Announcement: Remember: you are giving away your fantastic ideas for free, and somebody else might even make money from them (or appear to). That's just how the world works! If you're worried about it, maybe you shouldn't post your ideas here.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Distance meter (new editor tool)
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
b0rsuk
Level: Smiter
Rank Points: 489
IP: Logged
icon Distance meter (+1)  
Hey

Sometimes it would be very good to have a tool which can calculate length of brained roach path from A to B. Sometimes we're too lazy to do it manually each time. And brained roaches are already there, so it should be possible to get them a new job.

It would be very useful in puzzles with brains. Especially if there are mutliple enemies coming from multiple sides.

http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20051128/adams_01.shtml

[Last edited by b0rsuk at 11-03-2005 09:17 PM]
11-03-2005 at 09:16 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
skinsmen
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 26
icon Re: Distance meter (0)  
Do you mean this tool would tell you how many turns it would take to get to Beethro? I'm guessing this because that would make the most sense.
Could this be possible though? Seems to me it could be very hard to predict an accurate number because of the variables like: Where you entered the room, your movement, sword position etc.
11-09-2005 at 08:25 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
Krishh
Level: Master Delver
Rank Points: 282
Actually, this could be another mouse function: when you click on a moving monster (meaning no sleeping eyes, brains and mothers) and there is a brain in the room, a number flashes telling how long is the monsters currently calculated brain-path. This would not account for other monsters in the way and stuff like that of course.
11-09-2005 at 01:11 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
skinsmen
Level: Goblin
Rank Points: 26
Okay then... I don't see how this helps then. Since the presence of obstacles and other monsters would cause the number to be inaccurate if these aren't put into account...? :|
11-09-2005 at 09:42 PM
Banjooie
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1645
it would be primarily useful in, say, roach queen mazes, where monsters in the way don't matter.

11-09-2005 at 10:06 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
RoboBob3000
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 1978
icon Re: Distance meter (+1)  
Here's a somewhat similar idea. In the editor, we could have hashmarks along the sides of the editor screen marking off divisions of a certain length. Or perhaps a crosshair in the middle of the room, to quickly find the center.

These would be useful because I often find that when I attempt to make symmetrical rooms, I have to count squares all the way from the edge.

11-11-2005 at 03:55 AM
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Feature Requests : Distance meter (new editor tool)
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com