Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : DS vs. PSP (The two big portables)
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
NekoIncardine
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 127
IP: Logged
icon DS vs. PSP (0)  
Sadly, neither portable has DROD, and with their screen resolutions, it is unlikely we could get a decent DROD version for either. :(

Still, both systems have their advantages and disadvantages. Which, if either, do you have?

I am a DS owner and fan (Meteos is love), so I find this quote by djparanoia, Head Admin at Bemanistyle and Gamestop employee.

And on a short sidenote: Gamestop reported that the DS sold DOUBLE THE AMOUNT of PSPs this past weekend (the big sales weekend) companywide despite the fact that they wanted us as employees to push it on people as a replacement for the 360. Since this occurance, the company wants us to push the DS instead. Just thought that was kind of funny :p

11-29-2005 at 10:30 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Oneiromancer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2936
icon Re: DS vs. PSP (0)  
I thought there was another thread for this. Ah well. I am hoping to get the DS this holiday season, either as a gift from all my family combined or as a present to myself. There are just too many games that are must-haves for it now for me not to get it, especially with the Mario Kart DS bundle. And I am definitely looking forward to new Zelda, Mario (platform), and Metroid games for the platform.

The PSP does catch my eye, but there just aren't enough games for it yet that I can't do without. I definitely want GTA: Liberty City Stories, but that's not worth a $300 price tag. If the price goes down in the future, or more must-have games come out, and when I finally get a decent-paying job, I will pick it up.

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-29-2005 at 10:35 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2388
I remember a thread where we all declared that the DS was gimmicky and it wouldn't last very long. I don't know about you guys, but my words were delicious.

I'll probably spring for one just as soon as I get around to buying that PS2 I still haven't bought. I've got too many unfinished games as it is, so I'm probably good.

11-30-2005 at 10:33 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skinsmen
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 26
Hmm... Sounds like a GOOGLE FIGHT! :D

Looks like PSP is winning though... Personally I'm not one to judge a system by the company that makes it but I'm not really sure about a PSP. I for one have a DS and I love it.
The PSP is in my opinion, too expensive and the overall shape and weight make it too bulky for my taste. Any good games for it? Apparently there are good DS games to come but they are to be released as yet.

http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=Nintendo+Dual+Screen&word2=Playstation+Portable

NekoIncardine wrote:
I am a DS owner and fan (Meteos is love

Yes Meteos is quite fun. :)
11-30-2005 at 09:09 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chalks
Rank Points: 267
/me loves the psp. by far.

/me disses the ds.
11-30-2005 at 11:07 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
I haven't got and won't get either PSP or DS, but for you PSP people, I suggest you try Gripshift. Made by a New Zealand company :D. It may look like a racing game, but its really more of a puzzle game, so it may just suit DROD players.

Website is http://gripshiftgame.com. Some great reviews in the forums too. It sounds great, so I'm hoping in the future it will come to PS2 so I can play it :(

/end plug

[Last edited by TripleM at 11-30-2005 11:18 PM]
11-30-2005 at 11:16 PM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
skinsmen wrote:
Hmm... Sounds like a GOOGLE FIGHT! :D

Looks like PSP is winning though...
Not if you replace "Dual Screen" with "DS" .. Then again, if you replace "Playstation Portable" with PSP, the PSP wins again. Of course, that leads us to strip away Nintendo, and wahey, DS wins once more! Woo, what scientific results.

- Gerry
12-01-2005 at 12:50 AM
NekoIncardine
There's a good reason the DS is outselling the PSP.

I only account for EXCLUSIVE games with this count, BTW.
(Burnout Legends is a damn good game, but it's on DS and PSP and is a port of a PS2/GC/X-Box game, so it doesn't count, for example. Guilty Gear X2#Reload for PSP - import-only - is a port of the PS2 - import-only - version, so it doesn't count either. Same with Darkstalkers (which isn't even that good).)

Good PSP games (and yes, I've played all of these and a few I didn't like):
* Wipeout Pure - which Sony has promptly whored out, with Coca-cola promo versions and a miniature version that comes on the UMD of Stealth.
* Metal Gear Ac!d (If DROD were a card game, it'd be a lot like Metal Gear Ac!d.)
* Gripshift
* Bleach (If you can find it in the US or are willing to pay to import)

Good DS games:
* Pheonix Wright: Ace Attorney
* Super Mario 64 DS
* Polarium
* Puyo Pop Fever
* Meteos (I don't care if you're not into falling-block puzzlers, this game is the ultimate must-get for the DS)
* Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
* Feel The Magic xy/xx
* Jump Superstars (If you can find itin the US or are willing to pay to import)
* Kirby Canvas Curse
* ... Can't... say it... It's the one with the puppies... :~(

If people would like to append games to the PSP or DS list, please do. These represent my opinion of the system.

Three things I really would like to see for the PSP, to be fair:
1) A better puzzler than Lumines. Everyone who has a PSP seems to rant about how awesome it is, but it's really not that good compared to the DS's selection. Don't even get me started on the multiplayer mode.
2) The original three Crash Bandicoot games and Crash Team Racing. No graphical updates, minimal changes to account for the control switch. Just pure Crash back when he was still fun.
3) More PS1 games ported to the PSP in general. Namco is bringing Xenosaga Episodes I and II to the DS, why can't Square bring Xenogears - wait, bad idea. I do NOT want to see Xenogears outside the hands of Monolith Software now that I think about it. FF7, the original FF7 maybe?

12-01-2005 at 01:39 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Chalks
NekoIncardine wrote:
(If DROD were a card game, it'd be a lot like Metal Gear Ac!d.)

I suddenly began to wonder how we could market the new card game DROD.

Dungeons and ... Budkin?
instead of a dungeon master... A Smitemaster

races include... roaches, tarbabies, wraithwings, well you know.

soon we get a television show: Beethro slowly sneeks up on the roach. Suddenly, It turns around with ferocious jaws gaping wildly (and yet still frighteningly).

then, many people will condemn DROD RPG, and claim that it is possessed by demons and encourages witchcraft. They will then burn every copy of Dungeons and Budkin they can find.

maybe this isn't a good idea. :unsure
12-01-2005 at 04:20 AM
gamer_extreme_101
Rank Points: 1939
First of all, it's not the Nintendo Dual-Screen. it's the Nintendo Developer's System. Hence why it isn't replacing the GBA - it's simply a side system for now until stated otherwise. Beside, dual-screens are just one of three-four other major cool features in it.

Secondly, while the DS didn't have any good games at launch, by the end of the year it'll be peeing with the tall dogs, so to speak. With the introduction of Mario Kart DS two weeks ago, the Mario & Luigi RPG that was just released (And that I'm playing as of typing this, Animal Crossing which is due next week, and the introduction of online DS play that has already been used by over 45% of the people who bought Mario Kart DS, the DS can and will be a strong gaming power. No one can deny that. Not even the fuzzy in my avatar.

12-01-2005 at 05:02 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Mattcrampy
Advance Wars: Dual Strike? I heard that's good.

I think that Nintendo's greatest strength was that they didn't try to force developers to use the 3D, so the bar to entry is a lot lower. This is why you're seeing Pheonix Wright on the DS and not on the PSP, for instance - I understand Sony isn't looking for a repeat of the PSX where its most critically acclaimed game was a 2D game.

Of course, there will be Katamari on the PSP, but honestly, the system's looking a bit bleak. There aren't as many exciting games for the PSP, and the DS has a varied selection.

When, you know, Nintendo bothers to advertise it. Nintendo Australia sucks.

12-01-2005 at 05:47 AM
Nillo
Rank Points: 548
I think that what console is better depends on what you want to do with it. If you rather watch videos/listen to music than play stuff then PSP is for you. On the other hand, if you buy a gaming console primarily because you want to play games on it, the Developer System is the better choice, since it has more good games. AWDS, Canvas Curse, Dawn of Sorrow, Mario Kart, you name it. I think Metroid Prime is going to rock too.

On a side note, what's up with the sudden enlargement of my avatar? Freaky.

“Folks say that if you listen real close at the height of the full moon, when the wind is blowin' off Nantucket Sound from the nor' east and the dogs are howlin' for no earthly reason, you can hear the awful screams of the crew of the 'Ellie May,' a sturdy whaler Captained by John McTavish; for it was on just such a night when the rum was flowin' and, Davey Jones be damned, big John brought his men on deck for the first of several screaming contests.”
12-01-2005 at 10:19 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Zmann
Rank Points: 241
icon Re: DS vs. PSP (+1)  
gamer_extreme_101 wrote:
First of all, it's not the Nintendo Dual-Screen. it's the Nintendo Developer's System.
Wikipedia seems to think both are correct. As do I.

EDIT: Ew. Did someone implement an auto-scaling of avatars?

[Last edited by Zmann at 12-01-2005 02:50 PM]
12-01-2005 at 02:48 PM
Oneiromancer
The avatars thing has to do with the forums being relocated to forum.caravelgames.com . All of the avatars were changed to that new address so if you browse the forum from www.drod.net/forum then it thinks the avatar is off-site and thus it auto-scales it. Since we all will have to move to the new location eventually, might as well make the change now and your avatars will look fine. :) The columns might get misaligned (well, this is Firefox 1.5 only and there seems to be a fix in effect)...but the avatars will look normal again!

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams

[Last edited by Oneiromancer at 12-01-2005 03:37 PM]
12-01-2005 at 03:37 PM
Oneiromancer
After seeing this thread mentioned in the rant thread, I figure I should post about my DS experience. I also want to call out Chalks, who has said many times that he hates the DS and loves the PSP, but never said why. Is it just because he has a PSP and enjoys playing it? Then hating the DS is just fanboyism. Has he actually played some of the DS games and not enjoyed them? Does he hate Nintendo in general? We may never know... I submit the following comic for my opinion on the PSP, though: click me. Although that topic is kind of taboo here. Practically the only game I really want for the PSP is the new GTA one...and that's going to be released on the PS2 with enhancements sometime this year anyway! And there's a port of Lumines on Underdogs too.

Anyway. I really enjoy most of the games I have for the DS. Considering that it was pretty much all I got for Christmas and that the games are cheap, and I got a raise at work recently so I could afford more games, I have 10 right now. The only one I've completed is Warioware: Touched because, well, I like all the Warioware games and this one is a bit shorter than the others, and it's easy to collect all the extras. So I just decided to up and do it.

Mario Kart DS is definitely one of the best Mario Karts out there. With 32 tracks, half of which are from other Mario Kart games, and the Mission mode, it just has so much playability it's pretty amazing. I've gotten my butt kicked by Clayton in the Wireless mode several times too. Good fun.

Meteos is probably the best "Match-3" game I've ever played. All the hype and reviews are right. It's totally the DS's Tetris...which is actually also coming out at some point, but I still might like this one better...

Kirby's Canvas Curse is a great, innovative platformer, which I am slowly making my way through. Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow looks great and I really should be enjoying it more than I am. I think it doesn't lend itself well to sporadic playtimes...I keep forgetting where I need to go, and I think I'm going through it too fast so that I'm underpowered when I get to the next area. And Metroid Prime Pinball has amazing graphics and music, and is probably the best console pinball game I've played since Devil's Crush on the TurboGrafx-16. Don't laugh! There were some great games for it! Good times!

So those are my favorite games up above. Then come the "meh" games. Polarium is a pretty limited puzzler. The Puzzle mode isn't bad, it's kind of like trapdoor puzzles, but it didn't hold my attention long. Super Mario 64 is both great and horrible. It's great because I loved the original game, and they really added a ton of extras. It's horrible because without an analog stick, the controls are really bad, and I just haven't been able to make myself get used to using the touchpad to move just yet. (I've always hated FPSs where you have to use the mouse to move or aim as well. Give me arrow keys or give me death! Original Doom 4evar!) Ahem. Finally, Yoshi Touch and Go seemed like it would be good, but basically the entire game seems to be the same two levels over and over again, and you're just trying to improve your score. Not really my cup of tea anymore on a game that costs more than a quarter.

Oh yes, and I have Mario and Luigi: Partners in Time as well. But I also decided to pick up Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga for the GBA so I could play them in order, so I haven't ever loaded up the sequel. And I'm only perhaps 1/3 of the way through the first one right now. It's pretty good, although I liked Paper Mario for the GC better.

So yeah, there's my reviews in a nutshell. I really wish Meteos had an online wireless capacity, but I think that the new Tetris will, so that will be cool. Overall I'm quite pleased with it, I haven't even lost the original stylus yet, and I'm looking forward to more great games in the future.

Game on,

01-27-2006 at 07:16 AM
Ezlo
Rank Points: 1214
Ooh! Can I post my experience too! First of all, the reason I got a DS is because it was cheaper, the games are cheaper, and as much as I hate to admit it, I'm a Metroid fanboy. :smile Let see, games that I own.

Super Mario 64 DS
It was decent, and it had a lot of improvement over the original version. But I was disapointed over the lack of a analog stick too. Basiclly, this game tided me over until I got my next game.

Polarium
I completely got hooked on this game! Trapdoor puzzles are my favorite part of DROD, and this game kept me occupied for hours!

Yoshi Touch and Go
I agree with Onei here, the game is basiclly an arcade game that costs thirt dollars for unlimited plays.

Trace Memory
An easy Myst style game, with some puzzles that really took advantage of the DS functions! It didn't take me that long to beat, but it was enjoyable.

Pheniox Wright: Ace Attorney
One of my favorite games I ever played on any of my systems! This game had it all! It had a great storyline, which you really need to play a lot into before it really starts, GREAT music, and a bit of humor. I would easily recomend this game to anyone who even thinks about getting a DS.

Trauma Center: Under the Knife
I tried at my friends house, and I got ill. I don't think I'll be buying it any time soon. Just not my type of game.

Nintendogs
Bought it for my sister, and it's pretty fun. But addicting. The microphone works quite well. The only problem is that you have to keep your voice at the same pitch almost all the time, or else the dog won't listen too you.

Advance Wars: Dual Strike
Not very realistic, but who wants that in their tactical strategy games? It's fun, It's hard, It's worth the money.

Sonic Rush
I personally don't see what all the fuss is about. The critics mostly say that it's like the old genesis games, but I think that it's not that good. It's better than the GBA games, and MUCH better than the recent console games, but nothing can ever live up to the glory of Sonic 3 & Knuckles! (I'm also a genesis fanboy, can you tell?)

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
Great game, It took me a long time to beat with 100%, this is another game that has so great music that I sometime just turned it on to listen to it.

Mario Kart DS
I love it! 32 tracks, 12 racers with 3 cars each, online play, I'm in heaven! Get a DS just for this game and Pheniox Wright, seriously.

Mario and Luigi 2: Partners in Time
The original was better. It had better jokes, it was longer, it was harder, it had Fawful as a satring role. Rent it, don't buy it. I finished it in about 8 hours. The original took me 23.

[Last edited by Ezlo at 01-27-2006 01:25 PM]
01-27-2006 at 01:25 PM
trick
Rank Points: 2580
Oneiromancer wrote:
I submit the following comic for my opinion on the PSP, though: click me.
If that's what you're after, you'd be better off getting a GP2X :)

I don't have any handhelds, but if I were to get one of these, I think I'd get a DS. Maybe a GP2X too, if I could afford both. The PSP, however, just doesn't interest me very much at all. If I want to play that kind of games, I've got my Playstation 2.

- Gerry
01-27-2006 at 06:59 PM
Oneiromancer
Heh, I had never heard of that before. Very interesting! Though, seriously, I wouldn't buy a PSP just because of the emulation, but it would be an added perk.

Game on,

01-27-2006 at 07:05 PM
ClaytonW
Rank Points: 961
Oneiromancer wrote:I've gotten my butt kicked by Clayton in the Wireless mode several times too. Good fun.
Now now, the records clearly state that I've won 6 out of 7 grand prixs against you. I wouldn't call that a butt-kicking...

...Okay, yeah I would. Ooooh, eat red shell! :thumbsup

I own 6 games now for my DS:

1. Animal Crossing: Wild World (9.5/10)
Clearly the most fun you can possibly have playing a game designed for little kids. A charming "life-sim non-game" that has enough to do to keep you occupied for an hour or two (or more!) every single day in a real-time villiage with neighbors, a museum, fishing, collecting, gardening, drawing, buying/selling, working, and sipping coffee in the basement of a museum while listening to a guitar-playing white mystery-breed dog. My only complaint is the limitedness of the Wi-Fi feature in this game. Sure, you can visit other players' towns and interact with them real-time, but with the exception of buying their store merchandise, and vandalising their property, Wi-Fi AC:WW feels like a "look but don't touch" experience. You aren't allowed to do a wide variety of simple things in other players towns. (Got a DS and AC:WW with Wi-Fi? PM me and you can come visit my town, Risembul.)

2. Mario Kart DS (9.5/10)
Ooh! They brought back jumping with the right trigger! Sweet! Absolutely the greatest Mario Kart title to date. Can't say much that hasn't already been said, except that the lack of battle mode over Wi-Fi is very dissapointing... Maybe for the Revolution, eh? (Got a DS and MKDS with Wi-Fi? PM me and we can arrange for a race... or are you chicken? :))

3. Metroid Prime Pinball (9/10)
Almost as good as a real pinball table, the game falls short of a perfect 10 in my book for being too short, and only allowing use of the Magmoor Caverns table for DS to DS play. This game truly captures the look, feel, and sound of Metroid Prime on the GC. When you play, it just "feels" like Metroid Prime, honest. Incredible, with I think just the right amount of difficulty. I beat it in the first week, but hey, there's always high scores to beat.

4. Meteos (7/10)
This was the first game I played on the DS at a friends house, and that convinced me to ask for a DS for Christmas, so why the seven? I just like MKDS, AC:WW, and MPP a lot better. I think I probably just haven't invested enough time in the game to truly appreciate it. But that doesn't mean I don't find it very entertaining and addictive. I've played for 3-hour sittings before. Also, I guess I'm not much of a match-3 player. Tetris on Wi-Fi will consume my soul when its released, however. :)

5. Trauma Center: Under the Knife (9/10)
An extremely addicting, and exciting surgeon game that makes great use of the DS's two screens and touch screen. I've yet to beat this one becasue I keep killing my patient in one of the higher-up surgeries, so I'm taking a break from it. (hang in there, dying patient, I'm just going to play Mario Kart for a bit!) The 1 point is lost for me because of poor story, and the "fantasy" disease that becomes the focus of nearly every surgery after a certain point in the game. I was very excited to perform surgeries to remove glass from the chest of a car accident victim, and to burn away little polyps in the throat of a famous singer, and having to perform a surgery on a patient while in a violently turbulent airplane (so fun). but eventually the excitement fades when you end up doing a series of repetitive procedures concerning the G.U.I.L.T. virus. However, nice breaks are thrown in to the mix with some puzzle surgeries, and even having to perform surgery on... well... a time bomb.

6. Battles of Prince of Persia (2/10)
Ouch... this was a gift. I won't take credit for buying this game. It's low score is merely because its just not my genre. If you enjoyed the three, 3D wall-running blade-yielding POP games released in the past few years, and are expecting the same for your DS, don't be fooled. BoPoP is not that game. It's essentially a card + turn-based strategy game, reminiscent of Advance Wars (IMO), which I hated. Just not my genre, sorry.

And that's it. Alright. I should be in bed.
01-28-2006 at 07:30 AM
NekoIncardine
My current DS games and PSP experiences (I don't have one):

PSP:
1) Lumines - okay, this game's damn amazing. So simple, but so beautiful. It just... Works, and it's one puzzler that I do not think could work on the Nintendo DS or other portable systems.
2) Metal Gear Ac!d - I don't care what the fanboys who hate this game becase it's not Espionage Action like the rest of the Metal Gear series say, this game is fun. Metal Yu-Gi-Oh Tactics is my joking name for it, but the combination honestly works pretty brilliantly, especially if you think your way through the games like I usually do. It's also the closest to DROD I think we're going to get on a portable system for a long time (the Guards and other elements are pretty damn predictable given enough time), which is a feather in the cap.
3) Burnout Legends. Okay, so it's nothing to the PS2 versions. But for portable gaming? Pretty damn close.
4) Wipeout Pure. Burnout Legends with less awesome and more soundtrack I can actually stand listening to.

DS:
1) Mario Kart DS. If you have played any Mario Kart before, get a DS and get this, that's all I can say. If you haven't, get a DS and get this, that's all I can say. To me, this game is a true must-get.
2) Burnout Legends. THree words: Avoid, avoid, avoid. Luckily I only rented this one, it is bad.
3) Feel The Magic xy/xx. If you're an anime nerd like me, you'll probably love this little piece of Japanese Quirk. If not... Well, I'd try it, but this game may not be your cup of Tea. If you liked Incredible Crisis for the Playstation, though, this is an excellent game in that vein.
4) Meteos. The second of three must-get DS games in my opinion. It's Tetris Attack turned vertical, basically, so if you liked Tetris attack, you owe it to yourself to get this. The Launch gimmack's a great twist on normal puzzling, too; it makes the game a lot less 'combo'-oriented.
5) Puyo Pop Fever. The third one in my opinion, but I'm a strong fanboy of the Puyo line. Also, the voices are incredibly annoying - which sucks because the music feels perfect to the game.
6) Polarium - I actually liked the action mode on this a lot, and this is an excellent show-off of a game that you just can't do on the PSP or GBA. Until Meteos came out, this was the most direct answer to Lumines available; now, It's a definate 'try and maybe consider if you like it'. It's like Trapdoor puzzles in DROD; some people love them, others hate them.
7) Megaman Battle Network 5 Double Team DS - besides having one of the longest names among DS games, this one's... well, if you've played a Megaman BAttle Network game before, it's much the same. If you've played two and noticed how each has a bunch of small but significant evolutions on the battle system, this one has them too. It's way way waaaay better than the two GBA versions, though. Except for the voice acting. But even that isn't all THAT bad.
8) Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow. I'm not really sure what to say about this one, other than that Castlevania fans owe it to themselves to get this game, and that the little bits of humor that are common to much of this series are a LOT funnier here than in past attempts. (Yetimari Damacy for the win.)

Edit: Two games I've tried and intend to get, are Phoenix Wright (if I can find it :( ) and Trauma Center.

"LEt's begin the operation-"
"OBJECTION!"

[Last edited by NekoIncardine at 01-31-2006 05:26 AM]
01-31-2006 at 05:15 AM
Chalks
Oneiromancer wrote:
After seeing this thread mentioned in the rant thread, I figure I should post about my DS experience. I also want to call out Chalks, who has said many times that he hates the DS and loves the PSP, but never said why. Is it just because he has a PSP and enjoys playing it? Then hating the DS is just fanboyism. Has he actually played some of the DS games and not enjoyed them? Does he hate Nintendo in general? We may never know...

Game on,
Well, I've been avoiding the electronics board for awhile now. no particular reason other than... nope, no reason.

Anyways, there are several things I dislike about the DS. First, of all the games I've played on the DS, very few have actually utilized the dual-screen capability effeciently. Furthermore, the DS itself is just a weird shape, and doesn't fit in my hands quite right, and then...when trying to use the touch screen, I just end up hurting myself. Also, I don't really like nintendo right now, partly because of that hideous thing known as a gamecube.

If all I had was a DS though, I would be happy. However, since I have seen/used a PSP, I would never be satisfied with a mere DS. The PSP is *slick*. It has amazing graphics, the controls are perfect (as in, placed in exactly the right way), and it fits in my hands like it was made for them. The games that have been made for the PSP are simply awesome, especially lumines. The game cartriges are neat looking, and are rather simple to care for. Also, I'm turning back into a Playstation fan (xbox stole my heart for awhile there). I can *not* wait for the PS3...especially the first blu ray rpg that comes out. 50GB of pure fun. hehe

So, now you know. :)
02-01-2006 at 03:57 AM
Abbyzzmal
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 348
I've never liked 3D games very much, mainly because they take you out of the moment, what with the constant camera readjusting and reframing and struggling to make the two dimensional controller move you in the direction you intended.

For this reason, I am grateful for the DS, as it has become a next-generation setting for games that are both old-fashioned and new-fangled. We get new 2D platformers and new puzzle-games as well as non-genred pieces like Electroplankton. These are probably not everyone's cup of tea, but last summer, when I first learned of the fish-music non-game, I bought a DS and imported it within a day. And it has been consistantly fun. It is a toy instead of a competition, an experience instead of a game, and the fact that it can exist makes me happy.

For I've often thought that videoed games are a squandered potential. Art, it seems, is generally about forming a connection between the creator and the viewer, and here you have a medium where the viewer interacts directly with the work. But instead of new canvases to see and play with, the viewer gets goal after goal and the occasional satisfaction from completing a goal.

And that is fun. However, it gets tiring for some of us after a while, saving all those virtual worlds. It's nice to have something freeform. Katamari Damacy has that trait to an extent, but I can't think of many other interactive digital media pieces where the focus is more on exploration and you, the player of the game, carefree, just sightseeing in the virtual world paved by some distant programmers.
02-01-2006 at 04:43 AM
Oneiromancer
Hmmm, that's not too bad of an argument. I mean, if I happened to have a PSP, I certainly wouldn't throw it away or anything, and I'd enjoy what games I had.

I just never understand the people who swear loyalty to a particluar console. It's all about the games to me. If I liked the games on the XBox that didn't also show up on my PC, then I might actually get one. But I'm not an FPS fan and all the RPGs on the XBox that I think I would like are also on the PC. So I never saw a need to get one. And so far I definitely see no need for an XBox 360, since Oblivion will be on the PC, and that's the only game coming out for it that really interests me. Again, if I had one (and I did for a short time, before I sent it off to my brother since he's been trying to get one forever, but of course I didn't open it) I would probably find something worth playing, but what it has so far doesn't justify the expense to me.

Anyway, if you think that there aren't any DS games that take advantage of the touch screen, that was definitely true over a year ago when the console was new. I didn't think I wanted one then either. But since then the library has grown by leaps and bounds, and there are some really amazing games, and the DS-haters have gotten really quiet. ;) Hopefully the PSP will get a good, non-UMD library. But at least I am happy that GTA: Liberty City Stories is coming to PS2 anyway. :)

Game on,

02-01-2006 at 04:47 AM
NekoIncardine
Oneiromancer wrote:
But at least I am happy that GTA: Liberty City Stories is coming to PS2 anyway. :)

Admittedly, I'm not a GTA fan in the slightest, but WHY?!?!?!? The series is not exactly known for having an interconnected plot (unless I'm missing something big), but given that Liberty City Stories was made with the PSP in mind (and provided 2.0+ PSP users with the PSP's most awesome functionality again), I sort of wonder what the point is in porting what is (as far as I know) a remix of GTA3 to the PS2. Then again, I have kicked the ass out of Metal Gear Solid 2 and as soon as I see it, plan to get MGS2: Substance, so I guess it's in the eye of the beholder, huh?

I'm a DS fan primarily because the thing's cheaper, though, I'll admit it.

02-07-2006 at 07:53 AM
Ezlo
So I looked at the list of games coming out for the DS this year, and compared to last year, there aren't , many big titles right now.

1. Super Princess Peach.
2. New Super Mario Bros.
3. Metroid Prime Hunters.

Any other I'm missing? I can't think of any.
02-07-2006 at 11:45 AM
Abbyzzmal
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 348
As I recall:

Final Fantasy 3
Seiken Densetsu DS
A Warioland game of some sort
Tingle RPG
Tetris DS
That Mario Basketball game developed by Square?
Xenosaga 1 and 2
Was there an announcement about a Zelda game?
Oh! Monkey Ball!

I don't know. It doesn't look bad. And I'm sure there will be interesting games that come out of nowhere.
02-07-2006 at 04:40 PM
Ezlo
Is Final Fantasy 3 actually Final Fnatasy 3? Or is it 6?
02-07-2006 at 04:54 PM
Mattcrampy
I remember them saying something about FF3j, but I forgot about Xenosaga. Tetris DS is looking most interesting.

I think that, even if the DS lineup is looking slim, that it won't be a huge problem for Nintendo - they have developers willing to believe in the DS now, and that's valuable.

02-08-2006 at 01:37 AM
Oneiromancer
NekoIncardine wrote:
Oneiromancer wrote:
But at least I am happy that GTA: Liberty City Stories is coming to PS2 anyway. :)
Admittedly, I'm not a GTA fan in the slightest, but WHY?!?!?!? The series is not exactly known for having an interconnected plot (unless I'm missing something big), but given that Liberty City Stories was made with the PSP in mind (and provided 2.0+ PSP users with the PSP's most awesome functionality again), I sort of wonder what the point is in porting what is (as far as I know) a remix of GTA3 to the PS2. Then again, I have kicked the ass out of Metal Gear Solid 2 and as soon as I see it, plan to get MGS2: Substance, so I guess it's in the eye of the beholder, huh?
Heh. Well, from what I understand, it's not too hard to do the port, so it will be easy money for them. Not many people have a PSP (which isn't too surprising if the population of this forum is a representative cross-section of the average consumer) but a whole bunch of people already have a PS2.

As to why I would want to play a "remix" of GTA3...well, they made a lot of improvements to the engine in Vice City and San Andreas. I mean...just to be able to ride a motorcycle in Liberty City almost makes it worth it to me. ;) It will be like visiting an old friend...and yes, I know that sounds pathetic, but if it's fun, then that's all that matters to me. They have a good track record with their sequels in my book, so until they screw that up, I'll keep buying their games.

Game on,

02-08-2006 at 05:44 AM
Banjooie
Rank Points: 1645
NekoIncardine wrote:
The series is not exactly known for having an interconnected plot (unless I'm missing something big).

Oh?

Let's look at San Andreas for a minute, here.

We're in 1992, for the record.

and now, spoilers.

Click here to view the secret text

So, yeah, I'd say, offhand, that there's a coherent interconnected plot.

[Last edited by Banjooie at 02-08-2006 09:34 PM]
02-08-2006 at 09:32 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
Page 1 of 2
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : Other Boards : Electronic Games : DS vs. PSP (The two big portables)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com