Announcement: Be excellent to each other.

Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Bugs: Creating a new hold in build 27
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Poster Message
StuartK
Level: Smitemaster
Rank Points: 564
IP: Logged

File: stuart.zip (139.2 KB)
Downloaded 47 times.
License: Other
icon Bugs: Creating a new hold in build 27 (0)  
I've experienced a number of issues (all in one post again, Erik :P ) On the plus side this time, I've got holds and dats and a large (10kB) drod.err, which I've attached.

I was attempting to create a hold to demonstrate the unusual tar baby on tar behaviour I mentioned in the editing thread.

First attempt wouldn't play, though it playtested fine. Error on pressing continue. I used the create second level and link to the first level workaround, but I still got an error. Actually, although it started the game fine with a second level, when I went down the stairs I got a crash to desktop. In the games current state, I don't have a second level.

Second attempt was wierder. I created a new hold (still in the same install) and copied the rooms across individually. When playing, the room contains no creatures, and Beethro does not start the level in the place I defined, despite it showing correctly in the editor, and playtesting fine.

I exported the holds (without errors) and attempted to import in another install of build 27, and I got a level not existing error for the first, and a data corruption error for the second.

I forget whether I was using a clean install with no player data with my first build 27 install, or if I had attempted to import my build 26 player data - there's no visual difference.

[Edited by StuartK on 07-08-2003 at 05:39 AM]
07-08-2003 at 06:36 AM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5064
icon Re: Bugs: Creating a new hold in build 27 (0)  
Thanks for staying on top of this. The good news is I think I've finally fixed at least a couple of these issues in build 28. I'll check everything out and tell you what I've found.

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-08-2003 at 03:59 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
Snicker
Level: Delver
Rank Points: 30
This is even weirder, and I'm not sure I can explain it properly.

First off, using a Toshiba Satellite laptop (ATI graphics), Windows XP Home w/ 256 MB and plenty of free HD space.

(all installations are to C:\\program files unless otherwise noted.)

Installed 1.5 to \\drod
Played it lots. Got to level 23.

Installed 1.623 to \\drod
Tore hair out when I realized that I'd lost my save game files. Time to start over.

Uninstalled everything.

Installed 1.5 to \\drod
Installed 1.623 to \\drod1.623
Installed 1.623 to \\drod 1.623 backup

Built Clancy's basement in \\drod1.623. After one of the saves, suddenly Drod 1.623 will no longer start. Clicking on icon causes the process to start but the game never actually fires up.

Installed 1.627 to \\drod 1.627
Installed 1.627 to \\drod 1.627 backup
Started Drod from \\drod 1.627 and imported save games. Oddly, it picked up the hold I was building from 1.623. Woot! Continued tweaking Clancy's basement.

Downloaded Claythro's Tower directly to \\drod 1.627\\data\\homemade
Fired up Drod from \\drod 1.627 - Game fails to start again.
Fired up Drod from \\drod 1.627 backup - game starts, and fortunately, there's an imported copy of Clancy's basement that's editable, so I can continue working on it. Imported Claythro's Tower properly this time (and it plays just fine).

renamed \\drod 1.627 to \\drod 1.627 borked
Installed 1.627 to \\drod 1.627
Fired it up. Imported files. No Clancy's basement. Weird.

So, long story short (too late!), it appears that I've done something to corrupt something that's preventing the program from even starting (or generating an err file).

Any thoughts?
07-08-2003 at 04:21 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Visit Homepage Show all user's posts Quote Reply
mrimer
Level: Legendary Smitemaster
Rank Points: 5064

File: DeadTar2.hold (1.1 KB)
Downloaded 50 times.
License: Other
StuartK wrote:
On the plus side this time, I've got holds and dats and a large (10kB) drod.err, which I've attached.
That's great! There's only a few errors repeating several times in drod.err, and they're all side-effects of bugs I think I've fixed for build 28.

I was attempting to create a hold to demonstrate the unusual tar baby on tar behaviour I mentioned in the editing thread.
Woah -- that's freaky! And pretty cool!

First attempt wouldn't play, though it playtested fine. Error on pressing continue. I used the create second level and link to the first level workaround, but I still got an error. Actually, although it started the game fine with a second level, when I went down the stairs I got a crash to desktop. In the games current state, I don't have a second level.
Yeah, this first hold is corrupted in the data file. I think the bug that caused it is fixed in build 28.

Second attempt was wierder. I created a new hold (still in the same install) and copied the rooms across individually. When playing, the room contains no creatures, and Beethro does not start the level in the place I defined, despite it showing correctly in the editor, and playtesting fine.
This bug should also be fixed in build 28. (Let me guess what caused this: you pressed continue to look at the entrance room when the hold was first created, and then you went back to the editor to finish building the room(s). The modified room never showed up when you pressed continue again. Something along these lines... If so, then happily it's been fixed.)

I exported the holds (without errors) and attempted to import in another install of build 27, and I got a level not existing error for the first, and a data corruption error for the second.
The first hold can't be salvaged, but I exported and imported the second one fine. That means the data corrupted error you're getting could have been fixed too. I've attached the 2nd hold. Tell me whether you can import it fine.

I forget whether I was using a clean install with no player data with my first build 27 install, or if I had attempted to import my build 26 player data - there's no visual difference.
I don't think it matters.

Woo hoo! I'm happy -- doesn't sound like there are too many serious bugs out there aren't finally getting fixed!

And I come back to you now at the turn of the tide.
07-08-2003 at 04:48 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts High Scores This architect's holds Quote Reply
StuartK
Rank Points: 564
icon Re: Re: Bugs: Creating a new hold in build 27 (0)  
mrimer wrote:
StuartK wrote:
Woah -- that's freaky! And pretty cool!

My pleasure :) I wonder if there are any uses for this err.. bug (don't fix it! :D)

The first hold can't be salvaged, but I exported and imported the second one fine. That means the data corrupted error you're getting could have been fixed too. I've attached the 2nd hold. Tell me whether you can import it fine.

Fine, it works! I recommend it :P

Woo hoo! I'm happy -- doesn't sound like there are too many serious bugs out there aren't finally getting fixed!
:)
07-08-2003 at 09:12 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Send Email to User Show all user's posts Quote Reply
eytanz
Rank Points: 2708
Mike - the hold I posted in the "find the exit" thread also seems to suffer from a similar bug. To whit, it didn't work at all until I created a second level to it. After that, I could export it and import it - but in the imported version, the blue doors won't open even once all the required rooms are solved.

07-08-2003 at 09:51 PM
View Profile Send Private Message to User Show all user's posts This architect's holds Quote Reply
New Topic New Poll Post Reply
Caravel Forum : DROD Boards : Bugs : Bugs: Creating a new hold in build 27
Surf To:

Forum Rules:
Can I post a new topic? No
Can I reply? No
Can I read? Yes
HTML Enabled? No
UBBC Enabled? Yes
Words Filter Enable? No

Contact Us | CaravelGames.com