Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Truthbringer Info Exchange (A place for bartering information) This topic has been locked
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll
Poster Message
agaricus5
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1838
IP: Logged
icon Re: Truthbringer Info Exchange (0)  
Aah, but I am the most trustworthy person there is here. Why?

See here for an explanation (in short, technical problems have led to me not being a participant in this contest).

But this is not a problem. After all, even in the most hotly contested political races, there is often influence from people outside the system completely, who cannot gain directly from the outcome, but who nevertheless wish to affect the outcome. I happen to be one of those people. (Note: The motivation is for me to have some fun in this contest too, not to cheat in some way for personal gain, just in case anyone's being cynical :)).

So, I will also act as a trader of information, sharing the resource completely free of risk with anyone who wishes to trade. I shall never lie to anyone at any point, since I don't need to, and so it can be taken that any clue I send you is accurate according to the person who sent it to me.

Ahem!

The first 10 people to send me one clue will get one clue from all the other people that send me anything.

10 people have sent me clues. The three that have recently come in will be sent shortly to everyone involved. No more offers will be accepted (for now).

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 11-09-2005 12:53 AM]
11-08-2005 at 11:23 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds
ErikH2000
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 2794
Don't trust him. Beneath his smiling exterior lies only hate and envy. After being spurned, he seeks to destroy everyone in the contest. It is the only revenge that will satisfy him.

-Erik

11-08-2005 at 11:28 PM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds
agaricus5
ErikH2000 wrote:
Don't trust him. Beneath his smiling exterior lies only hate and envy. After being spurned, he seeks to destroy everyone in the contest. It is the only revenge that will satisfy him.
Yes...yessssss! They come like sheep to the (arrgfhh!) *bump*

They...

*scrape*

Ah. Hmm... What was I saying? There is no hate or envy at all within my soul, for it is untainted by the political motives of this contest, and so remains pure. I merely strive to spread the information I receive around to people for the greater good of advancing knowledge.

In any case, there are three offers remaining. I will send clues out to people at around 12:15 or when I receive 10 clues (whichever is first).

[Last edited by agaricus5 at 11-08-2005 11:45 PM]
11-08-2005 at 11:44 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds
zaubberer
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 251
special offer:

i have some "hardfacts". means: clues which are really concrete about someone (...35th pioneer works in the garage...). i'll trade them for some other hardfacts.

send me one and i'll send you one back. the worst thing that can happen is: it is one fact i even have in my portfolio. so i will reply the same to verificate it a little bit.

send me two "hardfacts" and i send back to you one different hardfact and two other clues.

trading the "normal" way also welcome!

zaubberer
thruthbringer of our famous stalwart captain, trainee too

sharing informations brings more effectivity. (slogan of the formerly director of the Great Information Office)
11-08-2005 at 11:49 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores
Chalks
Rank Points: 267
I'm having so much fun trying to GET information, that I haven't taken time to actually look at the map...... I think I'll do that. I still want to trade with people though, so send me a msg!

I'll be back in just a few hours. :D
11-08-2005 at 11:55 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts
TripleM
Rank Points: 1373
I have a list of about 10-15 clues which I have heard from just one person; no more. If anyone wants to PM me and can tell me if they have heard any of my list from more than one person, I will gladly do the same in return (well, lets say I will confirm the same number that you can confirm for me, or something like that.)
11-08-2005 at 11:58 PM
Tim
Rank Points: 1979
I'm just starting, and I really don't have time to make up clues now, so anyone sending me an number of clues will get the same number of clues back, with a maximum of five. Please don't send more, I can't process them anyway.

Please be quick though, it's already 0100 AM here and I really need to get up in five hours :thumbsdown

[ I'm going to bed now, although my offer still stands... :closedeyes ]

-- Tim

[Last edited by Tim at 11-09-2005 12:35 AM]
11-09-2005 at 12:09 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds
Rabscuttle
Rank Points: 2460
Is it just me or does everyone expect me to send them stuff first before they'll send me stuff?

FINE.

Caves containing the Office of Inequities and 70th Archivist are on opposite sides of Tunnel C.

This is one of my clues.

Send me two clues, I'll send you another one.

11-09-2005 at 12:13 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds
RoboBob3000
Rank Points: 1978
icon The Most Truthful of all True Truths (0)  
The n00b revolution is now in full swing, with multiple kind souls funnelling their goods to those who (it might be debated) deserve them most. If you feel like this contest is beyond your grasp or if you feel like letting some of the lesser-knowns take a stab at the challenge, I encourage you to PM me. You don't even neccessarily have to give me your info; I'll give you the names of the few new contest entrants who have taken me up on my offer and you can forward your info directly to them. Only one condition though:

I'll only be accepting the most truthful of all true truths. Any truths that are found to be less true than some truer truths will be dropped from consideration.

Thank you for your time.

[Last edited by RoboBob3000 at 11-09-2005 12:45 AM]
11-09-2005 at 12:44 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds
Swivel
Rank Points: 236
ErikH2000 wrote:
Heh heh heh. This is fun to watch. :)

-Erik
I was going to give you a negative mod point, Erik. By the way, can you read our PMs? Or would that be too totalitarian?

If this puzzle was in a room where we could actually see people and their expressions, there would be a lot less lieing going around. Jeesh, Erik, by politics I thought that you meant political systems. Not blantant disregard for the truth. Oh, but that's why it's called Truthbringers, isn't it?

[greekhumanistphilosopher]And so we as humans find ourselves entangled in the deadly web of relativity that we have set up for ourselves. It is as though the human psyche, already a meaninglessly complicated enigma, has been viewed through the tinted lenses of competition and its output distorted. Where shall it end? For do not tell lies, but forms of lies which, in themself, are not actually untruth but a minor inversion of the form of truth. Truth, of course, is unreachable. Although it is put into being by the human conciousness and experience, its perception and explanation often distort it. Oh, why must we further distort truth?[/greekhumanistphilosopher]

11-09-2005 at 12:46 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts
agaricus5
agaricus5 wrote:
Ahem!

The first 10 people to send me one clue will get one clue from all the other people that send me anything.

10 people have sent me clues. The three that have recently come in will be sent shortly to everyone involved. No more offers will be accepted (for now).
Just to make it clear if you didn't see the edit, I have had 10 people send clues to me, so no more offers will be accepted (you may send them to me nonetheless for free - I will find some use for the resources I gather from you). Clues will be sent shortly.

11-09-2005 at 12:56 AM
ErikH2000
Rank Points: 2794
Swivel wrote:
Jeesh, Erik, by politics I thought that you meant political systems.

We've already seen some different political systems here. RoboBob3000 is trying to bring power to the underprivileged. A number of free trade agreements have been proposed. A neutral arbiter has arrived--will he act as a judge to resolve disputes? There's probably some rudimentary blacklists and whitelists floating around. There's people trying to demonstrate their trustworthiness like candidates for office, i.e. vote for eytanz, he's playing for the sake of the puzzle, not for self gain.

Lots of politics--just like I wanted.

-Erik

11-09-2005 at 01:16 AM
View Profile Send Email to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds
kie
Rank Points: 221
Has everyone gone to sleep? :closedeyes

11-09-2005 at 02:56 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts
Chalks
no.
11-09-2005 at 03:00 AM

Level: Guest
Rank Points: 0
Truthbringers can be a coy lot, and often they are in different timezones. How is one to know who would be a good person to talk to?

This is where I come in! I'm volunteering my time to be a matchmaker. Just PM me with the subjects you want to know about and the subjects you're willing to offer up in trade (don't send me any clues!) and I'll PM you back with the name of someone who wants what you've got and is willing to give you what you need. You can strike up a conversation from there.

Remember, I'm only a matchmaker! It's still up to you to get the clues and work out which ones are real.
11-09-2005 at 03:33 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Edit/Delete |
kie
Rank Points: 221
icon Re: Truthbringer Info Exchange (+1)  
mmmmm methinks matchmaker maybe making mischief

11-09-2005 at 04:03 AM

Level: Guest
Rank Points: 0
What mischief could I make? I don't want your clues, I just want to keep the clues circulating.
11-09-2005 at 04:34 AM
View Profile Show all user's posts Edit/Delete |
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Ok - last chance to join in on my deal!

I believe that as of right now, I have all the information necessary to solve the puzzle. I also believe that after deep analysis, I know which information I have is true and which is false.

So, either tonight or tomorrow morning (depending on when I fall asleep), I will solve the puzzle, and at that moment, the deal ends, and a 24 hour timer begins. Either I, or someone else who is on my deal, will solve the puzzle by the time the timer ends. So unless you are supremely confident of your own abilities to solve this puzzle before Thursday morning (my time) - I suggest you send me your data and join in the race to victory.

11-09-2005 at 04:56 AM
HopelessAmateur
Rank Points: 177
Matchmaker wrote:
What mischief could I make? I don't want your clues, I just want to keep the clues circulating.
So that's why you hide your real identity... :P
11-09-2005 at 08:17 AM
Oneiromancer
Rank Points: 2936
Oh, the admins know who he is. He didn't exactly try to change his IP address or anything like that. :) But as far as I can tell, it's a legitimate part of the game, so he can have his fun. (Note: "he" is used in the gender-neutral form, and is not meant to imply that this person is necessarily male. ;) )

Game on,

"He who is certain he knows the ending of things when he is only beginning them is either extremely wise or extremely foolish; no matter which is true, he is certainly an unhappy man, for he has put a knife in the heart of wonder." -- Tad Williams
11-09-2005 at 08:32 AM
KevG
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 333
icon NEW OFFER!!! (+1)  
NEW OFFER!!!

O.K., my original offer to send my five original clues with no strings attached has netted me 46 out of the 43 clues. I suppose it's possible I've screwed up and am counting a clue twice, but I don't believe I've done it 3 times.

Therefore, I've clearly been lied to. I have no idea how many of the real clues I'm still missing. Even worse, I have no idea how many people didn't actually send me their real original clues. Clues that appear to be independently verified may actually be false.
So, time to ramp up the offer. PM me and I will send you a list of all 46 clues I currently have along with the names of those players who sent them to me (The first five are mine). I will be updating the list if I get new information, but only with clues that are purported to be first hand knowledge.

In return, I would appreciate any information you currently have, preferably labeled as to source. The only thing I actually ask is that you don't knowingly send me false information.

Oh yeah, my offer to send out my original five clues still stands if anyone is interested. Like I said before, I would appreciate your original five, but only ask for no false clues.

Edit: The offer is still open. But, I'm going to bed and then work, so I won't be checking any PMs for roughly 18 hours after this edit.

[Last edited by KevG at 11-09-2005 06:52 PM : new info]
11-09-2005 at 09:17 AM
TripleM
I did think, too late, that it would be a great idea to team up with a couple of other people and all agreed to spread a few false clues. With 3 people agreeing on them, it would be pretty hard to break. But, I didn't think of that until too late :( I haven't lied to anybody. Yet. Probably won't, and thats why I probably won't win..
11-09-2005 at 09:22 AM
TripleM
icon Important discovery (0)  
30. Caves containing the Dispatcher and the Complaint Department are on opposite sides of Tunnel D.

Six people claimed to have this as an original:
Chalks Jolima MeckMeck TripleM Robobob Tim.

At least one of these people is not to be trusted (of course, its not me.)
11-09-2005 at 10:01 AM
jamie
Rank Points: 365
ErikH2000 wrote:
We've already seen some different political systems here. RoboBob3000 is trying to bring power to the underprivileged. A number of free trade agreements have been proposed. A neutral arbiter has arrived--will he act as a judge to resolve disputes? There's probably some rudimentary blacklists and whitelists floating around. There's people trying to demonstrate their trustworthiness like candidates for office, i.e. vote for eytanz, he's playing for the sake of the puzzle, not for self gain.

Lots of politics--just like I wanted.

-Erik
:lol It's really fun to watch.. I wish I'd joined in now!

11-09-2005 at 10:32 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts
Znirk
Rank Points: 613
icon Re: Truthbringer Info Exchange (+3)  
Gah, I'm hopeless at this sort of thing. I just can't keep track of who said what when I read a busy thread like this ...

Anyway, since 1) Eytan(?) is pretending to be ready to solve, 2) I don't remember which of the "deals" proposed would have been his, and 3) I haven't touched the game at all yet, I've decided to just believe him and not start collecting clues for myself. My six clues are below. I suspect one of them might be a lie, but I don't know which.

Click here to view the secret text

11-09-2005 at 12:28 PM
Chalks
icon Re: Important discovery (0)  
TripleM wrote:
30. Caves containing the Dispatcher and the Complaint Department are on opposite sides of Tunnel D.

Six people claimed to have this as an original:
Chalks Jolima MeckMeck TripleM Robobob Tim.

At least one of these people is not to be trusted (of course, its not me.)

I sent that clue to you, jolima, meckmeck, robobob, and tim... and it was my original clue. I don't know why I'm defending myself though. at least you know it's probably true!

btw, I stayed up so late last night trying to figure this thing out, that I was late to work today. :angry hehe lol. :D
11-09-2005 at 01:20 PM
Mattcrampy
Rank Points: 2388
Maurog said this:

"The Office of Renaming is farther north than tunnel F."

Some other, independently verified information I have leaves tunnel F without a home. I'm about 75% sure that Maurog is therefore a dirty rotten liar.

This swells to 95% when, in his original PM to me, he mentioned that he only wanted to be truthful and expected the same. I'd strongly suggest stonewalling him.

Edit: The ironic thing is that Maurog gave me a real clue that I didn't have to 'confirm his trustworthyness' by sharing a clue I already knew.

[Last edited by Mattcrampy at 11-09-2005 01:38 PM]
11-09-2005 at 01:28 PM
Chalks
and yet, everything I've gotten from him seems to be checking out ok....
11-09-2005 at 01:37 PM
KevG
Rank Points: 333
I received the same clue from Maurog, I haven't been able to independently verify it. In addition, I received the following clue from him: The 4th Secretary works in the Office of Reprimands. Schep and Zauberber sent me the same clue, but spelled it Fourth Secretary. This leads to the conclusion that Maurog retyped his clues instead of cutting and pasting them from the E-mail. That introduces the possibility of an accidental mistake while copying his clues.
11-09-2005 at 01:42 PM
schep
Rank Points: 865
Funny, Maurog told me Office of Renaming is farther north than Tunnel C. Which also was involved in a contradiction. And he didn't send the true fact previously mentioned among his five to me.

11-09-2005 at 01:54 PM
Page 2 of 3
New Topic New Poll
Caravel Forum : Caravel Boards : Contests : Truthbringer Info Exchange (A place for bartering information) This topic has been locked
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com