS Lite along with the implementations of features in the PSP.

02-14-2006 at 09:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
Mattcrampy wrote:
There's also a fair few references shared between Vice City and GTA3.

Why the deuce was this modded down?
02-14-2006 at 11:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
NiroZ
Rank Points: 1302
Mattcrampy wrote:
Advance Wars: Dual Strike? I heard that's good.

I think that Nintendo's greatest strength was that they didn't try to force developers to use the 3D, so the bar to entry is a lot lower. This is why you're seeing Pheonix Wright on the DS and not on the PSP, for instance - I understand Sony isn't looking for a repeat of the PSX where its most critically acclaimed game was a 2D game.

Of course, there will be Katamari on the PSP, but honestly, the system's looking a bit bleak. There aren't as many exciting games for the PSP, and the DS has a varied selection.

When, you know, Nintendo bothers to advertise it. Nintendo Australia sucks.

too bloody true, nintendo really need to pick up there act here.

please excuse me for my lack of knowledge, but which game on the psx was a critically acclaimed 2d game?
Click here to view the secret text

[Last edited by NiroZ at 05-29-2007 11:29 AM]
02-15-2006 at 08:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: DS vs. PSP (+1)  
NiroZ wrote:
please excuse me for my lack of knowledge, but which game on the psx was a critically acclaimed 2d game?
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, I am willing to bet. And I certainly agree with that; it was a very good game. So good that they made 3 just like it on the GBA, and another one on the DS...of varying quality, but generally all worth playing. I did finally beat the DS Castlevania...it got much better after the first third, especially some of the bosses were very innovative and fun to play against.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
02-15-2006 at 03:48 PM
Ezlo
Did you finish the game? Or did you REALLY beat it?
02-15-2006 at 04:25 PM
Oneiromancer
I beat the final boss in the Abyss, if that's what you're asking. On the first try, too...I thought he was a lot easier than many of the others in the game. (I did use every single potion I had left, and even ate some of the spoiled food with the Ghoul soul, but it was still on the first try. ;) )

So yes, I've seen all 3 endings.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
02-15-2006 at 04:38 PM
Ezlo
So, have you tried the unlockable Julius version yet? That one's fun. Especially the last boss. First game I've seen that an unlockable version has an actual plot and a different final boss.
02-15-2006 at 06:54 PM
Oneiromancer
Ah, no, I haven't completed Julius mode yet. From playing the other Castlevania games, usually those extra modes are identical except with different boss fight strategies. That's pretty cool that things get so different...I did think that it was neat that they let you switch between different characters like the original Castlevania III. I was pretty much just waiting for a while before trying Julius mode because I wanted to play something else (I'm about 3/4 done with Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga now, I think).

Game on,

02-15-2006 at 07:00 PM
Oneiromancer
Looks like Patrick's signature will finally change:

http://www.opera.com/pressreleases/en/2006/02/15/

Game on,

02-15-2006 at 07:30 PM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
:whistle

02-15-2006 at 09:38 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Bah. I sure hope the PSP comes down in price soon, because now there is one game that I really want to get if it doesn't come out on another system: Ultimate Ghosts 'n Goblins.

Mega Man Powered Up, which is half Mega Man 1 remake, half all-new content, could be cool, except that the graphics just rub me the wrong way. I can probably get past it, similar to Wind Waker, if the gameplay is good, but I don't know why they went so cutesy with that. I do like how he looks like each of the boss robots when he uses their abilities, at least.

You know, I'm actually rather surprised that they never made a Mega Man game similar to Super Metroid, with exploration and areas only opening up if you had certain boss robot abilities. Perhaps they did that with the Battle Network games, but the just never drew my attention. Am I missing something, anyone?

Game on,

02-18-2006 at 08:21 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Capcom, come up with new gameplay ideas? Are you for serious?

The Battle Network games are just straight RPGs.

02-19-2006 at 03:45 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Ezlo wrote:
Mario and Luigi 2: Partners in Time
The original was better. It had better jokes, it was longer, it was harder, it had Fawful as a satring role. Rent it, don't buy it. I finished it in about 8 hours. The original took me 23.
I just finished Partners in Time today. It took me 17 hours. I just checked on my Superstar Saga time, and it was 15 hours. I don't know how you were able to do the sequel in less than half the time as me...I suppose you could have run past most of the fights and then survived the boss battles by using the Bros. items, which I admit I did at the very end. I agree that the first one was better, and had more optional extras (which is perhaps why it took you half again as long as me), but I think the sequel is definitely a good game. The fact that there was exactly one instance of using the stylus was a bit odd, though.

Game on,

03-25-2006 at 10:32 PM
Ezlo
I never ran from a battle once! That's odd. Maybe I should concider speedrunning the game. Did you find Fawful? You had to of, it's almost immpossible not too. There's one reason I won so quickly, I abuse the badge the doubles attack and damage taken. I'm good enough at dodging for it not to make too much of a difference.

I just bought Metroid Prime: Hunters. Anyone else have it? I don't have the wifi adapter yet, but I plan on getting it soon.
03-26-2006 at 03:07 AM
Oneiromancer
Yeah, I found Fawful, but I never bother using those double damage badges. I'm probably almost 3 times older than you are, my reflexes aren't as good anymore. ;)

I picked up both Tetris DS and Metroid Prime Hunters today (along with several cheap used PS2 and GC games), but I've only had a chance to browse through Tetris so far. But I am definitely planning on doing Metroid next.

Game on,

03-26-2006 at 03:58 AM
Ezlo
The multiplayer in Metroid Ptime is what is really worth it in the game. The single player is fun, but it really isn't a Metroid game. The only type of power-ups you collect increase your ammo or health, or are new guns. But no cool stuff like the X-ray visor, or the Grapple Beam, or Spider Ball, or any new stuff! I was a bit disappointed. The only plus is that it's really hard. I usually find Metroid too easy.
03-26-2006 at 12:58 PM
Page 2 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : DS vs. PSP (The two big portables)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com